Is it necessary to take Proline too?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Xina08

Is it necessary to take Proline too?

Post Number:#1  Post by Xina08 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello. I'm a newbie here. I'm 54 yrs old and heart-disease runs in my family, so I'm trying to prevent arteriosclerosis. After only very recently stumbling upon and learning about the Pauling Therapy, I started the program about 3 wks ago.

After calculating doseage according to my weight, I've been taking 5.34 grams of Vit C (NOW Foods Calcium Ascorbate, buffered), 2.61 grams of Lysine (Nature's Life), and 2 grams of Proline (Source Naturals) - all powder forms I disolve in a cup of water divided 3 times per day.

The C & L dissolve nicely in water & taste like almost nothing, very tolerable, I just suck it back without any aftertaste. But the Proline tastes rank & nasty. My question is: do I really need to take the Proline? :?:

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Is it necessary to take Proline too?

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Fri May 20, 2016 9:18 am

Interesting. Take those powders for many years together with much more nasty powders, like Alpha-lipoic-acid or Nicotinic acid, and therefore use Stevia extract to improve its taste, that I haven't even become aware Proline tastes nasty. Just tried it plain on my tongue (Source Natural too), and yes, now I can imagine that some would consider its taste offensive. Not me though.

Personally I would not take the risk to take it without Proline.. Bitter medicine improves the placebo effect too. :D

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 pm

My Proline doesn't taste bad at all. It tastes fairly sweet. I bought 500g of powder from a company in the UK and not Source Naturals. BTW Source Naturals have received a lot of criticism for some of the their products. I no longer use their products.

I didn't purchase the Proline for Pauling therapy, I purchased it for collagen and healing a skin wound but like a lot of the stuff I buy, I found it had other useful properties. I did the same with Lysine, I purchased that for to aid a skin wound/scar and found it useful for Pauling therapy. My family has a history of heart and circulatory disease with both my father and his father dying before the age of 60. I suspect a genetic polymorphism of folate metabolism but so far have not got it tested to find out. I do supplement with folates and P-5-P to help things along.

BTW Boron is meant to be helpful in keeping calcium where it is meant to be. I do take Boron, around 15mg/day.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 am

BrightSideOfLife wrote:My Proline doesn't taste bad at all. It tastes fairly sweet. I bought 500g of powder from a company in the UK and not Source Naturals.

Proline isn't widely available in Europe, or rather expensive. Source Naturals through iherb seemed the only reasonable priced option to me. Therefore, which is the UK company you get it from?

Thanks.

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 am

pamojja wrote:
BrightSideOfLife wrote:My Proline doesn't taste bad at all. It tastes fairly sweet. I bought 500g of powder from a company in the UK and not Source Naturals.

Proline isn't widely available in Europe, or rather expensive. Source Naturals through iherb seemed the only reasonable priced option to me. Therefore, which is the UK company you get it from?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I did not see your post.

Unfortunately you are correct, it is very expensive. The company that I purchased the first lot from Neulife no longer sells it although they do still list it on their site. I found that out when I tried to purchase some more very recently a few weeks back.

I had to purchase from Amazon Hellenia which is more expensive than I wanted to pay at £24.50 for 500g, a lot more expensive than Lysine which I get from TradeIngredients which is a fraction of the price. If you sign up at TradeIngredients they will send occasional discount codes which can get 20% and sometimes as much as 30% discount. With a discount Lysine can be purchased for 1/4 price of Proline.

The iherb seems very expensive when you take into account all the addons. I calculate it to be £44.12 for 500g when buying 5 of those Source Naturals Proline powders. There is VAT on orders over £15 and then Royal Mail costs of £9.60 plus VAT on delivery so you would have to order only 2 of them and pay higher delivery costs. I think that I would prefer buying from Hellenia Amazon because there are no delivery charges and no paying Royal Mail to collect VAT etc. That seems to be the lower cost option. eBay seems a bit more expensive.

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 am

A tip: With TradeIngredients if they send you a discount code you have to react quickly! Sometimes they cancel it quickly especially with the higher discounts. They can last only for a few hours. Prices are very good but delivery is extra at about £5.95 so I recommend that you order as much as you can. If there is anything else that you might want such as Xanthan gum which might be helpful then I recommend that you prepare an order before hand. They often send out discount codes at certain times of year, they sent one out fairly recently and Christmas is a typical time. Usually times of year when people's spending is compromised by other things to encourage people to spend.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”