Quality of vitamin C and BT

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quality of vitamin C and BT

Post Number:#1  Post by gmdodaro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I've been surprised by the amount of vitamin C I've been able to consume without reaching bowel tolerance. The consensus is that absorption increases with infection or inflammation in the body. Over the past weekend I was out of town and used a brand that was available, that is, other than the Vitamin C Foundation, not-from-China product. I didn't take as much of the off-brand as I usually do of the Vitamin C Foundation product because I was too busy. However I noticed that I was running to the bathroom, something that never happens even though I take upwards of 30 grams per day of the not-made-in-China product.
This seems to me to indicate that bowel tolerance is relative to quality of vitamin C.
I'm getting regular blood work to monitor my CRP, serum ferritin, fibrinogen, Homocysteine, Lp(a), and a few other things, trying to find out if my high tolerance for vitamin C indicates infection or inflammation. Because I've been taking at least 15 grams per day for about thirty years, maybe my tolerance is simply high.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Quality of vitamin C and BT

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Technically, Bowel Tolerance (according to Cathcart's writings and theory) is a measure of absorption.

That which is not absorbed into the blood stream, and makes it to the rectum, Cathcart felt causes the diarrhea.

Now there are other things that can cause diarrhea? Where you taking pills or powder?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by gmdodaro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:29 pm

The other vitamin C product was powder. The usable date extended to 2016.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:32 am

Well then maybe you couldn't tolerate the anti-freeze in Chinese vitamin C? ... uh.. kidding

Either a coincidence or something about the other form of the vitamin C powder makes it harder for your body to absorb. (It is not necessarily indicative of your underlying health if it is due to the change in product.)

I know that DSM offers three basic granularity, universal, fine and ultrafine Quali-C.

Universal is the least expensive, the particles or grains are larger, and most products probably use the equivalent from China. (One dissolved it might not matter, from a much earlier discussion).

However, our first product was the "fine" powder (partially because we didn't know there was an ultrafine grade). We called it the world's finest vitamin C, and one doctor in Indiana objected to calling it "The World's Finest." Here was his message:

"I strongly recommend you sell ultrafine powder labeled as world finest. There is no problem in using DSM fine powder, but there is clear difference when you go mega dose with ultra-fine powder reaching more that 10 g a day. You can sell the fine powder or crystals, but they are second or third grade (larger) at least in terms of size of the granules of ascorbic acid. Those differences result in the difference in bowel tolerance doses, which Dr. Robert Cathcart, III, insisted as the ideal dose of oral megadose Vitamin C therapy to individuals." - Byeong Keun Ha, M.D., Ph.D.

Dr Ha's email was the primary reason we introduced the UltraFINE powder. And our crude testing (using a glucose monitor to estimate vitamin blood levels) showed a sharp rise in blood levels after taking the UltraFINE (where sodium ascorbate seemed to have more of a timed release effect on blood levels.)

I still remember the debacle when our supplier back then, Douglas Laboratories, changed their own "default" vitamin C from the fine powder, to the universal grade. Unbeknownst to us, we were tied to their default (or so they say) so we got a batch of "universal", and it didn't take long for most of our customers to notice the difference! We couldn't sell it. [/b]
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”