Protein S Deficiency

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Protein S Deficiency

Post Number:#1  Post by jpoww » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Ofonorow and Johnwen, I have posted several topics on this site about my husband and his CAD. We recently got him tested for MTHFR Mutation and he tested positive for one mutation A1298C.
We also got him tested for a series of genetic blood clotting mutations and diseases. He tested positive for Protien S deficiency. His level was 33 and the range was 70-?(I forgot the number)
The blood doctor claimed there has been some case study that show low levels of this protien are associated with CAD. She said the only thing they would recommend would be Coumadin and since he is on Effient already she isn't sure adding coumadin would help. So for now we are choosing to do nothing about this.
I wanted to know what ya'll think about this? Is there a natural way to increase Protein S?
quick history, my husband has had 3 heart attacks, last heart attack he has muscle damage. He had clotted once when plavix was stopped and that cause a heart attack , third time he had stopped his lipator and lowered his effient to 5 days a week instead of 7 and had a heart attack 18months after lowering those two drugs. He has been on linus pauling since the third heart attack, so a year and two months now.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Protein S Deficiency

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

She said the only thing they would recommend would be Coumadin and since he is on Effient already she isn't sure adding coumadin would help.

Thank God she didn't start him on warfarin (coumadin)!!!
Low protein S is a Vitamin K deficiency, Coumadin is a Vitamin K antagonist (It stops it's action)!
Find a good low dose K complex supplement.

Question: Did his stents reclog or were they fresh Blocks???

A low A1298C is actually kind of a good thing it means his homocystein levels are being held low. Which means his inflamation markers are being held low. Thank you effient!

If both the A1298C and C677T were low he could have a genetic problem but since they didn't mention it in the report it's probably not relavent.
A low 677CC/1298CC genotype would be indicitive of a problem brewing but again it's not mentioned.

Sounds to me like he maybe a little anemic. If you have a recent blood work see what his hemoglobin level is.
if it's low get a good multi vitamin with some low dose Iron in it.

Hope this helps :D
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by jpoww » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:37 am

Not sure what you mean with the stent question. The cardiologist had stopped his plavix for a week when his white blood count was low and within that week he developed a clot and had a heart attack, when he came out of the cath lab they said it was because they stopped his plavix and to never get off of it again. A month after that, we tried to gradually started to decrease his lipator and within 18months he was off lipator and taking 5 effients a week instead of 7 a week. toward the end of those 18months he has another clot in the same stents that clotted the previous time. So I think I would say that is a reclot right?
Now, if low protien S means he is at danger for producing clots, and vitamin K helps the blood thicken or clot, why would taking Vitamin K help him? wouldn't it help him make more clots?
what is a good dose of Iron to take?

Thank You
Josie

angiew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by angiew » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Josie,

I don't know how this fits in here...but have you looked into proteolytic enzymes for clot reduction, circulation and even eating away at plaque?

here's brief description of what they can do:

Reducing inflammation

Cleansing the blood of debris

Dissolving fibrin in the blood, reducing the risk of clots

"... break down fibrin in the body. Fibrin is a hard, sticky protein that has been associated with scar tissue, inflammation and pain, among other symptoms and conditions.

two of the most know enzymes are Nattokinase and Serrapeptase

Nattokinase thins the blood so it's probably a no go with plavix

Serrapeptase, however... is not supposed to thin the blood but eats dead tissue.

pulled this off the web:

The late Dr. Hans Alfred Nieper said, “Never accept substitutes when it comes to your health.” He presented to a press conference in Germany his work for treating people with blocked arteries using the enzyme Serrapeptase and reported that he was able to cancel the operations for double, triple and even quadruple bypasses. He described two former gymnasts who suffered so greatly from cardiovascular disease, they could hardly walk across the room. The result of a using a Serrapeptase regimen, said Dr. Nieper, was the ability to cancel bypass operations because their arteries were now clear.

If interested here's product and company to look into:

Nattokinase and Serrapeptase combo:

http://www.astenzymes.com/serracor-nk

Serrapeptase

http://www.astenzymes.com/peptizyme-sp

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Let me address the plavix/effient vs. warfarin issue.
I’m thinking giving you links will more fully explain their difference.
First remember as you read Plavix/effient prevent platelet aggregation.
You will see how this works when you read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet

Now warfarin reduces another component of the clotting factor that is fibrin.
By not having enough fibrin means the platelet’s sticking together have nothing to bind to that is explained in the following links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coagulatio ... on_cascade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

To over simplify things I like to use comparisons to something people have seen happen. In this case let’s look at concrete.
The three major components of concrete are Water, Cement, Sand.
Water Being the serum component of the blood.
Cement being the platelet’s.
Sand being the fibrin.
Once mixed together they will solidify even under water.
But if you remove or lessen anyone of the components the best you could hope for is a weak structure at best.
Without enough sand the cement water mix will clump and harden since the cement is sticking to itself and dissolving at the same time and when hardened it will crumble. Add Sand and now it has something to attach to and when hard it has the strength of these tiny rocks holding it together.
Remove the cement or lower it’s amount and you have sand and water and a little bit of glue and you get a compressible clump of beach sand!!
Now lets do things the Plavix/effient Way! First we take our cement and mix it with motor oil. Making sure it gets well oiled. Now we mix our concrete?
Yep! we now have a glob of slippery yuk! That’ll never harden and we do like our bodies do and just toss it out! The Plavix/effient alters the platelets and makes them a slippery substance that prevents them from sticking together.

This is how these drugs work one removes, lowers or alters one component and the other removes, lowers or alters the other. The results are the same No or weak thrombus formation.
Having a weak or frail fibrin can also lead to problems if the slippery substance of the platelets is removed. As the weak fibrin will be looked at as ineffective and will draw the platelets to them in hope of removal but most of the time they just start to clump and problems begin.
This is what the protein S indicates and why it’s necessary to get this some help!!
Bear in mind the actions of these blood components are a necessary component of life and is part of our defensive system that keep us from bleeding to death if we scratch ourselves. As such they are usually only called upon to react if there is a causative action. (Ie. Damage) Be it a leaking artery or a skinned knee Something has to trigger their response. This is where Pauling therapy comes in to help heal the damage before it becomes chronic!
Hematology is a hard 4 year course! So don’t try to get too deep into it, just try to get a grasp on the basic’s and you’ll have a better understanding then a lot of doc’s out there!

So his recalls to the hospital where restenosis of the stent’s, This is a common occurrence and the reason for the development of the DES (drug eluding stent) which buy more time. Once again think Pauling! I’ve seen it work over and over again. His famous words ring true here “Don’t Stop taking it NOT even for a single day!” It has to be something he does everyday without fail!!

Iron: Look for a good Daily Multi with about 18 to 20 Mg of iron which is usually enough if taken daily.

I tried to make this complex subject as simple as possible. Hope it helps in your understanding.
research!

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by jpoww » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Johnwen, I think I understand. So your saying that the Vitamin K indirectly works with the fibrin? No completely sure how vitamin K works in giving the platlets something to grab onto but is that basicly what your saying? So taking vitamin K will help him not clot instead of hurting him right?
Will taking Vitamin K actual increase his protein S levels?
If so, how would we know the correct doseage to take?
Could he take to much Vitamin K?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks johnwen. Excellent. I learned a great deal. Note: The "never stop for a single day" is in regards to taking Vitamin C by the way.

When vitamin K is either deficient or blocked by a drug (e.g. warafin/coumadin) one result is hardening of the arteries, calcifications.

I don't like medicine telling heart patients not to take vitamin K - because it interferes with their drugs !? It gets ridiculous, to the point of advising against leafy green vegetables, etc. Vitamin K is involved in the clotting process as Johnwen tried to illustrate (like vitamin C is involved with the production of collagen.) I have never heard that taking too much vitamin K actually increases clotting (above normal) just as taking a lot of vitamin C does not leave to an over abundance of collagen.

The definition of a vitamin... should be .. that which is missing in the diet kills. That is how all the vitamins have been found. People got sick and died without the vitamin in the diet. Now, our gut flora apparently make some vitamin K (which is why babies sometimes need vitamin K at birth) and why I think that intensive antibiotics might make ones arteries hard!

So back to simplifcation - take vitamin C and lysine, take a lot and don't stop. Focus on vitamin K2 (although I dought taking the other form(s) matter much) as K2 apparently has nothing to do with clotting, but a lot to do with keeping the arteries from hardening. Say 200 MICROgrams..
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by jpoww » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:53 pm

So op for Vitamin K2 and not so much a Vit. K Complex right? A deficiency in Vit. K could cause low Protien S and in turn increase the likelihood of clotting? I will get him on Vit. K asap..Thank you so much :)

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by jpoww » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 am

I looked back on some blood work from 2011 and notice he had a very high level of factor 8 Antigen. Any thoughts? does the level of protein s and factor 8 fluctuates?

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by Johnwen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 am

does the level of protein s and factor 8 fluctuates?

Normally they stay in range unless unless there is Liver Damage or major injury.

Has he had his liver checked ??
Has he been screened for DVT (deep vein thrombosis)?
Did he have any major OOOps(injury) around this time?
Does anyone in His family have Liver problems?
Has he been to any Asian countries??
Is or was he overweight, not a little extra bagage I mean OVERweight??

He should talk to his doc about getting retested now that things have stabilized for him, to see if these problems are still there. These could have been red flags signalling what has happened to him and hopefully there back to normal now!
If there still a little out of line I would switch him from plavix over to effient. but that's up to his doc!
research!

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by jpoww » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:41 pm

back in 2011 when they did testing on his blood he was going thru a neutropenia episode. For 3-4 months his white blood count was very very low. They did two bone marrow biopsies and they couldnt find any reason for this low white blood count. They thought it could have been his meds and took him off plavix and lipator and a week into it he had a heart attack. After that they switched him to Effient instead of plavix and that is what he is currently taking. He is back on lipator but we have reduced it to 40mg 3 days a week and 20mg for 4 days. It was during this time that his Factor VIII Antigen was very high. Eventually the white count went back into normal range.
His Cardiologist checks his liver periodically
I dont know if he has been screened for DVT (I will ask for this screening)
No one in his family has liver problems to my knowledge
He has never been to any Asian Countries but we have worked with people who are from Asia.
He is not overweight at all.
Recently we went to a hemotologist to get blood work done specifically to see if he has any gene mutations for blood clotting and the only thing that came back out of range was his Protien S which was very low. I don't think she checked for Factor 8 Antigen.

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by jpoww » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I have read about MK7 Vitamin K2, and most of the sources I see are from Nattokinase. We are currently on a candida diet for intestinal yeast, does anyone know if this nattokinase will be safe to use on this diet? if its not safe then what other forms of MK7 could we use?

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”