Vitamins C and E do nothing to prevent heart disease in men?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Vitamins C and E do nothing to prevent heart disease in men?

Post by Cis4me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 pm

These are good points, and my only reason for "conceding" natural vitamin E to the naturalists has to do with the fact that I don't believe the actual vitamin E molecule is known, is it? How do you synthesize something you don't know its exact chemical character?

I had thought the chemical structure of vitamin e was well known and the term "vitamin e" actually represents multiple tocopherols and tocotrienols. I think I read somewhere that dl-alpha-tocopherol is the "synthetic" version because it is the cheapest one to make that has "vitamin e" properties (according to some study or another). I'm pretty sure many if not most of the vitamin e molecules that are known to occur naturally have been synthesized at this point along with who knows how many synthetic analogs.

In direct contrast, vitamin c refers to exactly one L eantomer of a certain organic acid or salt thereof derived from glucose. It got named ascorbic acid precicely because it was the only substance that prevented or cured scurvy.

Those chemists are pretty darn smart and have lots more tools at their disposal today than 100+ plus years ago when the term vitamin was first coined. :)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 am

I am sure they are synthesizing molecules that are believed to have "vitamin E activity", but what is the vitamin E deficiency disease? Without a deficiency disease that can be cured, you wind up with a "group" of similar antioxidant molecules that are found in plants. Someday, I may try to do historical research/reading on vitamin E.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post by Cis4me » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Good point! I know there are some who question if the tocopherols/tocotrienols are "Vitamin E" at all or if such a vitamin actually exists. Granted, "Vitamin" is somewhat of an antiquated and ambigous term. I've never found any documented "Vitamin E deficiency disease". I personally take 1000 units of vitamin e (as mixed tocopherols), sometimes I wonder if it is one of the things I could cut out.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 am

Cis4me wrote: I personally take 1000 units of vitamin e (as mixed tocopherols), sometimes I wonder if it is one of the things I could cut out.

Well, even with the ambiguity, I remember reading in Sinatra's CoQ10 book that the world health organization (WHO) researchers found a factor several times more important (cause of early death) than either high cholesterol or high blood pressure in a very large study (large population).

You guessed it, low serum vitamin E.

I think the vitamin E deficiency disease is probably Heart Attack. I have family members who suffered heart attacks, in both cases, a few weeks after running out of vitamin E and not purchasing more. I also have a faint memory that vitamin E is required for lower blood viscosity, that the process of red blood cell creation in the marrow is a factor, and that coincidentally, it is about 2 weeks in the marrow before the blood enters the blood stream.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

godsilove

Post by godsilove » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 am

Vitamin E deficiency is rarer than other vitamin deficiencies, partly because most people manage to get sufficient amounts of it through diet. It is mostly found in people with disorders in fat metabolism or absorption, and usually leads to neuromuscular problems.

Any link to the WHO study in question?

J.Lilinoe

Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Owen, a former co-worker of mine had a heart attack several years ago and decided to take Vitamin E religiously after the event. She has never had a heart attack again. The only problem she has is that she is borderline diabetic.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:27 am

It is not easy to find, at least using google/Internet. (You would think such a finding would have been news?) I'll put it on my list, to go through the Sinatra book, and follow the reference, and will post it here.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

godsilove

Post by godsilove » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:16 am

ofonorow wrote:

It is not easy to find, at least using google/Internet. (You would think such a finding would have been news?) I'll put it on my list, to go through the Sinatra book, and follow the reference, and will post it here.

Thanks, Owen.

It is strange that it's not easy to find with Google, considering the sensationalist media usually jumps onto stories like this. My guess is that this was a study done before the advent of the Interwebs.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Vitamin E consists of tocopherols and tocotrienols:
Tocopherols:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocopherols

Tocotrienols:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocotrienol

They are not always found together and may have specific functions when used independently.
d-Alpha Tocopherol is known to block d-gamma tocopherol.
The form used in these studies is always dl-alpha tocopherol, which is found in no biological systems in nature. It is synthesized from carbide.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”