Vitamin K? (And Vitamin A?)

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

skyorbit
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Vitamin K? (And Vitamin A?)

Post Number:#46  Post by skyorbit » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm

I meant 100,000 IU.

"Added - and as far as Dr. Cannell's reasoning, the arguments are rather weak (no experiments, merely conjecture. For example, yes, increase vitamin A (without vitamin E and K2) would probably lead to a higher incidence of fractures. These vitamins work together, and vitamin A's role is to help remove old bone. (Just removing old bone without creating new bone would weaken bones). His arguments about infections are questionable. Certainly vitamin D plays a large role, but we have the 3rd world evidence that these very large vitamin A injections prevent infections in the children, who would otherwise perish."

So you said Increase in Vitamin A w/o E and K2 would cause problems. I'm just curious how much E a person should need then.

I didn't know E had anything to do with bone support.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#47  Post by pamojja » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 am

skyorbit wrote:I'm just curious how much E a person should need then.

I didn't know E had anything to do with bone support.

I believe intake levels have to be evaluated individually again with most available lab blood and serum tests - because of the wide variances in bio-chemical individuality.

An example (avg. values of last 6 years): my serum cobalamin and the more sensitive Holo-TC both indicated that my serum vitamin B 12 has been about 2 times it's median healthy level (with about 1400 mcg/d); serum and RBC folate about 1 times it's mean (w.~ 1800 mcg/d), but whole blood pyridoxal 5 times B6s mean level (w.~ 190 mg/d). Balancing this better by gradually increasing folates only improved, for example, my Homocystein.

For the fat-solubles (values of the time when all these test were taken): Serum 25(OH)D3 has been in the upper third of normal serum range (9.000 IU/d); Serum Retinol and Retinol binding protein in the middle (16.000 IU plus 6.000 IU Retinol Equivalents from caroteens); while serum vitamin K1 came back almost 10 times the mean levels! (with 3mg/d K1)

Usually vitamin K1 (and K2-mq4) are considered to have very short half-lives in the body and therefore should be dosed more frequently, and alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E; took about 800mg, tocopherols and tocotrienols together) could be consider an vitamin K antagonist (which certainly would have an effect on Ks bones effects).

However that both seem not to be the case with my odd me.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#48  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 am

The beauty of the Pauling "orthomolecular" approach is that you can take orthomolecular substances in large doses without worrying about toxicity. The general rule is you work up to a high dose until you experience some nuisance difficulty (say diarrhea) and then back off. (Contrast this with the titration of drugs, which is usually start small and work up until something bad happens.)

I must have missed the reference to vitamin E - a fat soluble anti-oxidant (vitamin C is water soluble) which protects the lipid membranes in cells (according to Prof. Jaffee in his youtube lectures). Vitamin E is important for heart patients, as Pauling relates in HTLLAFB, and as author Steve Sinatra reports in one of his CoQ10 books citing a WHO study that showed the most critical factor in heart attacks is low levels of serum vitamin E!

The former owner and CEO of A. C. Grace, who bought the company because he credited Unique-E with saving his life after a heart attack, recommended 2000 iu of Unique-E in the morning (5 400 iu pills) and this recommendation has had "miraculous" effects in heart patients also on the Pauling therapy. In fact, on one day when I was answering the phone, I got multiple calls from physicians asking "IF PAULING WAS CORRECT, WHY DO THE EKG'S OF PATIENTS ON UNIQUE-E RETURN TO NORMAL?" After this same question/report from two doctors in the same day, I began suggesting Unique-E, and then, as in the case of Carol Smith - EKGs returned to normal.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”