Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) and type 2 diabetic

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) and type 2 diabetic

Post by tjohnson_nb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't think there is a 'best' form but I personally love the flush from niacin :)
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

blade

Post by blade » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Johnwen wrote:Dolev etc.

Something that Big Pharma Hides and Doc's don't get taught.

INSULIN

Controls Cholesterol!!!

Low Insulin = low cholesterol

Cells eat 2 things Fat and sugar! If they got enough sugar they reject it along with insulin back to the liver it goes! Liver says, Oh they must have enough sugar lets give them the other course of their meal FAT! (cholesterol=Fat wrapped in a package because fat don't do so good in watery substances)
I have a flow chart if you wish I can post it.

I was runnning around the site and I came upon this.

I dont understand this because of my dad
he has high insulin and total cholesterol 114 (mg/dL)
HDL 26 (mg/dL)
LDL 74 (mg/dL
triglycerides 69 (20-150)mg/dL)
vitD 57ng/ml (30-100)
HS-CRP .2 mg/L
A1C---7 4-6
fasting glucose 144

total T 293ng/dl (240-950)
E2: 44(18-40)

he is seeing a MD to get his T/E ratio better, his E2 down, but his blood sugar is out of control yet he has good cholesterol?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:41 am

This was johnwen's insight, so I leave the response to him.

There are two hormones for sugar control - insulin everyone has heard of - and glucagon.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Serdna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Serdna » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:33 am

sean wrote:hi everyone,

Will 1000mg of daily Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) cause a raise in blood sugar and causes type 2 diabetic?

It certainly raises blood sugar. As stated by Kindke:
REMEMBER the secret to niacin is to take it away from food and to fast for 5-6 hours after because it makes your serum FFA spike which in turns make you severely glucose intolerant and insulin resistant.

Well, I measured my blood glucose level (I like it below 140mg/dl at 1 hour and below 120mg/dl at 2 hours) when taking 100mg of niacin with a medium-high carbohydrate meal (watermelon, ham, seafood cocktail with potato, chocolate):
  • 94mg/dl just before eating.
  • 106mg/dl at 1 hour.
  • 133mg/dl at 2 hours.
Even taking it at breakfast (low-carb) keeps having an effect at lunch (paella, dark chocolate):
  • 114mg/dl just after eating.
  • 105mg/dl at 1 hour.
  • 147mg/dl at 2 hours.
  • 119mg/dl at 3 hours.
  • 114mg/dl at 4 hours.
So I only take niacin when there is going to be an eight hour span between them or lunch is going to be low-carb.

I add for completeness my blood glucose level after a frugal lunch (white coffee, potato omelet, some cheese and some hazelnuts) today 1/20/2015 following a low-carb breakfast with 100mg niacin 7 hours earlier:
  • 97mg/dl just after eating.
  • 95mg/dl at 1 hour.
  • 88mg/dl at 2 hours.

My working hypothesis is that short-term benefits of niacin are negated by increasing blood glucose levels if not dodged.

Dolev wrote:How does one raise cholesterol level? I just received the blood tests of a problematic young man with a total cholesterol of 103.

Increasing saturated fat? It drives both LDL and HDL up. Vitamin D seems to drive HDL up in the long term.

Since I gorge on saturated fat (hard cheeses and butter mainly) and keep my 25-OH-vitamin-D higher than 50ng/ml year round I don't know which one is to blame of my numbers (last April):
  • TC 369mg/dl,
  • HDL 105mg/dl,
  • TG 81mg/dl.
By the way I take 3g/day of vitamin C to keep my acne in check. I am not going to up it any time soon since I like my numbers as they are.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:11 am

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by exitium » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:45 am

johnyascorbate wrote:What is the best form of Niacin one should be taking for good overall health?

Straight up niacin that causes the flush has the most benefits. Ive been taking 3g a day for close to a year now.

blade

Post by blade » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 am

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:46 am

Blade;

The Leydig cells use What to make androgens including testosterone??

If the body is low on this substance the Leydig cells can stimulate production at a low level of what??
To maintain their production at a reduced level!
research!

blade

Post by blade » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Johnwen wrote:Blade;

The Leydig cells use What to make androgens including testosterone??

If the body is low on this substance the Leydig cells can stimulate production at a low level of what??
To maintain their production at a reduced level!

so you say it's low cholesterol as to why he has high a1c, low testosterone?
he has had this level of cholesterol his whole life and I said to you previously he exhibits none of the side effects you mentioned.

Hey, I'm all for you being right, but what is the solution you are saying to do?
raise his cholestrol?(how?)
give him insulin(isnt that treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause?

Why dont you think his high a1c is caused by his low testostrone?
He's in his late 60s, Testostrone starts falling after you turn 30 or so,.

I mean based on the studies I pointed out that high a1c is fixed by TRT?
or like this one
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18772488
Androgen therapy of hypogonadal men improves insulin sensitivity, fasting glucose, and HbA1c level

so what do you think he should do?

my solution, based on the studies I've shown you is to raise his low testosterone. but also keeping his estradiol in range..

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:30 pm

research!

blade

Post by blade » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:12 am

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by exitium » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 am

blade wrote:Saying step one is shoot him with some test. cyp, but to lower his high e2, see if things resolve then do HRT

Since E levels are used as one of the feedback mechanisms to test production lowering E likely will have a positive effect on test levels but I think your going about this all wrong. You seem to be hell bent on finding a smoking gun BUT I would wager the problem is more broad in nature.

high E and low T can be caused and affected by many things but what they all have in common is nutrition or lack thereof. Whether by exposure to toxins, parasites, virus's, poor food sources or what have you, deprive the body of the basic underlying building blocks for optimal organism function and things begin to break down.

I commented on another thread you posted in about this and my recommendation would be to go after the pauling therapy but dont stop there, identify and add in all the other nutrients as well. Many of the B vits are critical for proper sexual hormone production along with zinc and magnesium. There is plenty of science also linking thyroid function to sex hormone levels. Give your fathers body the nutrients needed to support thryoid function like lugols iodine and selenium.

Potassium is also hugely missing from most peoples diet and the list goes on. Proper supplements in the proper form are key. b12 should be taken transdermally or sublingually and should ideally be methylcobalamin (source naturals is only brand I have found to work so far). Use methyl folate and not folic acid.

blade

Post by blade » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 pm

research!

blade