Statins lower or raise vitamin D?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

bbtri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Statins lower or raise vitamin D?

Post by bbtri » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 am

ofonorow wrote:He goes on to theorize that the effect is probably due to less vitamin D caused by lower cholesterol levels.

That's interesting, on the vitamin d council site a study is cited showing that a statin ( can't remember which one) increased serum vitamin d levels, and that could be behind the reported benefits of statins.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Statins lower or raise vitamin D?

Post by ofonorow » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 am

Split this to not interfere with other discussion of Dr. Gaby's editorial.

Can you provide the link, because on the surface, statins lower cholesterol - which is the building block of vitamin D from sunlight. I cannot imagine how lowering cholesterol would lead to higher vitamin D levels, unless the study was pure misinformation.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

godsilove

Post by godsilove » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 am

ofonorow wrote:Split this to not interfere with other discussion of Dr. Gaby's editorial.

Can you provide the link, because on the surface, statins lower cholesterol - which is the building block of vitamin D from sunlight. I cannot imagine how lowering cholesterol would lead to higher vitamin D levels, unless the study was pure misinformation.

This was discussed briefly a few months ago - I think the thread may have been deleted:
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=20204

bbtri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbtri » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:51 am

Here's the link. Another one showed Zocor had no effect.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19543962

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks, somewhat interesting,
The study group consisted of 91 hyperlipidemic patients.

So the most that can be said is that if you have very high cholesterol, a statin drug may be of some value raising vitamin D, but this is one experiment I would like to see repeated. For all we know, the 11 Turkish authors (why 11?!?) had the statin group stay out in the sunshine for 20 minutes every day. (Sorry to be so cynical).
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”