Recent blood tests

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recent blood tests

Post Number:#1  Post by scottbushey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:57 am

9/25/09

Cholesterol 214 H 0 200 mg/dl Fin
Triglyceride 189 H 40 160 mg/dl Fin
HDL Cholesterol 31 L >39 mg/dl Fin
LDL Cholesterol 145 H 60 130 mg/dl Fin
TC:HDL Ratio 6.9 H 0 5.1 Fin

Today 12/18

Component Value Flag Low High Units Status
Cholesterol 285 H 0 200 mg/dl Fin
Triglyceride 215 H 40 160 mg/dl Fin
HDL Cholesterol 34 L >39 mg/dl Fin
LDL Cholesterol 208 H 60 130 mg/dl Fin
TC:HDL Ratio 8.4 H 0 5.1 Fin

CRP

CRP, High Sensitivity 3.20 <5.0

As previously mentioned, I am typically taking 15-18 grams vitamin c daily. I have been on this regimen for the last 6 months; I'm a little concerned.........

Suggestions?

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Recent blood tests

Post Number:#2  Post by Ralph Lotz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:25 am

1) Reduce carbs in the diet, especially sugar and fructose and HFCS.

2) Supplement with inositol hexaniacinate:

Inositol Hexaniacinate: A Safer Alternative to Niacin

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/su ... 1.110.9603

Dosages as high as 5 grams daily should be safe.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by scottbushey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52 am

Ralph,
Thanks for your reply;

I have eliminated most sugars from my diet. My carb intake is average. I'm at a loss

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:09 am

What is your Lipoprotein(a)?

My triglycerides went down by half, which seems to be mainly an effect of fishoil (2.4 gram EPA/DHA per day). I prefer pure crystaline Niacin. Though the flush with very small amounts was very strong in my case, slowly increasing, now I can take upto 4 grams daily hardly feeling anything of a flush.

For some the elimination of every wheat seems essential too.

kind regards..

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Scott
A quick question!
Prior to starting your High V-c Were you taking statins?
The reason I'm asking is people who take statins and drop off them and go to V-c will go through a period of adjustment. As the body repairs the damage the statins did.
You didn't show it here but did your glucose spike also?
Did they do a Anion Gap?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by scottbushey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Prior to starting your High V-c Were you taking statins?
The reason I'm asking is people who take statins and drop off them and go to V-c will go through a period of adjustment. As the body repairs the damage the statins did.
You didn't show it here but did your glucose spike also?
Did they do a Anion Gap?

NO
No spike in glucose
No on the Anion Gap.....

~John,
I was given a bottle of Crestor yesterday; I am at a loss here.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:28 am

Would you consider a "second opinion?" I would be interested in what a VAP test (atherotech.com) reveals. The VAP would also include measured Lp(a) numbers, divided into various weights.

If these cholesterol scores are accurate, then there is something quite unusual going on with you, and I would be interested in helping you track it down.

But I am suspicious of the numbers (does the lab name start with the letter "Q"?)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by scottbushey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:05 am

Hi Owen,
Thanks for the response.

No, the lab is not 'Q'.

My take on the Pauling therapy is that Cholesterol is not the issue per se. Cholesterol is actually our friend! Cholesterol, when high is the result of inflammation. This inflammation is caused by a number of things but mainly because of a sub clinical scurvy or a lack of Vitamin C. Cholesterol sticking to the inflamed artery is the body's response to correct the deficit-much like skinning your knee. It's not a food issue or diet issue; If I remember correctly, Pauling mentioned that we should eat whatever we enjoy sans the sugar. If we take in enough Vitamin C w/ Lysine, i.e. The Pauling Therapy, the inflammation should cease and the residual cholesterol should not be able to stick to the arterial walls. In fact, if the Inflammation stays, the lysine approach should counteract the cholesterols ability to attach to the inflamed artery.

Here's what I take everyday:
Tower formula 1 scoop 5 times a day. In addition to that, in between the hours I take Tower, I supplement 1000 mg Vitamin C capsules so as to get at least 1000 mg hourly. I follow the dynamic flow principle throughout the day. My last dosing is around 8-9 pm.
1 Multi Vitamin-Whole Foods Brand
2 Omega 3/DHA Fish Oil caps http://dan.xtend-life.com/product/Omega ... h_Oil.aspx
1 Tab 400 Mag Oxide2 100 mg CoQ10 caps NSI Brand
1 Vitamin D1 5000 IU
Acetabutolol 200 mg BID
Norvasc 5 mg daily
Protonix 20 mg bid
*I was told to take a low dose ASA; I have this on hold.

I would be willing to send off a specimen.....

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by Johnwen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:22 am

Scott
Skip the Crestor!!
Start with 500 Mg. Niacin at bed time.
You'll sleep through the flush.
If it wakes you up a baby asprin for about 4 or 5 days with the niacin will get you over the hump and your body gets use to it you don't even know your taking it.
I take 2 for a total of 1 gram. Did the 500 for 2 months and only had soso up it to 1000 and on 11/5/09
LDL 113
trig 145
HDL 40
Total 180
An that expensive CQ10 is not being sucked out of my body! :lol:
research!

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by scottbushey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am

John,
Thanks for your reply.

Here's the thing; Is elevated Cholesterol a Vitamin C deficiency or isn't it?

Kind regards,

Scott

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by Johnwen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Scott
It could be a low vitamin D situation with winter upon us people aren't getting the sun to produce the vitamin d naturally and the lipids are what collect the v-d from the skin. So the body can't produce sunlight but it can send more collectors to the skin. Don't forget your Cholesterol don't just jump up and down overnight but rather takes a month or two to adjust itself and it tends to err on the high side. In reality your numbers ain't all that bad but like owen said a closer breakdown will give a much better idea if there is a problem on the horizan.
research!

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by scottbushey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:26 pm

John,
In regards to the Vitamin D deficiency, I am taking 400 IU daily. I live in the Sunshine State-not that I'm in the sun a lot.

Thanks for the input!

SPB

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 am

scottbushey wrote:Hi Owen,
Thanks for the response.

No, the lab is not 'Q'.

My take on the Pauling therapy is that Cholesterol is not the issue per se. Cholesterol is actually our friend! Cholesterol, when high is the result of inflammation. This inflammation is caused by a number of things but mainly because of a sub clinical scurvy or a lack of Vitamin C. Cholesterol sticking to the inflamed artery is the body's response to correct the deficit-much like skinning your knee. It's not a food issue or diet issue; If I remember correctly, Pauling mentioned that we should eat whatever we enjoy sans the sugar. If we take in enough Vitamin C w/ Lysine, i.e. The Pauling Therapy, the inflammation should cease and the residual cholesterol should not be able to stick to the arterial walls. In fact, if the Inflammation stays, the lysine approach should counteract the cholesterols ability to attach to the inflamed artery.

Here's what I take everyday:
Tower formula 1 scoop 5 times a day. In addition to that, in between the hours I take Tower, I supplement 1000 mg Vitamin C capsules so as to get at least 1000 mg hourly. I follow the dynamic flow principle throughout the day. My last dosing is around 8-9 pm.
1 Multi Vitamin-Whole Foods Brand
2 Omega 3/DHA Fish Oil caps http://dan.xtend-life.com/product/Omega ... h_Oil.aspx
1 Tab 400 Mag Oxide2 100 mg CoQ10 caps NSI Brand
1 Vitamin D1 5000 IU
Acetabutolol 200 mg BID
Norvasc 5 mg daily
Protonix 20 mg bid
*I was told to take a low dose ASA; I have this on hold.

I would be willing to send off a specimen.....

Well, then maybe the results are valid. I share your view on cholesterol, but the question is why do you need more vitamin C after increasing by so much? (I have seen cholesterol in the blood increase after starting the therapy as the plaques dissolve, but six months seems like quite a long time for that effect.)

Have you ever tried to determine you bowel tolerance using Cathcart's protocol? http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm Just to determine your ball park. The so-called rebound effect is an enzyme reaction, and I suppose there is a possibility that your metabolism kicks into high gear and converts more vitamin C into other substances than "normal" meaning you might require more (paradoxically, even though you are taking a lot). The Cathcart bowel tolerance will tell you whether you still need to increase vitamin C.

Now the vitamin D3 idea may have merit, although under my theory you would have to get sick for your vitamin C reserves to be depleted. Is that vitamin D1 a prescription??
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

scottbushey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by scottbushey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Owen,
Thanks for your interest and replies. Correction D3, not D1.

When you say that you share my view on cholesterol, is this view theory or fact. I thought Pauling worked this out chemically and molecularly??? Apparently, the board has varying views-I see the inconsistencies as suspect. Foergive me as I am a nurse and sometimes my thinking is fixed.

In regards to BT, I thought 20K was my max. However, I asked questions in the past about the accuracy of my outcome that I didn't get a thorough answer to; For instance, is BT determined upon an accumulative effect for the days intake or is it determined on single dosing?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by pamojja » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:15 am

Bowel tolerance is the maximum grams of vit C you can take during a whole day.

However, the final maximum size of this daily bowel tolerance is also determined by how much you can tolerate for a single dose. Since it obvious adds up to different numbers if you're only able to take for example 4, compared to 8 gram with every single dose.

Regards..

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”