Author Stephen Sheffrey's 'Personal C Experience'

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Author Stephen Sheffrey's 'Personal C Experience'

Post Number:#16  Post by majkinetor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:37 am

Does he mention magnesium in the book ?

One can get Mg deficiency from such a large doses. I noticed that on myself even tho I supplement around 600 mg daily as Oxide + Citrate.

The one mechanism is higher oxalate levels, which AFAIK prefer Mg binding over Ca. Its also mentioned in the paper "The multifaceted and widespread pathology of magnesium deficiency"

I currently have muscle jerks on different positions on the body (looks like random) since I upped my dosage a lot (from 10 -> 20g ) in order to fight Herx reaction from Lugols solution.

VanCanada

Post Number:#17  Post by VanCanada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 am

majkinetor wrote:Does he mention magnesium in the book ?
Only in passing in three places.

majkinetor wrote:The one mechanism is higher oxalate levels, which AFAIK prefer Mg binding over Ca.
Sheffrey has a most interesting discussion about oxalate stones on pages 80 to 83. The whole thing is excellent but here's a small part of it:
Stephen Sheffrey wrote:People who form stones regularly handle C differently. They convert most of the ingested C to oxalate in the gut, then absorb the oxalate. It's as if they were living on spinach and rhubarb. This of course leads to stones if conditions are right. If most of it converts to oxalate, do stone-formers have enough C left to keep its blood level up? No. Regular stone-formers have low C levels, either due to oxalate conversion or malabsorption. When a group of stone-formers were given 500 mg of C intravenously they failed to pass the expected amount in the urine. The body needed it, therefore refused to give it up.(Ref. 30)
-Reference 30: Chalmers A H, Cowley D M, Brown J M. A possible etiological role for ascorbate in calculi formation. Clin Chem 1986; 32:333-6

majkinetor wrote:One can get Mg deficiency from such a large doses.
Your case report is perhaps a valid data point if we can't otherwise explain your symptoms. Thank you. But please provide additional scientific references, if you can.

VanCanada

Pages 177-180 of Vitamin C: How Best to Use It

Post Number:#18  Post by VanCanada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 am

......Some readers may decide to start high-dosing on C after reading of its many benefits. Good---but remember the conditions in which rare side effects are more than just a nuisance. People with poor kidney function or who've had part of the upper intestine removed may have a problem with oxalate. Those on anticoagulants should have the clotting picture monitored if taking more than a gram of C a day. Anyone with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, G6PD deficiency or iron overload should read chapter 5 again. Do not begin a long-term program of high-dose C without first determining the body's iron status. If low G6PD is suspected, it is better to start by increasing C intake by a gram a day while watching for brown urine that signals destruction of red cells. Couples with the trait should beware of gene roulette at conception that can design a baby with much lower G6PD.

......Unless one is committed to becoming a slave to a dosing schedule it makes no sense to begin a high-dose regimen. It is said that about half of those who take prescription drugs do not take them as directed. They might fail to take C properly also. Haphazard dosing is worse than no dosing. Doses should be taken regularly, with no habitual skipping. And remember the hazard of hospital stay, where there's danger of being deprived of the high dose by uninformed or biased hospital staff.

......During her preparation for surgery, friend Alice mentioned that she takes 15 grams of C a day. She was asked why and who advised such a massive dose.

......"Started it myself. It keeps my lungs clear," she replied.

......"Prescribed by doctor Alice!" sniffed a physician who overheard the conversation.

......An attitude of that sort is hazardous to high-dosers' health. Illegal drug users get more respect.

......Currently there's not much encouragement to use extra C by most members of the healthcare professions. For too long they've been misled by deceptive clinical trials. The mindset can't be changed overnight. Members of the professions should look to the source of the problem: journal editors. Their refusal to publish the results of deceptive studies would go a long way toward allowing C a fair appraisal as a therapeutic substance. Editors as a group should have the courage to tell advertisers to take their business elsewhere if the content of the journals doesn't please them. What could advertisers do? Just what they do now---continue to advertise even as journals publish papers that demonstrate the superiority of a competing prescription product.

......Journal editors do appear to be interested in dispensing information that would further the wellbeing of people everywhere---but only if the information doesn't compete with a drug company's product. I've written more than a dozen letters to various editors, pointing to evidence that C is of value in treating certain conditions. All that comes of the effort is a form-letter reply to the effect that there's no room to include the information in the journal. The following is an example:

............................June 2, 2001

Editor, Lancet

Sir---In the May 26 issue David McNamee wrote of a new antivenom (note 1). The use of 6 to 12 vials at U.S. $775 per vial puts it out of reach of victims in countries that need it most. Papers in the medical literature point to ascorbic acid (or ascorbate) as a less expensive way to detoxify venoms. In 1937 Jungeblut, citing 18 references, wrote that ascorbic acid inactivated every toxin it had been tested against (2). In 1952 W. J. McCormick stated that he had "obtained rapid recovery in a case of scorpion sting by a single intravenous injection of 1,000 mg" (3). In 1971 F. R. Klenner wrote of countering highland mocassin venom with intravenous doses of the substance. He preferred it to antivenom (4). Black-widow spider bites were treated effectively also (5). In 1993 Dettman, Kalokerinos and Dettman (6) referred to a 1947 paper in a Columbian journal (7) (unavailable here) which detailed emergency treatment of 3 snakebite cases with 2 grams of ascorbic acid in vein. A "very favorable response" was seen immediately after the first injection. Follow-up injections, if necessary, were given every 3 hours.

......New drugs are a boon where there's a need but replacing an excellent inexpensive substance with an exotic, toxic and expensive substitute is greedy, callous and ridiculous.

(1) McNamee D. Tackling venomous snakebites worldwide. Lancet 2001;357:1680.
(2) Jungeblut C W. Further observations on vitamin C therapy in experimental poliomyelitis. J Experi Med 1937;66:459-77.
(3) McCormick W J. Ascorbic acid as a chemotherapeutic agent. Ach Pediat 1952;69:151-55.
(4) Klenner F R. Observations on the dose and administration of ascorbic acid when employed beyond the range of a vitamin in human pathology. J Appl Nutr 1971;23:61-88.
(5) Klenner F R. The black widow spider. Tristate Med J 1957;Dec:15-18.
(6) Vitamin C, p 422. Dettman G C, Kalokerinos A, Dettman I. (Frederick Todd, Melbourne; 1993.)
(7) Perdoma H. Snake venom and vitamin C. Revista de la faculatad de Medicina (Bogota). 1947;15:769-72.

Sincerely, etc.

......Although the new substance counters only bites from rattlers and related snakes, I hoped to get in a word about C. In reply, a letter stated that the journal had no room for the information.

......It's understandable; snakebite victims who need 6 to 12 vials of the antivenom at $775 per vial would pour from $4650 to $9,300 into the pharmaceutical revenue pipeline. Vitamin C would provide relief for from $5 to $20. As long as information about the cheaper method does n ot circulate a tremendous cash flow does circulate---from the manufacturer to the journal in ads, generous salaries to editors and substantial income to journal owners. No one should object to financial incentives when a needed service is provided. But to milk the sick by promoting expensive treatments while suppressing information about cheaper alternatives is akin to robbery.

......C has few defenders against the disreputable acts of those who gain from hammering on it. Even the editors of health magazines for the general public take care not to praise the versatility of C too much. They too have their eyes on ad revenue as well as access to research nuggets, those cutting-edge treatments that are regular items in news reports these days.

.......I checked for a listing of vitamin C, ascorbic acid or ascorbate in the indexes of more than a dozen virology textbooks shelved in a nearby medical library. Only one referred to the vitamin, with the comment that mention was made only because of puclic awareness of its promotion for treatment of the common cold, for which it was not shown to be beneficial. In the eyes of the authors of those books, the supreme oracles of all things viral, vitamin C as an antiviral substance does not exist. One would think they had no knowledge at all of the studies done at universities in Switzerland or the reports of Klenner, Cathcart, Stone, Murata and many others. No wonder the healthcare community is unaware of its value.

......Readers should question every negative statement about vitamin C because most members of the pharmaceutical-medical complex have a financial stake in discrediting it. They would have us believe that our welfare is their first concern but we have seen otherwise. They cannot be trusted. We are left with the impression that the C genie must be kept in the bottle at all costs---to those who are ill.

That's the end of the chapter (Ch. 10 "Personal C Experience") and the end of the book.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Merry Christmas everyone and keep supplementing your C.
-VanCanada :)

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#19  Post by majkinetor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 am

Thx for all those extracts

I wrote about Mg here
viewtopic.php?p=23799#p23799

Return to “Archive”