Had a scare today.

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Saw
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Had a scare today.

Post by Saw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:08 pm

davids1 wrote:but I am [currently] averaging in the neighborhood of something like 100 grams of ascorbic acid daily

davids1 wrote:For myself, ingesting that much ascorbic acid daily [via tablets], is very little inconvenience indeed!
I couldn't spend more than 5 minutes a day doing it [if that]. (I generally swallow 6 one gram tablets at a time.)

Wow! Your taking 100 tablets a day?
That's gotta be expensive and a lot of fillers to ingest.
I would be curious to see what your bowel tolerance would be
taking AA as a powder.
Even a Blind Squirrel makes his own vitamin C.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I had around 10-11 amalgams at one time, have 5 now and will have 2 more out in a month. Have 3 root canals, a couple quite old. my BT is about 30-36 gms. I have been mega-dosing C for around 3 yrs. I can see Davids point - maybe C can minimize the damage from the mercury, but I don't feel like it can eliminate it. I look forward to the day that I can try a chelation program like Cutlers, and get it all out of my system. But getting 3 root canal extractions and dentures is a HUGE undertaking I am not ready to consider unless I was feeling alot worse than I am now.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by davids1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Saw wrote:
davids1 wrote:but I am [currently] averaging in the neighborhood of something like 100 grams of ascorbic acid daily

davids1 wrote:For myself, ingesting that much ascorbic acid daily [via tablets], is very little inconvenience indeed!
I couldn't spend more than 5 minutes a day doing it [if that]. (I generally swallow 6 one gram tablets at a time.)

That's gotta be expensive and a lot of fillers to ingest.
I would be curious to see what your bowel tolerance would be
taking AA as a powder.
Yes, sometimes a little less than that, and sometimes a little more [currently].
That's gotta be expensive...
Yes, you are correct, i.e. the cost is not insignificant [at least not to me], e.g. usually in the neighborhood of $70 to $90 per month [I certainly try to buy large amounts during their periodic sales events]. But then I pay for no health insurance, and from what I understand, $90 is miniscule compared to what many [most?] spend on perscription and over-the-counter drugs every month [not to even mention doctor visits].
...and a lot of fillers to ingest.
Yes, I would prefer not to have to ingest the fillers [although I have never been conscious of any particular problem caused by my large filler ingestion], but the inconvenience of having to mix up a batch of ascorbic acid water every day [and keep it from dissipating] is worth it to me. When I began Bowel Tolerance dosing in 1994, I used to just put a spoonful of the crystals in my mouth and add some water [and found that quite convenient], but after a few years I was worried about it eroding my tooth enamel [although I never noticed any problem], and switched to the tablets. I assume the ascorbic acid helps chelate the fillers [if need be] out of my body. The primary filler in the brand I use [from Costco] is microcrystaline cellulose, so I do not feel too bad about that, i.e. vegetable cellulose. As an aside [JFYI], the brand I use [Kirkland Signature] also has 10% citrus bioflavonoids in it, of which 10% of that is Hesperidin and Rutin [but it is (really) only the ascorbic acid, i.e. "extra"/reducing/anti-oxidizing/alkalinizing electrons, I am after].
I would be curious to see what your bowel tolerance would be taking AA as a powder.
I also would be curious. I've thought about picking up a pound of the powder/crystals [from Trader Joe's], but just never quite got around to it. I may do so one of these days, and if I notice any difference, i.e. vs. the tablets, I will most certainly report so on this forum.
Last edited by davids1 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by jimmylesante » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Any benefit in doing an "oral enema" Swishing Vit C around mouth for 20mins then spitting out? Or would something like coconut/olive oil be better?

randian

Post by randian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I've added NAC and astaxanthin as suggested.

2x600mg NAC and
5mg astaxanthin

I hope neither is too high.

I've taken 5mg nebivolol (Bystolic) for the last 2 days. Slight improvements in blood glucose levels, but they could be within measurement variance. Perhaps it's too soon for the full effects of metoprolol to wear off. Heart rate down to ~80 resting and BP down from ~135/80 to ~122/72, according to the wrist monitor I bought at Walgreens. I'm also taking 10mg lisinopril, supposedly for my kidneys. The lower heart rate is nice, so we'll see how it goes for a while.

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by eDOC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 pm

randian wrote:I've added NAC and astaxanthin as suggested.

2x600mg NAC and
5mg astaxanthin

I hope neither is too high.

I've taken 5mg nebivolol (Bystolic) for the last 2 days. Slight improvements in blood glucose levels, but they could be within measurement variance. Perhaps it's too soon for the full effects of metoprolol to wear off. Heart rate down to ~80 resting and BP down from ~135/80 to ~122/72, according to the wrist monitor I bought at Walgreens. I'm also taking 10mg lisinopril, supposedly for my kidneys. The lower heart rate is nice, so we'll see how it goes for a while.

Low.

1. NAC 1000mg X2/3 day.
2. Astaxanthin 10mg/day.
3. Quit Lisinopril switch to Cozar.
Rookie, rusty, sub average doc but one that gives results!

randian

Post by randian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 pm

eDOC wrote:1. NAC 1000mg X2/3 day.
2. Astaxanthin 10mg/day.

6000mg a day of NAC?
Astaxanthin: done
What's a good low dose of Cozar? Standard 50mg?

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 pm

research!

randian

Post by randian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 pm

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by eDOC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 pm

randian wrote:
eDOC wrote:1. NAC 1000mg X2/3 day.
2. Astaxanthin 10mg/day.

6000mg a day of NAC?
Astaxanthin: done
What's a good low dose of Cozar? Standard 50mg?

Yes in your case 50mg would be the ideal starting dose than titrating with BP readings.

randian

Post by randian » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 am

eDOC wrote:Yes in your case 50mg would be the ideal starting dose than titrating with BP readings.

I assume we're primarily interested in kidney protection benefits from this medicine rather than BP reduction.

I wanted to confirm you meant 6000mg a day of NAC. I see such doses are often used in acetominophen poisoning and attempts to prevent contrast-induced nephropathy.

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by eDOC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:58 am

I assume we're primarily interested in kidney protection benefits from this medicine rather than BP reduction. Does protect kidney function/Renal Profile too besides controlling BP.

I wanted to confirm you meant 6000mg a day of NAC. I see such doses are often used in acetominophen poisoning and attempts to prevent contrast-induced nephropathy.

It comes to 1000-3000 mg in divided dose/day, & not 6000mg of NAC/day. I take 2.4 gms of Gluta.......so stop worrying.... Btw never mentioned what your HBA1 & Lipids are?.

randian

Post by randian » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 am

eDOC wrote:It comes to 1000-3000 mg in divided dose/day, & not 6000mg of NAC/day. I take 2.4 gms of Gluta.......so stop worrying.... Btw never mentioned what your HBA1 & Lipids are?.

I'm not worried. I know that NAC in these doses is perfectly safe. Need for precision is a common trait of engineers, which often comes across as worry, or is just plain annoying.

I'll be going for 2x600 @ breakfast/lunch and 600 @ dinner, for a total of 3000mg.

I never mentioned those because my doc has the tests and doesn't seem to want to give out info before my next appointment. I've never understood why some docs treat these things like state secrets.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am

research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”