High Lp(a), hlcerative colitis, Hasimotos - PT causes bloat

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

High Lp(a), hlcerative colitis, Hasimotos - PT causes bloat

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:58 am

My long emails were apparently lost, so, I will explain here in a much shorter email.

Briefly, I have 3 autoimmune conditions: ulcerative colitis (under control for the time being), Hashimotos Thyroiditis and osteoarthritis and...an extremely high LP(a). I won't go into the countless things I have tried and practitioners I've seen (both medical and "alternative") over the past 20 years. The ulcerative colitis was very severe, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and they wanted to remove my colon (2010). The Hashimotos has been controlled with meds.

A few weeks ago I wanted to try Pauling's protocol. Every time I take the proline and lysine, (vitamin c is fine) I get horrible bloating, abdominal pain and constipation - it's as if one or both of them is not digesting. When I stop taking them, the problem ceases, when I try again, the problem starts again. I am not sure which one - or both - might be causing the problem. I tried to take the HCL with pepsin and some enzymes for digestion. They seemed to help (not so sure) but I really shouldn't take them because of the UC and the antiinflammatory (Balsalazide) I am taking. I am also losing my hair rapidly now and I have no idea why.

I must get this LP(a) level down. My LDL is slightly high, HDL good, total cholesterol a little high, but my LP(a), despite these other levels being normal, has been high for several years and no one paid any attention. I had a VAP test, which I sent to you in one of my prior emails.
By the way, I am a medical provider and a medical writer/journalist; albeit, unemployed at the moment.
Thanks,
R

Stop the proline - and try slowly working up the lysine to about 5 or 6 grams.

Proline's main action seems to be reducing Lp(a) but the first order of business in my opinion in your case is neutralizing Lp(a) - the Lp(a) binding inhibitor function described in the Pauling/Rath patents.

What is your Lp(a) number and how was it measured? VAP Lp(a) number would be great.

Have you read Brownstein's latest edition of IODINE - Why you need it and why you cannot live without it?

I would be interested in your experience with Iodine regarding these conditions
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: High Lp(a), hlcerative colitis, Hasimotos - PT causes bl

Post Number:#2  Post by exitium » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 pm

The fact there is ulcerative colitis would have me looking for intestinal pathogens. When the gut is out of whack it makes everything so much harder.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks. I also sent you another email too. I just noticed the part of your last email about the Iodine book. I will look into that. Right now though, I am more concerned with my GI symptoms; I don't think I am absorbing much because of my bloating, indigestion, constipation that started a few weeks ago. The lysine (or proline) was exacerbating it. I think this is why I am losing my hair.
I am also confused about my LP(a). I just got an email from my provider telling me that I do not need to be concerned about the LP(a) (really the one a year ago which was the VAP) because I have the "large Type A buoyant particles."
That is not what I understand from reading the VAP. I have attached it here. Can you tell me what these mean? (I know what some of means, of course, but I do not know what large A buoyant particles are.)
Thanks,
R
[Lab

i
VAP
Cholesterol

LDL Cholesterol H 141 < 130

HDLCholesterol 74 >=40

VLDL
Cholesterol 21 < 30

---~--------...-~~-~_I022=~----~------~----=-~-----~
Cholesterol,Total 237 < 200
H

Triglycerides 93 < 150

Non HDL Chol 162 H < 160

H
apoB1OO-calc 104 < 109

LDL-R 99 < 100
(Real)-C

Lp(a)
Cholesterol 25 (< 10)
H

IDLCholesterol 17 < 20

Remnant 30 < 30
Lipo.
(IDL+VLDL3)

Probable
Metabolic
No
No
Syndrome

HDL-2 24 > 15
(Most
i022
Protective)
I

HDL-3 50 > 25
(Less
Protective)
!

VLDL-3 13 < 10
(Small
H
mg/dL
<10
Remnant)

LDL1 33.7
Pattern
33_7
mg/dL

Vitamin
D,
25-Hydroxy

Source:
BLOOD-Patient
Collected:
07/30/2012
1:38
PM

VitaminD,25- 49.1
Ing/mL
30.0Hydroxy
100_0

Vitamin
D
deficiency

10M

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Johnwen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 am

Without knowing his medical history it appears to be a liver problem cooking here.

The stomach problems, the high HDL, the low IDL, the large Type A buoyant particles, The slightly elevated VLDL all kind of point to “ Hepatic lipase deficiency. “ Which is a somewhat rare condition but seeing low triglycerides pretty much confirms it.

The good news is there is evidence of a delay in atherosclerosis with this condition.

The slight elevation in LP(a) would also be characteristic of a BLEED somewhere in the system. Which I suspect is in the digestive system.

I would suggest he research, “ Hepatic lipase deficiency “ and have a talk with his doc about this possibility and he would probably refer him to a hepatologist for an evaluation on what to do that would help.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

rachel100639

Post Number:#5  Post by rachel100639 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 am

Dr. Wen,
I am a "she." I do not have any internal bleeding. I have been checked for that just recently. Lab for all iron, hgb, hct, etc., are WNL. Fecal stool neg for blood.
I started taking another enzyme preparation and sweetish bitters. I am starting to feel better - like my food now is digesting. I have also cut out all gluten. No more nausea or gas/bloating/pain.
But I will look up hepatic lipase deficiency.
Thanks,
Rachel

rachel100639

Post Number:#6  Post by rachel100639 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:20 am

Dr. Wen,
Plus, that VAP was done 8/2012. If I was bleeding all this time, I would be in trouble. All CBC's have been normal since then. I am getting another VAP this week.
Rachel

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:42 am

I forgot something important.

I had started taking Zoloft about 2 years ago for debilitating anxiety. I wanted to get off of it so I stopped it about a month ago. I had forgotten that it had really helped my gut. Yes, sounds odd, but it's true. There are more serotonin receptors in the gut than in any part of the body. A week ago, because of these horrible gut issues, and some anxiety I went back on it. Is it the Zoloft that is helping? Is it because I am not taking the proline? Is it because I stopped taking those other supplements? Is it stress? Is it because I cut my estrodial patch in half (my hair started falling out 5 months ago when I started this patch) Is it because I changed to another fish oil brand? I don't know. ):
Rachel

then

I guess I spoke too soon. I am still having the same symptoms.
Rachel
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by Johnwen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 am

Rachel;
See if your doc would order a Lipase (LPS) and Amylase (AMY) and LP(a) test for you to see where your at now.
This would get you a better idea whats going on here, now!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”