HYPOGLYCEMIA - HELP REQUESTED

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Dolev
quack
quack

HYPOGLYCEMIA - HELP REQUESTED

Post Number:#1  Post by Dolev » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:51 pm

I have a patient with hypoglycemia and candida, a usual combination caused at least partially by antibiotics at a young age. This 30 year-old woman has tried high-fat and protein diets, the standard complex carb diets, and even macrobiotics. Nothing works for her. She takes a handful of supplements: 2500 mg vitamin C chromium, omega-3, a probiotic (not a high dose), a very good multi and extra B complex, alpha-lipoic acid and more.

The only thing I could recommend is to try bowel tolerance vitamin C. She is working up to it, and writes to me after 4 days:
Thank-you for the articles. I will read through them
I am up to 14 grams of Vit. C. I am feeling pretty
good but it is causing a lot of gas. Is that normal?
What is it from?
Also, can yu please direct me somewhat in terms of how
to eat to help with the hypoglycemia. Iam really
struggling with it. It seems that my burning tongue
that lasted a few months went away when I started
trying to eat more protein to help the hypoglycemia -
I think the burning tongue was form a protein
deficiency but I really prefer grains and vegetables
and so many schools of thought stay that less protein
is better, how can I figure out what is good for me
and my conditions?

The next step will be to work on her digestion: enzymes and very high dose probiotics. I would love it if someone could share with me some experiences with or ideas about vitamin C for hypoglycemia/candida, other treatment for this condition, and her particular condition. She complained of headaches after starting vitamin C therapy - I assume that this may be released toxins (anyone with similar experience)? What can cause burning tongue?

I already know all the standard stuff about hypoglycemia and candida, so I'm looking for some out-of-the-box stuff. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Dolev

KENT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#2  Post by KENT » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:44 pm

My wife had a burnt tongue from the large doses of antibiotic and steroids she received from an extended hospital stay. I believe we calm the condition by coating her mouth and lips with non-fat organic yogurt and trying to keep the mouth coated as long as we could practically. We also coated the mouth with aloe vera juice.

She may also experience burning in her private areas and her bottom. Again, non-fat organic yogurt, aloe vera juice, and fresh green juice or wheat grass juice may provide some relief.

With deepest regards

Ken

Dolev
quack
quack

Update

Post Number:#3  Post by Dolev » Tue May 02, 2006 12:51 am

Here is part of my patients' latest e-mail. I would appreciate any suggestions about what she writes:

Today I will probably get up to 15 or 16 grams of
vitamin C. I have become very itchy - on my palms,
chest, scalp.... I assume that is from the vitamin C,
is that normal? I don't really feel myself today
either, I am jumpy and impatient. Could it be a
healing crisis kind of thing?
Also, if I want to keep on increasing vitamin C I have
to find a way to take more than 2 grams per water
bottle - should I put in 4 grams per water bottle even
though the taste is difficult? At what rate should I
continue increasing my intake?
I do feel that the vit. C is setting me off balance
somewhat also. Is there a problem with too much
acidity? Should I be eating more alkalizing foods for
balance?
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Probably the itch is from Detox

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 am

Dolev,

I wish I knew more about hypoglycemia. (We have the experience of an in-law whose blood sugar was uncontrollable above 400 mg/dl who started the Pauling therapy - high vitamin C, lysine and proline -- and within 10 days her blood sugar had dropped to 80, and then to 70 when we got the frantic call about hypoglycemia.) So I assume HypoG is caused by too much insulin in the blood stream w/r to the amount of glucose in the blood.

There is also the normal hypersensitivity people feel when they begin taking a new "drug". However, in case the itch is related to fillers in pills, make sure she take pure ascorbic acid powder (or Lypospheric-C), perhaps with some baking soda to taste.

Is there any indication of whether she is approaching her bowel tolerance (gas, diarrhea, etc?) Remind her that it is entirely natural to have high acidity in the stomach, and that vitamin C is a weak acid. The acid stomach is how we best digest our food in order to obtain all the various nutrients.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#5  Post by Dolev » Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 am

Owen,

Thank you for responding.

What happened to your relative after the initial drop from 400 to 70? Did it level off reasonably?

She's taking pure ascorbic acid powder. She began getting gas after about 8-10 grams and is approaching double that. What is your experience about the distance between gas and that diahrrea we are striving for?

I hope others on this forum will contribute here.

Dolev

Ken_RN

Need more info..

Post Number:#6  Post by Ken_RN » Tue May 02, 2006 9:51 am

I'm going out of town tonight and will be offline for a few days but is there anymore general info about her you could provide?

Info that might help:

1. Is she underweight or overweight?
2. Has she had a thyroid panel (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4) done lately? Can we rule out hyper or hypothyroidism?
3. What is her energy level like? Is she generally sluggish or energetic? Does it change cyclically? Are her reflexes brisk, sluggish or hyper?
4. At what times during the day does her blood sugar crash, especially in relation to how long after she eats?

As you can probably tell, I'm suspicious about this woman's thyroid. Hashimoto's hypothyroidism is often preceded by a period of mild hyperthyroidism. At all stages of the disease the afflicted often has problems maintaining their blood sugar. This auto-immune disease is becoming very common among women and 30 give or take a few years is when it often shows up. Even though it is an auto-immune disease, the rest of the immune system seems somewhat weakened by it predisposing the afflicted to simmering infections like candida. The itchy skin could be related to possible hypothyroidism as well. If she is also experiencing any hair loss, loss of libido, or fluid retention I'd be even more suspicious of her thyroid.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#7  Post by Dolev » Tue May 02, 2006 10:22 am

Ken,

She's very thin. I thought about thyroid, but the root of her problem, I believe, is the candida and ruined gut from many courses of antibiotics throughout her life due to recurring strep infections.

TSH is 1. No whole panel.
LDL 85.5
HDL 69.4 (I never saw such cholesterol figures)
Fasting glucose 67
TGs 31 !!

She eats every couple of hours. When she eats a complex carb meal - grains, vegetables, even with nuts and seeds, she has emotional reactions. When she eats proteins and fats she gets very drowsy. Sugar cycles seem to be about every 2 hours.

The itchy skin started with the vitamin C therapy. But burning tongue is historic for her, and got worse when she tried macrobiotic diet.

Abdominal swelling. I'm sending her to test for parasites.

Allergic to wheat, corn, milk and more. Husband and children also have allergies. Children ADD.

Five pregnancies, each one more difficult emotionally than the one before. Depression, etc.

My diagnosis: Frankly, I think this is a case of malnutrition, caused by the candida and resultant toxicity and inablility to
digest food. Undigested particles get into her system through a leaky gut caused by the candida and have messed up her immune system until it doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. (Is this a quack-like diagnosis if I ever heard one!!)

She's been taking Nystatin for a few months.

Thanks, Ken, for getting involved. I'm waiting to hear your ideas.

Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Reminds me

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 pm

This reminds me of a case in the Hoffer book Putting It All Together: The New Orthomolecular Nutrition. I don't have the book handy, but there was a food allergy (like you said) that created emotional responses. Simply by changing her food, (and of course the right orthomolecular nutrition), the problem cleared.

And that has to be the solution you are looking for - some diet change. Another idea, in case Ken is right, is to try the iodoral version of iodine recommended by Brownstein. http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Iodoral.htm ( I read recently in the townsend letter how 50 mg daily has successfully treated thyroid problems without hormone replacement.)

When I get home I'll review the case in Hoffer's book.

More info on iodine http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct2005/g ... al1005.htm
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

You May Want to Ask Your Library

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 am

Dolev,

What I take from rereading the Hoffer book is that the root cause of hypoglycemia is junk food. You might find the following (Hoffer's Index) interesting in helping you decide whether to obtain a copy of THE NEW ORTHOMOLECULAR NUTRITION (Putting it all Together)

hypoglycemia
and alcoholism, 20, 45
and antihistamines, 68
and carbohydrates, 89
and depression, 8
and junk food, 70
and neuroses, 43
and obesity, 24
and parasympathetic drugs, 68 and peptic ulcers, 50
and protein, 72
psychosomatic pain in, 48-50 physiology of, 46-47
and sugar consumption, 18 treatment of, 67-70
and weight loss, 48-49
(see also saccharine disease) hypoglycemic
curve, 23
diet, 74
hypokinesia, 45

Here are the first few paragraphs (of several pages) under the title
THE DIETARY TREATMENT FOR HYPOGLYCEMIA
in the OPTIMUM DIET section (Page 67)

Hypoglycemia treatment is primarily dietary. For allergy-free people who suffer from low blood sugar, the diet should exclude all junk. The uncompromising rule: all foods which contain added sugar, are highly refined and/or are vigorously processed should be considered so much packaged garbage.

The pattern of eating may be variable for some hypoglycemics. A three-meals-a-day pattern will be suitable for most, but others do require additional snacks between meals. Even though these people are free of allergies, an allergy could develop, and it should be watched for. To reduce the chance of triggering an allergic response, it is best not to rely too much on eating any one food. Vary the diet as much as possible. Leave a gap of several days for a repeat consumption of the same edible.

If you or a member of your family is allergic and hypoglycemic at the same timehypoglycemic because of the allergy, or whose hypoglycemia is aggravated by the allergyrigorously avoid those allergy foods. If the allergy is a fixed one, it will always produce the allergic response and should not be excited by eating what brings it on. Otherwise, after six months to a year, the foods you have omitted from your diet may be reintroduced in small quantities at infrequent intervals.

If you are hypoglycemic and allergic simultaneously, there may be some foods that cause an allergic response and should not be eaten. If that is the case, you may find it impossible to avoid them.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#10  Post by Dolev » Wed May 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Thanks, Owen. I have the book and I'll check out the references.

She doesn't touch junk food and hasn't for a long time. No wheat, very little corn or other things that cause her to react. Yet she really reacts to anything she eats. That's the problem: she's already doing everything "right".

After giving her a few weeks to just work on vitamin C bowel tolerance, we'll try directly dealing with her digestion, which seems to me the root of the problem. A very high-dose probiotic (450 billion per packet), digestive enzymes, glutamate, and anything else I think of. There's actually a product which I think is pretty amazing, called Green Vibrance, which has tons of good stuff in it and will reduce the number of pills and caps she'll need to take.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Direction from above?

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Coincidentally, I was just given a book on Human Growth Hormone by James Jameison, et. al..

Jamieson, James, and Dorman, Dr. LE HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE, THE METHUSALEH FACTOR: Reverse Aging Naturally

The authors list the accepted indications of a growth hormone deficiency, and both hypoglycemia and low thyroid function are listed (really an inability to make a (T3 -> T4?) conversion -from memory, the book is at home)

I found this information interesting given Ken's suspicion.

I have a strange feeling that maybe I was supposed to get this book at this time?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#12  Post by Dolev » Thu May 04, 2006 2:00 am

I don't know, Owen, there's a chicken and egg thing between hormones, only with hormones there's a chain of interacting chickens and eggs, and there are other factors also, especially nutritional. If the cells aren't getting what they need, or if there are interfering toxins, the whole thing gets messed up. There's another good medical term: "messed up". I didn't find it in Stedman's dictionary.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Can you do hormone testing?

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 04, 2006 6:49 am

You are probably right about the digestion, etc. And HGH seems to be the one hormone that is the hardest to replace (inexpensively at least) but I do wonder if you can test her hormone levels? The Brownstein books are replete with minor miracles that were achieved simply by raising various hormone levels to within various ranges he clearly identifies. Using bio-identical (natural) hormones of course.

Hey, you asked for "out of the box" ..

Here are two relevant quotes from the Jamieson, Dorman and Marriott book GROWTH HORMONE: Reversing Human Aging Naturally (The Methuselah Factor), 7th Edition, 1997, ISBN 1-884820-30-1

GH: REVERSING HUMAN AGING NATURALLY
Wasting Diseases
Growth Hormone is known to increase the uptake of amino acids by muscle cells, making it an excellent candidate for patients with wasting diseases like AIDS. People who experience high levels of physiologic stress such as surgery or severe burns often have difficulty in recovery from injury and develop symptoms of wasting. The use of growth hormone in these circumstances has been successful and continued study is underway. One of the underlying problems in recovering from muscle wasting is the inability to properly absorb nutrients; growth hormone not only assists in muscle formation, but in the absorption of nutrients in the digestive tract.

and

Digestive Tract Disorders
Studies by Doug Wilmore, M.D. and associates at Harvard's Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston demonstrate the effectiveness of hGH injections combined with the amino acid L-Glutamine in regenerating the digestive tracts of patients with short bowel syndrome. Before therapy, the digestive tracts of these patients were incapable of digesting food; hence, patients had to be fed intravenously. After therapy, the same patients were able to eat solid food and absorb nutrients effectively. This work holds great promise for the number of people with colitis and Crohn's disease whose diseases typically continue to worsen with standard medical protocols. It also suggests yet another way that growth hormonetherapy works to reverse the aging process. All of us experience a decline in nutrient absorption as we age due to the thinning of the lining of the digestive tract. In fact, the permeability of the digestive tract lining has been directly correlated with the onset of a variety of illnesses. When the digestive tract lining becomes very thin a patient may be told that she has Leaky Gut Syndrome<97>a condition that may lead to a variety of autoimmune diseases, rheumatism, allergies, and arthritis.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#14  Post by Dolev » Thu May 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Thank you, Owen.

I could send in a saliva test for hormones, but I can't order from a compounding pharmacy, and I also don't have experience in interpreting this test. There is someone here in Israel that does that, and I could refer her if I feel that this is worthwhile. Although I don't think the hormones are a root cause, I understand that some form of replacement therapy could be helpful. I do often recommend natural transdermal progesterone, which has been helpful in treatment of menopausal matters and other issues. In this case, however, I am going one step at a time, and maybe I'll send in a hair mineral analysis first.

The research you brought, using growth hormone and glutamate is interesting, especially what is said about the thinning of the digestive tract. The effects described may be due to the glutamate more than the HGH, I don't know. I do plan on recommending glutamate along with the digestive enzymes and probiotics. The probiotics digest fiber and make short-chain fatty acids, such as four-carbon butyric acid, which is a major energy source for the intestinal cells. This is beneficial in healing a leaky gut, besides the floral rebalancing. I must research other ways of increasing butyric acid, besides recommending butter with its modern impurities. I've never seen it as a supplement.

Ken, are you back yet?
Dolev

SEADOG

Post Number:#15  Post by SEADOG » Thu May 04, 2006 9:45 pm

Dolev

I understand that Indian clarified butter "ghee" (from cows milk) is a rich source of butyric acid and is extensively used in India in Ayurvedic preparations.
Maybe you can check that out.

Cheers

Return to “Archive”