My heart is blown wide open

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

MillieNeon
Contributor
Contributor

My heart is blown wide open

Post Number:#1  Post by MillieNeon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Ever since my heart attack this past October, my heart has been very sensitive emotionally. Have always been a somewhat big-hearted and open-hearted person, but now got that in Spades.

Videos of animal rescues leave me misty. And the horrors of the world, torture, killing unarmed kids, the massacre in Pakistan, etc have me in tears and heartbreak.

A friend who works in health care said a lot of people get anxious after heart attacks. I don't feel that. Just feel like my heart has been blown wide open, and my heart sensors are incredible tuned in and reactive to this world.

Did your heart issues affect any of you emotionally?

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: My heart is blown wide open

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Two of the most common psychological problems related to a Coronary event are PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and or Depression.
Your friend mentioned anxiety which has been correlated to PTSD.
Which it don’t sound like by your description of your symptoms. To me it appears what your experiencing is a mild form of depression. The problem here is if it takes a hold and does not go away it would probably progress to a more advanced form of depression.

Since you are aware of it and seeking to see if other’s experience it would be an indicator (search of acceptance / justification ) that it is an active form and should be addressed by a psychology professional.

To answer you question! Yes! Almost, if not all people who have had a coronary event will suffer some form of psychological side effects since what they have experienced is a life altering and life treating event and shocks not only the physical being but the psychological being as while.

If you feel your symptoms are becoming more frequent or more deeply seated it’s then time to seek help! Better sooner then later!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Reminds me of the British doctor who accidentally discovered that vitamin B12 shots seemed to universally cure his patient's of depression. Here is a report on some supporting science.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/253193.php

The results from the study showed:

The subjects with the highest folate intake had a 50% lower risk for melancholic depressive symptoms, compared to those with the lowest intake.
The people who had the highest vitamin B12 levels had a 3 times lower risk for melancholic depressive symptoms than those with the lowest levels.

Note that not everyone can absorb vitamin B12. Stomach acid and intrinsic factor are required for Vitamin B12 to be absorbed in the GI tract, which is why they refer to "levels" rather than "intake."
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#4  Post by Dolev » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:35 am

Actually Owen, from what I've learned, even without proper stomach acid and intrinsic factor, a percent or 3 of a 1000 mcg dose of B12 will be directly absorbed. Even if it's only 10 mcg, that can have an influence.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Good to know. Very large dosages heh? My late aunt had pernicious anemia, and we were able to measure the efficacy of the b12patch(.com) which raised her b12 blood levels very high without shots.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by purposefirst » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Did your heart issues affect any of you emotionally?

Hello Millie,
We all go through set-backs and painful events in life. In my case, I'm 72, so have had time to experience a bunch. I've been through several serious diseases, several severe injuries, been wiped out financially twice, been on the verge of suicide, etc... so I can relate to negative aspects of life.

From your comment it is difficult to tell whether you are being completely metaphorical, or if you believe the physical heart has something to do with emotions regarding sympathy for others. In my opinion it does not. The heart is a pump. It does not feel or cause emotions.

During some of the most difficult periods of my life I have been depressed and have reacted to the suffering of others with great sensitively and often tears, something like you described. But I had no heart problem at those times. It seems that perhaps you have taken your heart attack as a shock and a great set back leading to depression (as Johnwen suggested.) This has caused you great sensitivity toward any suffering you see around you, but those emotions have nothing to do with your heart -- it's how you have reacted psychologically and emotionally to your heart attack.

MillieNeon
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#7  Post by MillieNeon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Purposefirst. Actually, I do think emotions are very much linked to the body. Have you read Candace Pert's Molecules of Emotion?

At its best, Molecules of Emotion is a lucid explanation of new research on the way peptides work to connect all aspects of body and mind in a network of shared information. To cite only a single example, Pert explains: "For decades, most people thought of the brain and its extension the central nervous system as an electrical communication system . . . resembling a telephone system with trillions of miles of intricately crisscrossing wires." But new research techniques for studying peptides and receptors show that only 2 percent of neuronal communications are electrical, across a synapse. In fact, she writes, "the brain is a bag of hormones." And those hormones affect not only the brain, but every aspect of body and mind; many memories are stored throughout the body, as changes in the structure of receptors at the cellular level. "The body," Pert concludes, "is the unconscious mind!"

The central theme of Pert's book is that the peptides that flood our bodies are, in fact, the molecules of emotion. Emotions, largely ignored within the traditional confines of science and medicine, are actually the key to understanding psychoimmunology's emerging picture of how body and mind affect each other. For example, it's through the emotion-modulating peptides that an embarrassing thought can cause blood vessels to dilate and turn a face beet red. In the same way, the molecules of emotion can mobilize immune cells to destroy an incipient tumor. Techniques like meditation or visualization may also act as forces to set those molecules in action.

(Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/review-of-molecules-of-emotion-157256854/#kTLsd1v6gS7FXCyg.99)

For example, when we get embarrassed, we feel a flushing sensation and our skin blushes. This is due to a quickening of the heart and the release of various neurochemicals.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by exitium » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 pm

ofonorow wrote:Reminds me of the British doctor who accidentally discovered that vitamin B12 shots seemed to universally cure his patient's of depression. Here is a report on some supporting science.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/253193.php

Personally I found methylcobalamin (source naturals) 10mg sublingually each day along with solgar methylfolate and solgar niacin has had a very positive effect on my mood and mental clarity as well as well as muscular function.

A few other folks I have helped guide on their supplemental journey have also noticed dramatic improvements in mood as well.

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by purposefirst » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi again, Millie. I appreciate your response. Since I have a long-standing interest in psychology and human nature in general, I not only read the review you linked to but also went to Amazon are read several reviews on her book (5 stars and 1 stars) and then went to YouTube and listened to two of Candace Pert's talks. It appears that she did some ground-breaking research on peptides and receptors on the cells in regard to the body's way of communicating between various body parts including the brain. Then it appears that she went beyond the science into speculation of what it all meant in spiritual terms.
MillieNeon wrote:At its best, Molecules of Emotion is a lucid explanation of new research on the way peptides work to connect all aspects of body and mind in a network of shared information.

MillieNeon wrote:And those hormones affect not only the brain, but every aspect of body and mind; many memories are stored throughout the body, as changes in the structure of receptors at the cellular level. "The body," Pert concludes, "is the unconscious mind!"

For centuries thinking people have understood that the body/brain/mind are interconnected (although the mechanisms were not understood) and that is certainly true.

But there is no evidence (to my knowledge) that "information is shared" or "memories are stored ... throughout the body." Actually the evidence is contrary. When people suffer strokes or brain damage they may loose certain memories and skills. When various other parts of the body are damaged or even removed, memories are not affected.

It has long been understood that positive thinking can affect the course of some diseases, but again it was not known how. It appears that Pert's work (along with her colleagues) has discovered something of the how of that, which could be very helpful.

MillieNeon wrote:For example, it's through the emotion-modulating peptides that an embarrassing thought can cause blood vessels to dilate and turn a face beet red.

But for embarrassment to occur requires an outside event to which the person reacts according to her/his thoughts/beliefs. Two different people subjected to the same event may react in very different ways -- one may become embarrassed, the other not at all. The brain/mind still leads in that regard.

In her later years it appears that Pert tried to connect her scientific work to spiritual beliefs along the line of Depak Chopra. Speculation.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”