Major Bleed from VitC plus Arginine

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Ken45140

Major Bleed from VitC plus Arginine

Post Number:#1  Post by Ken45140 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:40 pm

I want to share my experience with a major bleed I am just now recovering from and solicit comments.

Background: long history of CAD and heart issues, currently dealing with refractory angina. I have been taking mix of Rx (lisinopril, atenolol, amlodopine, Ranexa) and had added Fish oil, aspirin, high dose VitC and high dose arginine. I began EECP in early Oct, but suffered heavy bruising on one leg and suspended the EECP treatments, stopped the fish oil, reduced the aspirin, and eliminated VitE.

Never thinking that VitC and arginine have antiplatlet properties, I continued these. After the leg bruising resolved, I resumed the EECP treatments around the beginning of Nov. As the angina episodes were reduced, even eliminated (the procedure seems to really work), I resumed low weight/high rep weights along with low effort aerobic exercise. I noticed swelling in my left elbow area which turned into a large bruise involving much of my forearm, and up part of my triceps area. The high dose VitC (6-8g/day spaced) and similar level of arginine was giving me continued bleeding risk, and the addition of the weights (low level bench and curls among others) resulted in some capillary breakage in the joint area or nearby.

I have stopped all VitC/arginine and weight exercising. Searching revealed antiplatlet properties in both arginine and VitC (found one article authored by Dr Ofonorow in 1999), but I never suspected I was at bleeding risk with these supplements. I continue my EECP, have a good streak of angina-free days, and will be cautious of VitC and arginine in the future. The arm bruise appears to be slowly resolving.

I am interested in whether anyone has had similar experience or has comments in general.

Thanks,
Ken45140

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Major Bleed from VitC plus Arginine

Post Number:#2  Post by davids1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Ken,

Why are you convinced that ascorbate is the cause of your internal bleeding? Could it not be from any one [or all] of the drugs [including aspirin]? My study of the subject convinces me that ascorbate [with only extremely rare cases as exceptions] always improves ones overall health situation/condition, e.g. it acts as both an oxidant and an antioxidant as needed.

Just a question and comment,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:03 am

My only experience with increased bleeding is already posted here:

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/62930-which-supplements-are-blood-thinners/page__view__findpost__p__614079

High dose Arginine and Vitamin C aren't increasing bleeding in my case.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Johnwen » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 am

Sounds like he needs to be taking a good Vitamin K complex.

Questions???
How old are you?
Have you had any other heart problems prior to the angina??
Have you taken any blood thinners in the past 2 years??
Have you been to africa or asia lately??
Did your last blood work look ok to your Doc or did he say something about anemia??
Any pains in the stomach area??
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”