Worried about lighter stool color on Pauling Therapy

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Worried about lighter stool color on Pauling Therapy

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Hello Owen,

I recently began autoship of Cardio C (was using Cardio Ade a year or so ago but stopped). I have no problems with Cardio C and I think it's a superior product. However, I'm having n issue with titrating vitamin C up to bowel tolerance and wanted to get your thoughts.

In the past whenever I've tried to titrate up in between doses of a Pauling therapy product I have done so with pure ascorbic acid powder/crystals from a variety of name brands (I haven't tried Quali C yet). For example if I put 3000-4000 mg of Vitamin C either buffered with sodium bicarbonate or not (I've tried both ways) I quickly have a side effect of lighter stool color. When I stop it reverses in a day or so. Is this something that you've heard before?

I have thought about trying a lypo C product, ascorbyl palmitate or some other form of vit C but have yet to do so. Right off the top of my head it would seem like the extra vit C is working against my gall bladder or liver.

My situation is I'm 59, male and hypertensive. EKG's and ultrasounds have revealed no heart attack. I'm on 2 BP medications since July 9 when I was hospitalized for 30 hours. Those meds are Amlodipine 5mg BID and Losartan Potassium 25mg once a day. I have gone from readings of 220/105 to now 130-160/65-80. My weight has dropped from 237 to 206 during that time. I'm walking daily and have decreased my carb intake by 80% to probably between 50-100 grams a day.

I'm taking some of the other supplements you listed in the PDF split into am and pm doses including 800 IU of Unique E all at once first meal (maybe that is not enough at my weight), CQ10 Ubiquinol 2x200mg, 2 tbsp of hempseed oil, a VRP product called Circutrol BP, 200 mg of Pycnogenol, LEF Super K x1 and Mega Green Tea Extract x1, 500 IU's of vitamin D, 2x300mg of alpha lipoic acid, 1000mg of taurine when I take the Cardio C, LEF 2 a day multi vitamin, 3 days a weeks 10000 IU's of vit A. All of my fats are either grassfeed butter, olive oil or the doses of hempseed oil.

I have wondered about whether oral chelation or serrapeptase would help my condition. I'm in the first few pages of Dr Levy's Death by Calcium and hope to pick up clues there. The only other product that seems to be really good for blood pressure is grape seed extract ex: Healthy Origins Mega Natural BP 300mg at 2 per day.

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on my situation or approach. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Chris

Not sure why you are worried about stool color, but reduced bile is an interesting thought, and since bile is supposed to be reabsorbed in the colon (right?) you may be healthier. If I have this wrong - johnwen will correct me :D

As far as your more serious problem - hypertension - I like the LEF Super-K vitamin K very much. (How long have you been on it?) Magnesium also substantially lowers blood pressure, as will a good vitamin B6. (I don't see a Super-B Complex) in your list?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Worried about lighter stool color on Pauling Therapy

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 am

Hello Owen,

Sorry I did not mention that I'm taking 2 super B Complex 100 capsules a day, about 350mg of magnesium in a powdered product called "Calm" from Natural Vitality, a sublingual melatonin 2.5mg (Source Naturals) and a 5mg melatonin time release (Natrol). Also the additional amino acid I mentioned is not taurine but L-tyrosine.

Thank you and talk to you later.

Best regards,

Chris

Your regimen sounds near perfect. (Taurine is supposed to assist the body assimilate fat soluble vitamins). How long have you been on it (the other supplements in the protocol?)

Quick check of my memory - looks like less bile in the stool is a good thing..
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterohepatic_circulation

95% of the bile acids which are delivered to the duodenum will be recycled by the enterohepatic circulation.

Due to the pH of the small intestine, most of the bile acids are ionized and mostly occur as their sodium salts which are then called “primary conjugated bile salts.” In the lower small intestine and colon, bacteria dehydroxylate some of the primary bile salts to form secondary conjugated bile salts (which are still water soluble). Along the proximal and distal ileum, these conjugated primary bile salts are reabsorbed actively into hepatic portal circulation. Bacteria deconjugate some of the primary and secondary conjugated bile salts back to lipid soluble bile acids, which are passively absorbed into hepatic portal circulation. Finally, the conjugated bile acids which remained un-ionized conjugated bile acids are passively absorbed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Worried about lighter stool color on Pauling Therapy

Post Number:#3  Post by Johnwen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Let’s stop a minute!
Yes! Acholic (pale lacking bile) stools are caused by low bile but if they present without Jaundice or homeostasis they are usually caused by a CBD strictures ( common bile duct scarring) which could be caused by Trauma sequale, Papillary stenois, Pancratitis or cholangitis. However they have one thing in common and that is they don’t happen one day and disappear when they stop a supplement.
So let’s take a different look at this. The dark color of a stool is caused by a variety of substances Bile being one, Hemoglobin and iron released with ferritin, etc.
So he starts V-C then all is well for a short period of time then his stools become Acholic. This to me sounds like he is slightly anemic, IDA(iron deficiency anemia) most likely!
We know V-C mobilizes iron which in this condition would be low to begin with. His body is now utilizing the small stores available due to the higher levels of V-C and nothing is left to waste! (pun intended)
I would first try taking an iron supplement and cyanocobalamin (B12) about 500 Mcg. For a couple of weeks then up the V-C and see if there is a difference.
If not then he going to have to get to his doc and get some blood work done to see if it’s a bigger problem brewing.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”