Vitamin C Pills Protect the Heart

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin C Pills Protect the Heart

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 am

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=147325
Vitamin C Pills May Protect the Heart

This is not a new study, but it is good that it is getting some press (Islamabad?).

The new findings, which are published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, are based on a study of 85,118 women. At the beginning of the study, the women were surveyed about vitamin use and the foods they ate. They were then followed for 16 years to see if they developed heart problems.

During the study period, 1356 women developed heart disease, lead author Dr. Stavroula K. Osganian, from The Children’s Hospital in Boston, and colleagues note.

After taking into account the women’s age, whether they smoked, and other factors, the researchers found that the risk of heart disease dropped as vitamin C intake increased. Women who used vitamin C pills were 28% less likely to develop heart disease than women who didn’t.

However, there appeared to be little benefit from consuming foods rich in vitamin C without also using supplements, the researchers point out. When vitamin C supplements were not used, the amount of vitamin C consumed in foods had little effect on whether heart disease occurred.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Steve Brown
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Vitamin C Pills Protect the Heart

Post Number:#2  Post by Steve Brown » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Vitamin C powder protects the heart too.

:mrgreen:

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:07 am

Okay, vitamin C supplements. The interesting point is that the findings are contrary to ordinary medical advice that you can get the vitamins you require from the food. In this study, only supplements provided the 28% protection.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#4  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 am

I remember 25 years ago being told by a doctor fresh out from med school that "you can get all of your vitamins from food." That was 25 years ago. Two years ago, another doctor fresh out from med school told me the same thing, "you can get all of your vitamins from your food." So the medical profession is still chanting the same mantra decades later. Amazing.

Steve Brown
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by Steve Brown » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 pm

J.Lilinoe wrote:I remember 25 years ago being told by a doctor fresh out from med school that "you can get all of your vitamins from food." That was 25 years ago. Two years ago, another doctor fresh out from med school told me the same thing, "you can get all of your vitamins from your food." So the medical profession is still chanting the same mantra decades later. Amazing.

A friend of mine who is a retired physician told me she was taught in medical school that we can get all the vitamins we need from food. I asked her if she takes vitamin supplements, and she named several, including vitamin C, 1000 mg per day, plus B complex with vitamin C.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”