Vitamin C antagonism with Sugar? Is it real?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin C antagonism with Sugar? Is it real?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 15, 2014 5:32 am

Also Owen, I was wondering if you can shed some lite on the confusion about vitamin c,and sugar. There is some debate as to being consumed at the same time because both use the same pathway in the body. This doesn't make sense to me because fruit contain both vit,c and sugar. Can you clear this up for me?

​I agree with you. I originally accepted the idea by Ely and in many books of a GLUT receptor - Insulin mediated glucose pathway - being dominant. In a nutshell, I no longer believe the glucose pathway is the primary way vitamin C enters cells. I do believe that the partially oxidized DHA form (vitamin C that becomes oxidized in the blood) can enter cells through the GLUT, and for most humans with low vitamin C intake this could be an important secondary pathway to recover and regenerate ascorbate.​ But I believe the SVCT (may have initials wrong - sodium transport) is the way reduced ascorbic acid enters cells. I agree with you that it is the only explanation that makes sense given ascorbate's role in reducing glutathione, etc. We discuss this at length at the forum. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10660

Do I need to take Cardio C away from any sugar intake, which would be very hard as sugar is in almost everything.

​In my opinion heart and cancer patients should reduce carbs (and thus sugars). Biochemist Sherry Lewin wrote that carbs in the diet taken with vitamin C will work to break down vitamin C in the gut, making it less bioavailable but that proteins (amino acids) chelate with ascorbate, making it more bioavailable. We didn't know this when we designed Cardio-C - but lysine chelating with C may explain the success. In any event, I would try to reduce sugars, and take Cardio-C 20 minutes before or 2 hours after.​a meal.

Also I know that with Lypo C they to put it in a little orange juice. They do?

Also I know that the Lypo C, is more bio-available.

​How do you know? That is an assumption we all made, but another interesting forum discussion debated this idea
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11196
and revealed that while large doses of liposomal vitamin C can raise blood levels over the maximum claimed by the NIH, it is nothing like IV/C, and I'm not sure blood levels can explain its dramatic clinical effects against infection. (Possibly immediate absorption into cells

Can you tell me how much of the Cardio C, is actually available.Thanks You.
Charles

As I mentioned, we believe that the amino acids make the ascorbic acid in Cardio-C more available, and we know that with proper stomach pH (low - acidic) ascorbic acid is absorbed directly through the stomach walls making it rapidly enter the blood stream (while mineral ascorbate travel into the gut where there is more time to break down)​

Finally, except maybe in the case of people who have extremely low tolerances for vitamin C (my dad's was 200 milligrams) Lypo-C is probably not a cost effective answer for chronic scurvy. The 10-1 estimate is based on Lypo-C effect on infections, allergies and perhaps cancer. But heart disease (chronic scurvy) is a collagen deficiency. One molecule of vitamin C is used up in the manufacture of a molecule of collagen. So, if your body needs 5 or 10 grams to overcome its collagen product deficit due to low vitamin C, I currently do not believe there is an amplification factor of liposomal for heart patients (unless more makes it into the blood stream). You would probably require 5 or 10 packets of liposomal daily, so the power, such as Cardio-C is much more economical and "proven" to work.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”