Can vitamin C lower systolic blood pressure

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

VanCanada

Re: Can vitamin C lower systolic blood pressure

Post by VanCanada » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:39 am

BaronZemo wrote:Have ordered sustained release arginine, see if that works

If I understand the biochemistry correctly, your body will "process" or convert the sustained-release arginine to other substances without producing much, if any, nitric oxide. The nitric oxide production is where your results will come from. By taking sustained release arginine you may be defeating the purpose. (Of course it's worth a try since arginine has such a high safety margin.)

If you don't see results from that then I would suggest the regular arginine at one five gram dose daily. If your blood pressure is still too high for your liking, then up that dose to two doses of five grams each per day.

By taking more than about two grams per dose you are giving yourself a better chance of producing the nitric oxide. Of course eating foods that produce more arginine than average will also help in this whole process.

One of my relatives saw a dramatic decrease in blood pressure within two weeks of starting just arginine supplementation; I think it was six grams daily for her.

BaronZemo, I wish you success.

bbtri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbtri » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:38 am

VanCanada wrote:
If I understand the biochemistry correctly, your body will "process" or convert the sustained-release arginine to other substances without producing much, if any, nitric oxide. The nitric oxide production is where your results will come from. By taking sustained release arginine you may be defeating the purpose. (Of course it's worth a try since arginine has such a high safety margin.)

If you don't see results from that then I would suggest the regular arginine at one five gram dose daily. If your blood pressure is still too high for your liking, then up that dose to two doses of five grams each per day.

By taking more than about two grams per dose you are giving yourself a better chance of producing the nitric oxide. Of course eating foods that produce more arginine than average will also help in this whole process.

One of my relatives saw a dramatic decrease in blood pressure within two weeks of starting just arginine supplementation; I think it was six grams daily for her.

My understanding of the idea behind sustained release arginine is that arginine is rapidly metabolized, so consuming a large dose results in only a short term rise. The NO molecule is short lived, so a steady supply of arginine is needed to produce NO. One trial showed sustained release lowered BP, but others have shown results with high dose 'regular' arginine, as worked for your relative. Six grams is a lot of pills, and the powder has a vile taste.

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post by BaronZemo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:01 am

VanCanada wrote:
BaronZemo wrote:Have ordered sustained release arginine, see if that works

BaronZemo, I wish you success.

I have been taking the sustained release, two 4 gram doses,. daily, .have not noticed any reduction, although dystolic seemed lower, it was irregular, did not really produce consistent results like hbp medicine could.

I will try the regular arginine at two 5 gram doses daily. I would prefer that because the sustained release is just as expensive as bhp medicine and must be ordered over internet

Schigara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Schigara » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 am

bbtri wrote:
Maybe you should consider using magnesium citrate instead of magnesium oxide. The oxide form is not absorbed.

Thanks bbtri,

I just picked up some magnesium citrate liquid from Walgreens for $1.99 for 10oz bottle and threw away the magnesium oxide pills. Very good value considering 1 teaspoon contains 400mg and the bottle contains 17,450mg. Should last almost 44 days for one person.

I am guessing the RDA of 400mg Magnesium is a proper amount? Afterall, the RDA of vitamin C is just a bit low....eheh!

bbtri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbtri » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 am

Schigara wrote:I am guessing the RDA of 400mg Magnesium is a proper amount? Afterall, the RDA of vitamin C is just a bit low....eheh!

That's one recommendation I've heard. I get about 350 between 1 mag pill, my multi mineral and a multivitamin. My diet is pretty good in magnesium.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”