Vit C effects on blood glucose levels? Why no lipo reading?

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Vit C effects on blood glucose levels? Why no lipo reading?

Post by exitium » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Im just curious, had some basic labs done a couple weeks ago. Non fasted glucose was high. I dont remember exactly but based on timing of my appt there is a very good chance I had 2-4 grams of ascorbate within an hour of my blood draw. Would this have any bearing on my blood glucose?

FishermansWife
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Vit C effects on blood glucose levels?

Post by FishermansWife » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm

I read somewhere that vitamin c raises blood glucose levels. I researched this before starting vitamin c because I WAS hypoglycemic at the time.
My 5 year old Kota, "I know what vitamin c does, it hugs your heart."

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by jimmylesante » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Exitium
I believe the answer is yes it will show you have a raise in your glucose levels as the Vit C is read as glucose- this thread i believe is in depth.
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10603
Jimmy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:41 pm

exitium wrote:Im just curious, had some basic labs done a couple weeks ago. Non fasted glucose was high. I dont remember exactly but based on timing of my appt there is a very good chance I had 2-4 grams of ascorbate within an hour of my blood draw. Would this have any bearing on my blood glucose?

The answer is no.

However, did you just have a meal, or when was the last meal? Do you remember the numbers?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by exitium » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

ofonorow wrote:
exitium wrote:Im just curious, had some basic labs done a couple weeks ago. Non fasted glucose was high. I dont remember exactly but based on timing of my appt there is a very good chance I had 2-4 grams of ascorbate within an hour of my blood draw. Would this have any bearing on my blood glucose?

The answer is no.

However, did you just have a meal, or when was the last meal? Do you remember the numbers?

Yes, I had eating about 90 minutes before.

Werent you trying to do some testing with a glucose meter to contrast/compare oral VC compared to lipo VC? If a dose of VC was causing glucose meter to register higher glucose then wouldnt that be the same?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Yes, but the increase was after ingesting about 4-5 grams at once, and peaked around minute 20. After an hour, the numbers were almost back to the starting point. And different vitamin Cs peaked at different values, which weren't all that high (compared with intravenous vitamin C).

Much stronger (and longer) effect by eating (real glucose).
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sps2010 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Owen,

In some older threads, you reported an experiments on measuring plasma Vit C levels, after digesting Lypo C packets using a freestyle lite blood glucose monitor. If I remember correctly, your experiment did not show any increase in the reading after digesting 5 packs, even showed a drop of 60 points from base line.

Here is my experiment. Recently, I am taking 5 packets of Livon Lypo C twice a day and about 24 g of L-Ascorbic acid in four doses (why ? , that is another thread). In the morning session, I take 5 Lypo and 5.5 g of Ultra C. My measurements using the freestyle lite, before and after, showed only a diff of 10 point. However, later in the day when I took 5.5 g of Ultra C alone I got a spike of ~ 40 points.

Then I got hold of an NIH study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3725640/), which suggests that this method is not suitable for plasma concentrations below 50 mg/dL.

Any thoughts ?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:19 am

Assume I am old and dense. Do you have a link to the thread with your experiments/data?

Thanks for that pubmed study which "justifies" our like experiment. Here is the link to our crude measurements topic: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10603

I never fully understood why the Lypo-C blood measurements failed to show vitamin C (as they did after the UltraFINE ingestion) An expert I consulted said that the encapsulating liposome should not effect the glucose meter, it should be able to read the C encapsulated or not.

Also these measurements are really only valid or meaningful after fasting - when waking up in the a.m., and you need to take a couple of baseline readings, say after drinking a glass of water, etc. before starting. But if you can do this, I would really appreciate other readings of Lypo-C (and I may do some readings of our new China-FREE Quali-C liposomal.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:31 am

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sps2010 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:43 pm

I did not do a details experiment, as you did, just a couple readings. they are below:

7:00 AM 16 oz of water.
7:15 AM: base line 96 mg/mL
7:20 AM; 5 packs of Livon Lypo + 5.5 g of Ultra C
7:35 AM: Reading: 106 mg/mL
7:50 AM : Reading: 108 mg/mL

2:00 PM : baseline 105 mg/mL
2:05: PM 5.5 g Ultra C
2:20: reading: 146 mg/mL

Meter used: Freestyle lite.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Yes those readings do indeed seem strange. (I supposed I need to start pricking my fingers again. See if this is repeatable.)

Question: Why would the blood reading be so much higher for ultraFINE C alone - with out PLC (phospholipid choline)?

Time for a brainstorm about what may be going on before I shared my expert's comments with Johnwen (The expert actually worked on glucose meters, in a previous life.)

Guess #1 Perhaps when you take the ultra with the Livon (PLC) it gets emulsified something like the aloe/kiwi gel? Leading to.. #2

Guess #2 Perhaps Liposomal/PLC is immediately taken up by the liver, and the vitamin C is released more slowly out of the liver over time?

Guess #3 My expert is wrong and the nano sized bubbles can shield their contents from the electric shock created by the glucose measurement?

Now I'll look for his comments.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sps2010 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Additional Info:

Hydration: In every Vit C dose (lipo or Ultra C) I take at least 16 oz of water. If we assume that in the morning we are a little dehydrated, 15 min after taking 16 oz of water (no vit C), may not be getting me fully hydrated. Where as, at 2 PM I have numerous sources of liquid and, probably a bit more hydrated (?). So the base-line may be off a little.

Ph: Yes, that makes sense to me. Lipo being neutral (I presume) and the 2 PM Ultra C intake totally acidic, can throw off balance the meter's electrode response, specially when we are comparing the two.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:06 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 am

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Archive”