Vitamin C to reduce cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Frank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitamin C to reduce cholesterol

Post Number:#1  Post by Frank » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:36 pm

My wife just received her blood test results with cholesterol at 7.9mmol/L (304). She was also, promptly given a script for Lipitor.

I convinced her to delay taking the Lipitor until she can try using Vit C to reduce her cholesterol. I do believe that it works because of what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, but also because my cholesterol level has dropped since I've been taking Vit C.

The only question at this stage is how long does it take to fall significanly?
Thanks

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin C to reduce cholesterol

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:37 am

Some people faster than others, but it seems to work more gradually than a drug. It is dosage dependent, so if she is able to take 10,000 mg daily, she will see the effect sooner than if she only takes 5,000 mg daily. Why not start her on the 500 mg every 4 hours and work from there?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Frank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Frank » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:14 am

It is awkward taking Vit C every 4 hours. She is starting gradually. 1000mg in the morning only for a few days. Then add another 1000mg in the evening for a few days. Then add 1000mg at lunch time for a few days. Then double up the morning dose for a few days etc etc. That will get to 6000mg per day in a little while. If she doesn't reach bowel tolerance then introduce another dose before bedtime. This will get to 8000mg per day. She needs to take it slowly because she tried taking Vit C before (about a year ago) and she took about 6000mg on the first day and got a cold straight away. She doesn't get colds often so concluded that Vit C causes colds and stopped taking it. I don't want this to happen again.

This time she is taking it for the specific purpose of reducing cholesterol. The reason for my question as to how long should it take to noticeably reduce the cholesterol was to know when to do the next blood test to see if there is a result. The doctor told her to go back for a blood test in 2 months for another blood test taking Lipitor.

My next obvious question is, if she continues to take the Vit C instead of the Lipitor for the next 2 months, and then takes the blood test, should we see some result in reduction of cholesterol?
Thanks

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 am

She might even see an increase, but perhaps not as long as two months. (We speculate that this early increase is cholesterol that is being dissolved from the arterial walls.) You might consider a home cholesterol monitor. For maybe $1/day, she can take her readings daily and watch how she reacts to vitamin C and various foods.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Frank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by Frank » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 am

Thank you Owen.
Just ordered a cholesterol monitor. We'll get it only at the end of the month.
When we get some meaningful results I'll post them.
Thanks again.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by Ralph Lotz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 am

The easiest and most effective way to lower cholesterol is to eliminate sucrose, because it is broken down to both glucose and fructose in the body. Fructose is the culprit. This of course would make high fructose corn sweetener something to be avoided as well.

Here is an excerpt from a paper by Linus Pauling. This experiment also appears in HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER.

Two hundred years ago practically no one got any sugar. And the intake—you still get small amounts in fruit and honey—measured up to 15‑20 lbs per year. The average in the U.S. is now over 100 lbs per year. It's 110‑120 lbs in England, and Holland, and some other countries. This is an unnatural situation, to ingest so much sucrose—and it is harmful. A study was made by Milton Winitz, a biochemist, in the state correctional institution at Vacaville. He got 18 volunteers in a locked ward and fed them a small‑molecule diet consisting of 17 amino acids, a small amount of essential fat, all of the vitamins in the recommended daily amounts, and all of the essential minerals, and glucose as the only carbohydrate. He measured 26 clinical characteristics and found that they all stayed the same when the prisoners went from the prison diet over to this chemically determined diet—except one. The serum cholesterol dropped from 207 milligrams per deciliter average to 155 average within a month. Within a week it was down half way. After a few months the patients complained about the taste of the food, so Winitz replaced a quarter of the glucose with sucrose—with everything else the same—and the serum cholesterol went back up to the original level. It's the sucrose—not the carbohydrate—that's the culprit.

Good Nutrition for the Good Life
by LINUS PAULING
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/Nutrition.htm

"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”