question

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

bruceb

question

Post Number:#1  Post by bruceb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 am

Greetings;
I am 59 years old (tomorrow) and consider myself to be in pretty good health. I exercise pretty regularly and can keep up pretty good with my 7 grown children and 8 grandkids. My family has history of heart disease, dad died at 75 and had triple bypass at 55 after having a heart attack. His heart was damaged and he had congestive heart failure but lived a pretty fruitful life. MY brother died at 40 (20 years ago) from I think it was ventricular fib but he did have some blockage.

My LAD is about 50 percent blocked. I found this out about 2 years ago. I scheduled a CT scan I had no negative symptoms but thought I would check it out figuring if there was some clogging it would have started. The CT scan confirmed my suspicions. After the scan I scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist. I have had 2 of the nuclear stress tests and have aced them. He said I can skip a year but to keep up the good work. I take SImvistatin and my levels are all good (would like them better). I did have a period of getting atrial fib from time to time and once went to the ER because it would not stop on its own.

I REALLY want to reverse the blockage!! Found your web site and ordered the Cardio C today. Was this the right product? Will there be specific instructions on dosage with the product?

Thank you, Bruce

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: question

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Welcome. I am glad you found us and we try to provide the best information possible about the Pauling/Rath theory and therapies. This forum helps keep us honest, as it is viewed world-wide. We don't usually get away with many mistakes.

Okay, Cardio-C is an excellent product, and if you can start with 2 scoops daily (2 jars monthly) you will be at the low-therapeutic end of Pauling's recommended therapy for cardiovascular disease in humans. It is a good product for new comers, especially for people that are not currently supplementing vitamin C (over some small amount), or people who are taking other elements of the protocol separately, e.g. vitamin E. Cardio-C was designed primarily as a preventive.

We are all different, and we all have differing requirements for vitamin C. And there may be other nutrients that are important in both preventing heart disease, and reversing the process. What are these ingredients?

Well different doctors have different ideas. The protocol that I have been recommending and refining since 1994 is posted as an excerpt (chapter) from my book, See: http://www.practicingmedicinewithoutali ... /protocol/ The protocol is largely based on Linus Pauling's recommendations, but there has been input and feedback from people during the period when I was routinely discussing Pauling's therapy with people over the phone. This forum has been important as I don't have to repeat myself over and over to each caller.

To the extent an existing product fits this protocol, probably the Tower Ascorsine-9 product comes the closest.

As far as reading you might consider to "catch up" on a subject that is sadly foreign to most cardiologists, I would suggest:

How To Live Longer and Feel Better by Linus Pauling 1986, 2001

If you follow the protocol in this book you will cover 90% of the bases

Stop America's #1 Killer by Thomas Levy, MD, JD and board certified cardiologist

Dr. Levy illustrates what can happen when a trained cardiologist also becomes an expert in vitamin C. Levy reduced all 27 known CVD risk factors to a single factor. You guessed it - low vitamin C in the tissues. What a revolution if every cardiologist read Levy's book!

My book - which makes several points. Dosage Dosage Dosage, and Dosage.

If you have more specific questions, we will entertain them. I am curious, you didn't mention your vitamin C intake. If you are typical, you haven't been consuming 10,000 mg or more of vitamin C your entire life. True?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#3  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:53 am

and by the way, that statin drug you are taking only lowers your risk for heart disease but does not prevent heart disease. For primary prevention, the absolute risk reduction is 1%.

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#4  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:12 am

oh and one more thing, statin drugs which are derived from the poison called, red yeast rice have some very serious side effects like congestive heart failure (deprives the heart of coenzyme Q10) , memory loss or Alzheimer's (deprives the brain of cholesterol), muscle wasting (activates the atrogin-1 gene that proceeds to destroy muscles), harms skeletal muscles (keeps the muscles you use for exercising from regenerating), lowers the immune system which can lead to cancer, etc. Most doctors won't tell their patients about these side effects because the side effects show up later, and usually you are older by then and the doctors will blame it on your old age instead.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Fish oil and magnesium (not oxide) for atrial fib.

Adopt the Mediterranean Diet.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

godsilove

Post Number:#6  Post by godsilove » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 pm

J.Lilinoe wrote:and by the way, that statin drug you are taking only lowers your risk for heart disease but does not prevent heart disease. For primary prevention, the absolute risk reduction is 1%.

By contrast, what would the absolute risk reduction of taking Cardio-C alone be?

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 am

By contrast, what would the absolute risk reduction of taking Cardio-C alone be?

The answer to your question is unknown because we could not get any funding from NIH to prove or disprove the Pauling/Rath Theory.

Here is what we have known since 1992:

Vitamin C intake and mortality among a sample of the United States population
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1591317

Which statins beat this?
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

godsilove

Post Number:#8  Post by godsilove » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Ralph Lotz wrote:

The answer to your question is unknown because we could not get any funding from NIH to prove or disprove the Pauling/Rath Theory.

It's a shame because it would be great to know. By "we", who do you mean?

Here is what we have known since 1992:

Vitamin C intake and mortality among a sample of the United States population
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1591317

Which statins beat this?

Can't say, since statin use was not evaluated in that study. But on the issue of Vitamin C intake, I'm assuming (since I cannot access the paper in it's entirety) that even those considered to have high Vit C intake would have had a far lower intake then someone taking the recommended dose of Cardio-C, right?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am

By "we", Ralph means the Vitamin C Foundation.

I believe our second NIH grant request is posted here:

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NCCAMgrant/
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

godsilove

Post Number:#10  Post by godsilove » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 am

ofonorow wrote:By "we", Ralph means the Vitamin C Foundation.

I believe our second NIH grant request is posted here:

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NCCAMgrant/

Thanks for the link. Does the NIH usually give a reason for refusing a grant application?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:05 am

Yes, we got a reviewers summary which we also posted. (Cannot find it, may have lost the scanned image when we moved the web site.) In any case, there was no objection to the science or methods, only to the investigators - in both cases. The first application was for Warren Levin, MD, to be the principal investigator.

Apparently, NIH investigators must be members of a select club? Many years ago (1996), when we went to see medical researchers at USC (might have been UCLA) face-to-face, we were literally laughed out of their office when we brought up the idea that they submit a grant request to study the Pauling therapy/theory, so we did it ourselves.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”