Lp(a) has not decreased as expected on Tower/PT

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Lp(a) has not decreased as expected on Tower/PT

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:02 am

On 4/02/08 the lipoprotein (a) content in system was 163 nmol/L. Since that time I have
been taking four scoops/day of Heart Technology and since about 9/1/08 Ascosine 9. On 12/19/08 my lipoprotein (a) content was 172 nmol/L. What should I do to reduce the lp(a)? Thanks for your response.

Lp(a) varies by a thousand fold among population, according to Pauling. May be a genetic disposition. From the Medical School Professor, his Lp(a) dropped 30% in 6 months, but to zero after 14 months. I would not panic until after 18 months since we don't know how long it takes to switch off Lp(a) production.

Also, diabetic? What drugs?? (Statins increase Lp(a) Dental work?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Apologia

Re: Lp(a) has not decreased as expected on Tower/PT

Post Number:#2  Post by Apologia » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but certainly not new to Pauling, vitamin C, or this website. I've been fascinated for quite some time with the Unified Theory, and believe it has much to offer.

I was drawn to this post, as I also have high Lp(a). I'm currently on the Pauling protocol for this reason, and I also gain insights from Dr. William Davis, MD, author of the incredible Track Your Plaque program. I am "experimenting" with a synergy between these to programs. Time will tell.

If I may, I'd like to add some ideas for Lp(a) reduction in addition to the Pauling protocol. The lysine, proline, vit. C mix that Pauling/Rath proposed makes perfect sense, and should be used, but there are a few other things that might help to bring down Lp(a) as well.

-Niacin. Niacin is conventionally the preferred treatment for Lp(a). It does work, but is very slow acting. 18-36 months might be required to see good results. Also, occasional breaks are required, as resistance sometimes develops. Niacin is safe, provided it is not an extended-release (12 hrs. or more) preparation. The "niacin flush" is uncomfortable for some, but is manageable if you stick with it, gradually taper up your dose, and stay hydrated. Immediate-release is fine for non-sensitive individuals; Slo-Niacin works well for those who have a harder time with the flush (Slo-Niacin is shorter lived in the body than the extended-release preparation, and has a good safety record). 1-2 grams per day is usually a good dose for bringing down Lp(a). Sometimes the dose needs to be greater, but if you decide to do more, keep on eye on that liver (i.e., monitor liver enzymes through blood testing).

-Balance Hormones. Getting your testosterone, DHEA, and thyroid levels optimized will drive your Lp(a) down, sometimes dramatically. Women: normalizing estrogen is vital.

-Nuts and Seeds. Foods like raw almonds and ground flaxseed have a a very positive effect on Lp(a), and they taste good, too! Consume regularly and expect a drop around 10% or so. Maybe more.

-High Dose Fish Oil. Think about doses upwards of 10 grams per day. This will have a profound effect on Lp(a). Those of us with higher Lp(a) require greater doses of omega-3s than average. As a Lp(a) sufferer, you want to get at least 6,000 mg EPA+DHA per day.

-L-Carnitine. Has a modest effect on Lp(a) - probably less than 10%. Nothing dramatic, but it's great for heart health anyway, so why not add it to the mix?

-Cut Out Wheat and Limit Carbs. Things like wheat, cornstarch, and refined carbs are some of the most dangerous foods heart-wise. Consider adopting something akin to a Paleo or lower-carb diet. This will improve all parameters.

-Vitamin D. Important for more reasons than I can list during my lunch break. :) Shoot for 25(OH)D levels of around 60-70 ng/ml. Vitamin D has an important role in plaque regression. Even in those who fail in bringing down Lp(a) (by the Pauling protocol or any other method), the addition of optimal vitamin D status has been shown to be one of the missing links in reversing the progression of arterial plaque.

By addressing Lp(a) in a comprehensive way like this, and paying attention to lifestyle and diet (non-starchy vegetables, grass-fed meats, good fats like coconut oil, MCT, olive oil, no grains, exercising so as to eliminate belly fat, taking in heart-healthy nutrients, such as magnesium, taurine, etc.), it would not be unusual to see a 50% drop in your Lp(a) in a relatively short amount of time (not to mention improvements everywhere else as well!)

Just my two cents. Hope it helps, and good luck!

David

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”