The affects of L-LYSINE on the Liver

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

The affects of L-LYSINE on the Liver

Post Number:#1  Post by sweetjames » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:47 pm

I have a question about L-LYSINE, i heard that taken in high doses L-LYSINE can be harmful to the Liver, is this true ?

Lone Dog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The affects of L-LYSINE on the Liver

Post Number:#2  Post by Lone Dog » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:35 am

Funnily enough, for the first time ever I saw something referring to lysine and the liver only the other day. But on the whole I think most people will say it's totally safe.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 am

lysine is one of the least toxic substances known. Like vitamin C, it has no known lethal dosage, as far as I have been able to determine, and you require at least 1 gram daily to stay in what is called "nitrogen balance." (If you are not in nitrogen balance, the body will start borrowing nitrogen from proteins in the body, say muscles.)

If you can find a credible references to this assertion (other than the original Loma Linda report that lab animals on lysine have increased serum cholesterol levels) I would appreciate seeing the citation.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by sjmusic2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 am

I read this recently... http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev ... ze=largest

Obviously it's in rats and they were fed huge amounts of L-Lysine. Still, the drop in liver synthesis of AA is small. How relevent is this to humans, probably not a lot as we don't synthesize AA and don't usually approach LD50 consumption quantities of L-Lysine.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:43 am

Honestly, I couldn't read that or figure out how to zoom in. Could you put the reference (title/authors/journal dates) in a reply to this post, and I'll read it in the normal manner. Thank you.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by sjmusic2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:04 pm

...when the new window opens, just click your mouse on the text and it will enlarge automatically.

Just in case that doesn't work..."Effects of L-Lysine administration on certain aspects of ascorbic acid metabolism in weanling rats", Chatterjee, Basu et al,

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”