Bad CT Scan but good blood work - After One Year

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

t05

Bad CT Scan but good blood work - After One Year

Post Number:#1  Post by t05 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Calcium score in 2015 - 534
Started on Dr. Esselstyn diet - vegan with no oil for 18 months.
Triglycerides way too high. Switched to very low or no saturated fat. Lean meats. Triglycerides came way down
Started Linus Pauling therapy in May of 2018.
Calcium score in May 2019 - 1865.

Bloodwork always good. Most current is posted below.

Any thoughts on why calcium score increasing so fast? How worried should I be? Doesn't seem to be working, right?

Bloodwork results on Pauling therapy, April 2019:

Actual is listed first, normal range listed second.

VLDL Particles 12 <85 nmol/L
Total LDL Particles 605 <900 nmol/L
Non-HDL Particles 617 <1000 nmol/L
Remnant Lipoprotein 45 <150 nmol/L
Dense LDL III 173 <300 nmol/L
Dense LDL IV 87 <100 nmol/L
Total HDL Particles 7823 >7000 nmol/L
Buoyant HDL 2b 2307 >1500 nmol/L
Triglycerides 51 30-150 mg/dL
Lipoprotein(a) 7.9 6.0-29.9 mg/dL
hs-CRP 0.34 <3.00 mg/L
Homocysteine 13.9 <11.0
Apolipoprotein A1 168 >115 mg/dL
Apolipoprotein B 67 40-100 mg/dL
Insulin, Serum 7.8 <21.0
Leptin 13.4 0.0-9.5 ng/mL
Glucose 107 70-105 mg/dL
Hemoglobin A1c 5.4 1.0-5.5 %
C-Peptide 2.2 0.7-7.1 ng/mL
Adiponectin 39.3 5.5-26.0
HDL 62 >40 mg/dL
LDL 76 40-130 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 145 <200 mg/dL

Metabolic Syndrome Traits 2
Estimated Average Glucose 108 <117 mg/dL
Cardio Metabolic Risk Assessment Low
HOMA-IR 2.1 <3.0
Type 2 Diabetes Risk Assessment Low
Non-HDL Cholesterol 83 <160 mg/dL

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Bad CT Scan but good blood work - After One Year

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm

My two pence.
Your Homocysteine is high probably due to too much animal protein or not enough b vitamins.
Increase magnesium and K2 plus sunlight(d3) to move the calcium to the bones.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 am

t05 wrote:Started Linus Pauling therapy in May of 2018.

..Doesn't seem to be working, right?

Though I hope it is not the case with you, but we had reports of Pauling's recommendations not working, by mistaking Dr. Rath's much lower recommendations for Pauling's. But most often it is not known that Pauling recommended very comprehensive supplementation and life-style changes already just to maintain good health, as in his 1986 book:

How to Live Longer and Feel Better

• Take vitamin C every day, 6 grams to 18 g (6000 to 18,000 milligrams), or more. Do not miss a single day.
  • Take vitamin E every day, 400 IU, 800 IU, or 1600 IU.
  • Take one or two Super-B tablets every day, to provide good amounts of the B-vitamins.
  • Take 25,000 IU vitamin A tablet every day.
  • Take a mineral supplement every day, such as one tablet of the Bronson vitamin-mineral formula, which provides 100 mg of calcium, 18 mg of iron, 0.15 mg of iodine, 1 mg of copper, 25 mg of magnesium, 3 mg of manganese, 15 mg of zinc, 0.015 mg of molybdenum, 0.015 mg of chromium, and 0.015 mg of selenium.
  • Keep your intake of ordinary sugar (sucrose, raw sugar, brown sugar, honey) to 50 pounds per year, which is half the present U.S. average. Do not add sugar to tea or coffee. Do not eat high-sugar foods. Avoid sweet desserts. Do not drink soft drink.
  • Except for avoiding sugar, eat what you like - but not too much of any one food. Eggs and meat are good foods. Also you should eat some vegetables and fruits. Do not eat so much food as to become obese.
  • Drink plenty of water every day.
  • Keep active; take some exercise. Do not at any time exert yourself physically to an extent far beyond what you are accustomed to.
  • Drink alcoholic beverages only in moderation.
  • Do not smoke cigarettes.
  • Avoid stress. Work at a job that you like. Be happy with your family.

With a fasting glucose of 107 (optimal 80-90) or a HOMA-IR of 2.1 (optimal ≤1.2) you certainly do have some insulin resistance. What is your usual resting blood pressure? Did you have hormones evaluated too? (thyroid, androgen and adrenal hormones)

t05

Post Number:#4  Post by t05 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:12 am

I haven't had thyroid or androgen and adrenal hormones tested. Will try to do that today. Yes, I am following the Pauling protocol.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am

t05 wrote:Yes, I am following the Pauling protocol.

Just by coincidence found you also posted at cureality. Where you also added the additional information of just having ordered vitamin D3 and iodine. So I don't really understand how you could say you followed Pauling's protocol, if you haven't used any iodine before (and probably many more essential nutrients you didn't thought essential to Pauling's recommendations). Though Linus Pauling clearly recommended a multi-mineral with iodine just to maintain good health. How much more advisable to have it added already yesterday with such serious increases in CAC score?

Did the calculation for yearly increase during those 4 years:

534*1,367=
729,978*1,367=
997,879926*1,367=
1.364,10185884*1,367=

So about 36,7% yearly increase in CAC score. Which is pretty normal considering the usual yearly increase of CAC score is around 30%. Even with statin therapy. With deceleration to less than 15% per year Dr. Davis clinical experience has shown almost no adversarial cardiac events occurs.

One other thing very important to understand is bio-chemical individuality, Linus Pauling talks about in his book - which I really recommend you to read (since it appears you haven't). Therefore the triple different dose recommendation for ascorbic acid or vitamin E. Simply because each individual has different metabolism, exposures, etc.. which necessitates different doses adjusted accordingly. Also Dr. Davis follows this individualized approach by making extensive use of lab-tests.

For example highly doubt Pauling's highest 18 g/d vitamin C recommendation would have helped me. However, I did have the advantage of having a condition where I could daily measure my improvement or worsening by symptoms (a walking-disability from PAD due to a 80% stenosis at my abdominal aorta; at worse only a 3-400 meter pain-free walking distance) and thereby found I needed still higher daily doses for improvements.

In your serious case I would at least titrate to bowel-tolerance to find a more individualized dose of pure ascorbic acid necessary for you. And really get up to speed with what Pauling really recommended.

Additionally nutrients which since Pauling's times has been found to highly help to decelerate CAC score increase. Like vitamin D3 according to serum levels, a really good dose of Omega-3, CoQ10 and vitamin K2, much higher intake of magnesium and iodine (in some cases). And preformed vitamin A, if lacking (up to 50% of the population can't metabolize Beta-carotene to preformed vitamin A. Additionally, about 51% of the population in the US - the country with one of the highest per capita meat consumption - are estimated to still get less than the ridiculously low RDA of vitamin A).

t05

Post Number:#6  Post by t05 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 pm

A multiple vitamin isn't going to keep a calcium score going from 500 to 1865. However, I have been taking a multiple vitamin with iodine (didn't know it had it in it). I did read two of Pauling's books.
Thanks for your other recommendations. I will research your suggestions.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Sun May 19, 2019 7:15 am

t05 wrote:A multiple vitamin isn't going to keep a calcium score going from 500 to 1865.

On the contrary, with an increasing CAC score, even the slightest mistake has huge impact. That's why an actual decrease is so rare. Glad you read Pauling's books.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Sun May 26, 2019 7:13 am

Appreciate pamojja's analysis. Coming to this late,

Started on Dr. Esselstyn diet - vegan with no oil for 18 months.
Triglycerides way too high. Switched to very low or no saturated fat. Lean meats. Triglycerides came way down
Started Linus Pauling therapy in May of 2018.

Bloodwork always good. Most current is posted below.

Any thoughts on why calcium score increasing so fast? How worried should I be? Doesn't seem to be working, right?

Your blood work looks good, so the specific problem is calcium increasing detected by something like a Fast-CT scan, correct?

From the post, I couldn't tell much vitamin K you take on a regular basis (and what heart medications you are taking.) We have known from early on that while the Pauling Therapy works quickly for ordinary atheroslerosis, it does not seem to have the same therapeutic effect when the arteries are hardened by calcium, a condition that used to be called "arteriolsclerosis." The addition of vitamin K (we often recommend 1 Super-K daily from Life Extension) empirically reverses the calcium, based on the information in this forum topic: Reasons for Adding Vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy https://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11891

The "rat-poison" drugs, such as warfarin, are known to create rapid calcification of soft tissues. (A simple medline search can easily find 200 studies that show this.) These drugs block vitamin K (to reduce clotting, but they also lead to calcium build-up.) I would not be at all surprised to learn that you have been put on a drug that is creating your calcium problem.

Are you taking vitamin K and are you on heart medications?

By the way, high triglycerides in the blood are caused by eating carbohydrates, not from eating fats.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”