Options for people with low vitamin C bowel tolerance

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Options for people with low vitamin C bowel tolerance

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun May 02, 2010 3:46 am

I've listened to your great radio interview. You mentioned some folks can't tolerate Vitamin C doses necessary to reverse heart disease correct? What is the very minimum necessary daily dosage and what can I do if I am one that can't tolerate enough? Thank you.

Flattered that you for took the time to listen. The answer depends on body weight and perhaps other factors (sources of toxicity, e.g. dental work). I once stated that I had not heard of heart disease in anyone taking at least 10,000 mg of vitamin C daily (as ascorbic acid, perhaps with some as sodium ascorbate.) There may be a few exceptions now, but if you can tolerate at least this amount orally (see http://orthomed.com/titrate.htm for instructions on bowel titration) you should be able to utilize the very inexpensive ordinary vitamin C.

Some people, e.g. my brother and father have difficulty with much less, in the case of my father, he could only tolerate 200 mg daily. In these cases, the exiting new development is liposomal vitamin C, which is almost 100% absorbed and almost 100% bioavailable. A product I trust is the Lypo-C from livonlabs.com. The manufacturer estimates that one packet is equivalent to 5 to 10 ordinary grams of vitamin C, so 2 packets daily provides the "minimum" to prevent heart disease without gas and diarrhea.

Here is the protocol I generally recommend to get people started on
the Pauling therapy:
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8026
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Options for people with low vitamin C bowel tolerance

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 am

Thank you very much for the kind and quick reply :).

I went to the livonlabs.com site and read their write up on the C I "think" you recommended at
http://www.livonlabs.com/cgi-bin/start. ... LSC30.html
It doesn't advertise 5 or 10 g of C. Here is the write up:

"Each 0.3 oz. packet of Lypo-SphericT Vitamin C contains 1,000 mg of Vitamin C and 1,000 mg of "essential" phospholipids. It's the most bio-available, anti-aging, health-promoting, easy-to-swallow Vitamins."

Am I confused here?

When I say m manufacturer, I mentally include Dr. Thomas Levy, MD, JD who is a paid consultant for Livon Labs.

Also note the upper left (livonlabs.com) "Vitamin C Experts Now Reveal" e.g. Dr. Hickey: Lipospheric C produces double the blood levels of oral C.

The computation is confusing and difficult.

If you listen to Dr. Levy video (upper right) he claims that 5-6 packets Lypo-C is more clinically effective than 50 g Intravenous C (sodium ascorbate), and that IVC is superior to any other oral form. I think Levy's comparison to commercial IVC is probably the most useful - 1 to 10.

Cathcart estimates that orally AA is twice as effective as oral sodium ascorbate, so without considering loss in the gut, 50 g sodium ascorbate IV is roughly equivalent in antioxidant power to 25g ascorbic acid.

Under these assumptions, 5-6 packets Lypo-C are more effective than 25 g AA, or a conservative ratio of 1 Lypo to 5 AA ratio. (However, we have learned that Lypo-C uses sodium ascorbate, so the ratio could be as low as 1 to 2.5 AA, implying 4 packets daily for the anti-CVD effect)

But there is loss in the gut. Taking into account that at least half of the ordinary C that is taken by mouth degrades (although some AA is absorbed quickly through the stomach) 50 IVC might be equivalent to 50 g oral ascorbic acid, or 100 grams oral sodium ascorbate. Thus, Lypo-C as 100% bioavailable has a ratio of 1 Lypo-C to 10 AA.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

scurvyencounters
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Options for people with low vitamin C bowel tolerance

Post Number:#3  Post by scurvyencounters » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 am

Is there any research or anecdotal data comparing serum ascorbate levels with bowel tolerance?
That might help explain some things. ????
Ron

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”