Do Statins Reduce Overall Mortality

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Do Statins Reduce Overall Mortality

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:13 am

The meta analysis that caught my attention more than 10 years ago at Oxford found that Lp(a) (a form of LDL) increases the risk of heart attack/CVD by 70% The Framingham study was also reevaluated and came to a similar result. Lp(a) and not LDL is the primary risk factor, and if a particular study doesn't consider the Lp(a) fraction, then the finding could very well be associated with Lp(a) - as Pauling/Rath assert.

This doesn't seem to be the same reference, but it is similar
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/11/2301
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1534 ... d_RVDocSum
Lipoprotein(a) Is Associated Differentially With Carotid Stenosis, Occlusion, and Total Plaque Area
http://atvb.ahajournals.org.proxy.cc.ui ... 28/10/1851
Lipoprotein(a) Levels and Risk of Future Coronary Heart Disease
http://archinte.ama-assn.org.proxy.cc.u ... /168/6/598
Conclusions There are independent, continuous associations between Lp(a) levels and risk of future CHD in a broad range of individuals. Levels of Lp(a) are highly stable within individuals across many years and are only weakly correlated with known risk factors. Further assessment of their possible role in CHD prevention is warranted.

godsilove wrote:
We know through several large clinical trials that statins reduce all-cause mortality. A meta-analysis conducted by the Cholesterol Treatment Trialist's (CTT) group in 2005 demonstrates that statins reduce the risk of all-cause mortality and mortality from coronary heart disease, proportional to the reduction in LDL-cholesterol. A 1 mmol/L reduction in LDL, for instance, reduced both mortality as well as the incidence of major vascular events in the treatment arm.

I can point to a similar study that showed a more striking effect of low serum vitamin C levels and the increased mortality of an elderly population in the United Kingdom.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1459 ... t=Abstract

But to your point, it would be a highly surprising result if statin drugs really reduce all-cause mortality, especially given the large number of studies where no such effect has been seen. If you can give me a better pointer to the study you are citing, I will take the time to read it.

note. After putting all the responses in the same topic, I decided to try putting each issue into its own separate topic..?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

godsilove

Re: Do Statins Reduce Overall Mortality

Post Number:#2  Post by godsilove » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:57 pm

ofonorow wrote:The meta analysis that caught my attention more than 10 years ago at Oxford found that Lp(a) (a form of LDL) increases the risk of heart attack/CVD by 70% The Framingham study was also reevaluated and came to a similar result. Lp(a) and not LDL is the primary risk factor, and if a particular study doesn't consider the Lp(a) fraction, then the finding could very well be associated with Lp(a) - as Pauling/Rath assert.

This doesn't seem to be the same reference, but it is similar
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/11/2301
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1534 ... d_RVDocSum
Lipoprotein(a) Is Associated Differentially With Carotid Stenosis, Occlusion, and Total Plaque Area
http://atvb.ahajournals.org.proxy.cc.ui ... 28/10/1851
Lipoprotein(a) Levels and Risk of Future Coronary Heart Disease
http://archinte.ama-assn.org.proxy.cc.u ... /168/6/598
Conclusions There are independent, continuous associations between Lp(a) levels and risk of future CHD in a broad range of individuals. Levels of Lp(a) are highly stable within individuals across many years and are only weakly correlated with known risk factors. Further assessment of their possible role in CHD prevention is warranted.

There are multiple risk factors for CVD. Lp(a) may well be an independent risk factor for CVD, but that does not preclude LDL-C from being a risk factor either.

But to your point, it would be a highly surprising result if statin drugs really reduce all-cause mortality, especially given the large number of studies where no such effect has been seen. If you can give me a better pointer to the study you are citing, I will take the time to read it.

The CTT meta-analysis showed that there was a reduction in all-cause mortality proportional to a reduction in LDL-C.(Link)

There are probably other studies addressing all-cause mortality, but to my knowledge this is the most comprehensive meta-analysis.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 am

Thank you for that link, I only read the abstract, but I wonder about the raw numbers and your claim that statins reduce overall mortality from these numbers, something like 7% of the study population died, 13% had major vascular events and 4.5% contracted cancer.

Obviously these were very ill patients. And I happen to know that generally cardiovascular patients are advised against taking vitamin C.

So on the basis of these numbers they cite a 12% reduction in mortality for the group on statins. (On the surface this sounds impressive, but from my personal observations over the past decade, I would predict that medicine could have achieved about a 90% decrease in overall mortality, all they had to do was provide the study group with the Linus Pauling specified levels of vitamin C ( 5-6 g).)

I'll admit, the abstract has intrigued me to read the entire paper.

One of my first questions is why they limited their study to these 14 trials, when there have been hundreds and hundreds of trials.

A prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 individuals in 14 randomised trials of statins was done. Weighted estimates were obtained of effects on different clinical outcomes per 1.0 mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol. FINDINGS: During a mean of 5 years, there were 8186 deaths, 14,348 individuals had major vascular events, and 5103 developed cancer. Mean LDL cholesterol differences at 1 year ranged from 0.35 mmol/L to 1.77 mmol/L (mean 1.09) in these trials. There was a 12% proportional reduction in all-cause mortality per mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol (rate ratio [RR] 0.88, 95% CI 0.84-0.91; p<0.0001). This reflected a 19% reduction in coronary mortality (0.81, 0.76-0.85; p<0.0001), and non-significant reductions in non-coronary vascular mortality (0.93, 0.83-1.03; p=0.2) and non-vascular mortality (0.95, 0.90-1.01; p=0.1). There were corresponding reductions in myocardial infarction or coronary death (0.77, 0.74-0.80; p<0.0001), in the need for coronary revascularisation (0.76, 0.73-0.80; p<0.0001), in fatal or non-fatal stroke (0.83, 0.78-0.88; p<0.0001), and, combining these, of 21% in any such major vascular event (0.79, 0.77-0.81; p<0.0001).

By the way, what are "weighted estimate of outcomes?"
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 am

I am reading the statin meta-analysis paper and taking notes. They spend a great deal of time explaining the way the statistics were computed, "the weightings", without explaining why? What do they gain by "weighting"? What it is for?

And can you (or anyone) explain why all these studies were published on average 5 years after the study ended? (I can think of a few reasons...)

Naturally the largest study is the Heart Protection Study, and depending on the weighting, this study may have undue influence. (I still maintain that the HPS positive results includes the statin + vitamin group, and not just the statin group. The paper can be read this way, and since they haven't released the data, my interpretation is impossible to refute :-) Actually, since they included all the 20,000 HPS participants, this data has to include about 4000 who were both on vitamins and statins.

One wonders how many of the other trials played the same game, adding vitamins to statins?

Taking all years together, the overall incidence of major coronary events was reduced by about one quarter per mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol among participants with a previous history of MI or other CHD, as well as among those without any pre-existing CHD (figure 5). But since the absolute risk of events was higher among participants with pre-existing CHD, this reduction of about a quarter per mmol/L LDL cholesterol reduction translated into 30 (95% CI 24–37) fewer such participants having major coronary events per 1000 during an average of 5 years, compared with 18 (14–23) fewer among participants who did not have pre-existing CHD (figure 6 and webfigure 1ii).

So 30 fewer (per 1000) over 5 years is what, 6 per 1000 per year? or 3 per 1000 fewer for those who did not have pre-existing CHD. This is less than a 1% difference in absolute terms between the two groups, correct? So we are basing the idea that statins reduce mortality on a less than 1/2 of 1% difference in a population known not to be advised to take vitamin C. Quite a small difference between placebo and statin intake, if you ask me, and probably the reason these studies took so long to publish. They are not very good news for the makers of statins.

Now, they seem to focus on lower cholesterol, rather than statin use per se. It is hard to discern how this might impact these results, but we know that vitamin C can lead to lower cholesterol levels. So for example, anyone who participated in these studies, taking a high amount of vitamin C on their own - in either group, would apparently drive this analysis toward lower mortality w/r lower cholesterol. Yes, this seems to be how they achieved this result. This paper is not focused on statins, it is focused on absolute cholesterol reduction. Yes, it is probably true that the statin group's cholesterol was lower, but how do we know for sure? This is my first reading, but I cannot find a statement that these results are on the basis of who took statins, and who didn't, rather on cholesterol reduction.

The results of this meta-analysis are consistent with there being an approximately linear relationship between the absolute reductions in LDL cholesterol achieved in these trials and the proportional reductions in the incidence of coronary and other major vascular events. This finding is reinforced by those of some direct randomised comparisons of different statin regimens,29 CP Cannon, E Braunwald and CH McCabe et al., Comparison of intensive and moderate lipid lowering with statins after acute coronary syndromes, N Engl J Med 350 (2004), pp. 1495–1504. Full Text via CrossRef | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus (1550)[29], [30] and [31] which also indicate that larger LDL cholesterol reductions produce larger reductions in vascular disease risk. (Further evidence will be provided by other such trials that are still ongoing.[32] and [33]) Overall among the trials included in the present meta-analysis, the difference in LDL cholesterol at 5 years was about 0·8 mmol/L (chiefly reflecting non-compliance with the allocated treatments).

For the record 1 mmol/L is worth 38.67 mg/dl, (for us backward types in the USA) so we are talking about the "value" of dropping about 40 points off cholesterol in this analysis.

Most of the trials in this report were supported by research grants from the pharmaceutical industry. Some members of the writing committee (CB, AK, RP, RC, and JS) have had the costs of participating in scientific meetings reimbursed by the pharmaceutical industry.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

godsilove

Post Number:#5  Post by godsilove » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm

ofonorow wrote:Thank you for that link, I only read the abstract, but I wonder about the raw numbers and your claim that statins reduce overall mortality from these numbers, something like 7% of the study population died, 13% had major vascular events and 4.5% contracted cancer.

Obviously these were very ill patients.

"Very ill"? What makes you say that? :?

And I happen to know that generally cardiovascular patients are advised against taking vitamin C.

This is news to me. How do you know this?

Even IF that were the case, it would still apply to the controls who were on a placebo.

So on the basis of these numbers they cite a 12% reduction in mortality for the group on statins. (On the surface this sounds impressive, but from my personal observations over the past decade, I would predict that medicine could have achieved about a 90% decrease in overall mortality, all they had to do was provide the study group with the Linus Pauling specified levels of vitamin C ( 5-6 g).)

Perhaps statins are not as effective as vitamin C. But where's the evidence?

One of my first questions is why they limited their study to these 14 trials, when there have been hundreds and hundreds of trials.

The CTT group published the protocol for which studies would be eligible in 1995 - I believe most of the 14 trials were already planned or underway.

There may be several small trials of statins, but not all of them are placebo-controlled.

By the way, what are "weighted estimate of outcomes?"[/color]

An example of a weighted estimate would be a weighted mean (means, medians, etc are all "estimates" in statistics).

Say you have have two groups, A and B consisting of 10 people and 90 people, respectively. Both groups are randomly sampled from the same population, and you want to know what the average height of the population is. Say the average height in group A is 5.0 feet, and the average height in group B is 6.0 feet. You could calculate an unweighted mean simply by adding the two means and diving by two, hence getting 5.5 ft. However, since the sample in group A is relatively small, there is a higher chance of sampling error and the average could be lower simply by chance. A weighted mean would account for the different sample sizes, i.e. (5.0*0.1) + (6.0*0.9) = 5.9 feet.

The same thing is done in metanalyses which draw data from multiple studies with varying sample sizes.

godsilove

Post Number:#6  Post by godsilove » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:10 pm

ofonorow wrote:And can you (or anyone) explain why all these studies were published on average 5 years after the study ended? (I can think of a few reasons...)

You're looking at trials involving thousands of patients whose records have to be collected, reviewed (sometimes by independent bodies if the protocol requires), and then the statistical tests have to be done and checked, and finally the paper has to be written. These are also often multicenter trials, so you can imagine the logistics involved - the investigators might be working on more than one project simultaneously, not to mention their other academic obligations. Furthermore, even once the manuscript is finished, it first has to be sent in for peer review, and modifications/clarifications might have to be made based on the results of the peer review. Even once the paper is approved for publication it may be a few months till the paper is actually published in print.

Naturally the largest study is the Heart Protection Study, and depending on the weighting, this study may have undue influence. (I still maintain that the HPS positive results includes the statin + vitamin group, and not just the statin group. The paper can be read this way, and since they haven't released the data, my interpretation is impossible to refute :-) Actually, since they included all the 20,000 HPS participants, this data has to include about 4000 who were both on vitamins and statins.

There was no benefit shown with vitamins in the HPS study, i.e. the group on vitamins and statins did not do any better than the one on statins alone. I recall posting the link in another thread.

One wonders how many of the other trials played the same game, adding vitamins to statins?
[/color]

You can go on the CTT website where they've listed the 14 studies used in the trial, and you can look up the design of each trial:
http://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/projects/ctt/i ... reference1

Taking all years together, the overall incidence of major coronary events was reduced by about one quarter per mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol among participants with a previous history of MI or other CHD, as well as among those without any pre-existing CHD (figure 5). But since the absolute risk of events was higher among participants with pre-existing CHD, this reduction of about a quarter per mmol/L LDL cholesterol reduction translated into 30 (95% CI 24–37) fewer such participants having major coronary events per 1000 during an average of 5 years, compared with 18 (14–23) fewer among participants who did not have pre-existing CHD (figure 6 and webfigure 1ii).

So 30 fewer (per 1000) over 5 years is what, 6 per 1000 per year? or 3 per 1000 fewer for those who did not have pre-existing CHD. This is less than a 1% difference in absolute terms between the two groups, correct?

You're looking at major coronary events, not all major vascular events (if you take that into consideration, the risk reductions are greater). Figure 6 shows the summary in a format that's easier to understand. Like you say, if you're looking at major coronary events alone, there were 30 fewer events per 1,000 people after 5 years amongst those with previous CHD (i.e. secondary prevention) vs. 18 fewer events per 1,000 people amongst those without previous CHD (primary prevention). I'm not sure why you are comparing the primary prevention group to the secondary prevention group, unless you want to show that the benefits are greater for those who already have CHD. When comparing to placebo, the absolute risk reduction for the secondary prevention group is around 3% compared to <2% in the primary prevention group - when looking at coronary events alone. When looking at all major vascular events, the absolute risk reductions are roughly 5% and 2%, respectively.

Bear in mind, this is just looking at a 1 mmol/L reduction in LDL-C. If you look at figure 3 (or even the webfigures if you have access to them), you'll see that the risk reduction is proportional to further reductions in LDL-C, based on the meta-regression. Also note that this is looking at all participants - the benefits vary depending on patient characteristics, i.e. greater benefit in men than in women, greater benefit in patients under 65 compared to those over, etc. As I've said before, the benefit of statin use varies from patient to patient. Certainly, someone who is already at low risk of cardiovascular disease will not derive a clinically meaningful benefit from statin use. On the other hand, there is strong evidence of clinical benefit in patients who are at higher risk.

For someone who has had a previous MI, taking statins for five years results in an absolute risk benefit of 5% - i.e, 1 in every 20 people in a similar situation will manage to avoid having another heart attack by being on the drug. To some, those odds are pretty meagre. But to others, a one in twenty chance of avoiding another heart attack or having to undergo a bypass surgery is something they'd be more than willing to take. If I had those odds, I probably would take it so long as I can afford and tolerate the drugs. But someone else might not think that the cost-benefit ratio is not high enough. Patients need to be able to make an informed decision based on the available evidence.

So we are basing the idea that statins reduce mortality on a less than 1/2 of 1% difference in a population known not to be advised to take vitamin C.

I beg to differ on the latter point; it's simply speculation to say that the study population were being advised not to take vitamin C. But even if they were, the control group would also have had the same recommendations. It does not change the fact that the treatment group benefited.

Quite a small difference between placebo and statin intake, if you ask me, and probably the reason these studies took so long to publish. They are not very good news for the makers of statins.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. We can look at the absolute mortality risk reduction over five years (which is quite low to begin with), or we can look at the reduction in major vascular events. I think the latter is an important endpoint as far as quality of life is concerned.

Studies take long to publish for a variety of reasons, mostly logistical. Most of the studies in this meta-analysis were probably very good news for statin makers (and you only have to look at statin sales over the past decade). The recent JUPITER trial for Crestor was deemed to be good news for AstraZeneca even though the absolute risk reduction was only something like 1% (or perhaps less, I don't recall).

Obviously, statins are not magic bullets. But used in conjunction with other interventions and lifestyle modifications, they can provide a clinically meaningful benefit.

Now, they seem to focus on lower cholesterol, rather than statin use per se. It is hard to discern how this might impact these results, but we know that vitamin C can lead to lower cholesterol levels. So for example, anyone who participated in these studies, taking a high amount of vitamin C on their own - in either group, would apparently drive this analysis toward lower mortality w/r lower cholesterol.

You're implying that by chance, in a population of thousands of patients, those taking vitamin C supplements somehow aggregated in the treatment group. That's literally incredible.

Yes, this seems to be how they achieved this result. This paper is not focused on statins, it is focused on absolute cholesterol reduction. Yes, it is probably true that the statin group's cholesterol was lower, but how do we know for sure? This is my first reading, but I cannot find a statement that these results are on the basis of who took statins, and who didn't, rather on cholesterol reduction.

The analyses are based on the treatment group vs. the control group.

I don't think they've included a table summarizing the differences in cholesterol from each study, but you can find these by looking up the individual studies. For example, from the AFCAPS/TexCAPs study: Link.

Anyway, if vitamin C lowers cholesterol then perhaps it does prevent cardiovascular disease at sufficient dosages. :)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 am

90,056 individuals in 14 randomised trials of statins was done. Weighted estimates were obtained of effects on different clinical outcomes per 1.0 mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol. FINDINGS: During a mean of 5 years, there were 8186 deaths

8186 deaths out of 90056 individuals in five years implies to me that these patients were very ill. (I remember the Harvard Rimm study had something like 657 events (not deaths, just cardiovascular episodes) in something like 60,000 nurses).

I still do not understand "with all that work" you describe, how it could require on average five years to get these results analyzed, especially if these results were so good for the drugs companies. A year, maybe, two years on the outside. Something else is going on, and I suspect the results didn't come out the way they had hoped, and I know from reading the Brown studies, that after reevaluating, they admitted dropping various subjects from the study.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

godsilove

Post Number:#8  Post by godsilove » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm

ofonorow wrote:
90,056 individuals in 14 randomised trials of statins was done. Weighted estimates were obtained of effects on different clinical outcomes per 1.0 mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol. FINDINGS: During a mean of 5 years, there were 8186 deaths

8186 deaths out of 90056 individuals in five years implies to me that these patients were very ill. (I remember the Harvard Rimm study had something like 657 events (not deaths, just cardiovascular episodes) in something like 60,000 nurses).

I guess I was just thrown off by your use of the word "very". A number of patients included in this meta-analysis were on statins for secondary prevention, i.e. they had already had a previous vascular event such as a heart attack. I would imagine that those on it for primary prevention also had also at least one CV risk factor. They weren't a normal, healthy population - but I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "very ill".

I still do not understand "with all that work" you describe, how it could require on average five years to get these results analyzed, especially if these results were so good for the drugs companies. A year, maybe, two years on the outside. Something else is going on, and I suspect the results didn't come out the way they had hoped, and I know from reading the Brown studies, that after reevaluating, they admitted dropping various subjects from the study.

It's actually fairly normal for clinical trials to be published 2-3 years after publication - and most clinical trials don't involve thousands of patients. I think the size of these trials needs to be factored in.

malcolan

Post Number:#9  Post by malcolan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Statin drugs obviously lower cholesterol, but I'm in the camp that thinks your cholesterol number is not a good indicator/predictor of cardiovascular disease.

Maybe I'm just simple minded, but to me, if your cholesterol is high, then what you have is an inflammation problem...not a heart problem.

Also, I don't believe for a second that statins reduce overall mortality....and neither does Byron Richards, who wrote an article about it last summer.

Here's a link, if anyone cares to read it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024001.html

That's my 2 cents...keep the change.

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#10  Post by BaronZemo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 am

I have two uncles one had a stroke and was permantly disabled , I believe he was on statins at the time and still had a stroke, maybe bp pills a s well. Another was on statins, tryglyceride meds, bp meds and stints . two years in on all the meds, he had two stints that were blocked. Was operated on, cleared up. I believe now he is taking fish oil. At any rate, he has had no problems in three years. There father died of HA at the age of 50 back in the days before medicine was developed to treat cholesterol. So there seems to be some benefite to satins.

My belief is that to get real benefit from C etc is to take it at an early age, so these problems never get a real foothold, I don't stains are without benefit, just costly and with potential bad effects on body, but I believe this is true with most medications , find a natural alternative if possible, otherwise go the western medicine route as last resort.

godsilove

Post Number:#11  Post by godsilove » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:40 am

malcolan wrote:Here's a link, if anyone cares to read it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024001.html

That's my 2 cents...keep the change.

That article doesn't actually address the issue of statins reducing overall mortality, which has been demonstrated in meta-analyses of RCTs involving statins, albeit the reduction is small.

The paper in the Canadian Medical Association Journal found a V-shaped relationship between LDL-cholesterol and cholesterol in type II diabetic patients not receiving statins. Cancer risk was increased at very low LDL levels, but given that this was an observational study one cannot presume that low LDL has a causative role. What we do know is that these patients did not have lowered cholesterol due to statin use, since they weren't using them.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by Ralph Lotz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 pm

No, statins do not reduce overall mortality in healthy people.

Statins don’t increase survival in healthy people

Statins have never been shown to be effective in reducing the risk of death in people with no history of heart disease. No study of statins on this “primary prevention population” has ever shown reduced mortality in healthy men and women with only an elevated serum cholesterol level and no known coronary heart disease. (CMAJ. 2005 Nov 8;173(10):1207; author reply 1210.) In fact, an analysis of large, controlled trials prior to 2000 found that long-term use of statins for primary prevention of CHD produced a 1% greater risk of death over 10 years compared to placebo

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-truth- ... tin-drugs/
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”