Doctor suggests stopping Q10 to statin patient

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Doctor suggests stopping Q10 to statin patient

Post Number:#1  Post by majkinetor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I want to share here something my mother in law was advised by her doctor. The woman had a stroke few years ago. It was a miracle she survived. Age 55.
2 years later she had discus hernia operation.

She is prescribed the following after that:
    - Milgamma (B1 40mg, B6 90mg, B12 as cianocobalamin 0.25mcg)
    - Cholipam (simvastatin)
    - Presolol (beta-blocker)
    - Cardiopirin (Aspirin 100 mg)
    - Neurontin 300mg (GABApentin)

The problems she has now are neuropathy with severe pain, sleeping problems, memory problems, migrenes.

Now, I told her to take CoQ10 with that simvastatin (she is taking only 30-60mg/day LET tech), I also get her some Vitamin C which she takes 5-10g / day in 1-2 doses (to prevent stomach bleeding due to every day Aspirin usage.

I was also thinking about Alpha Lipoic Acid for severe polyneurology pain (she is in the process of replacing few amalgam fillings she has).

She is cared by professor doctor which has 300 published papers and bunch of work behind him, currently he is head of neurology institute in Belgrade.

The doctor said to her this:
- Don't take CoQ10 - you are hypersensitive and it will increase pain.
- Don't take ALA - its for diabetics and it will not help you.

I wonder what do you think about those suggestions ? I never heard that CoQ10 can increase pain before. Also ALA is not for diabetics, it just happens that diabetics have polyneuropathy more often then other people.

This is her diagnosis and latest prescriptions:
Diagnosis
    Neuropathy pain, Depressio, Radiculopathia cervicalis , Hypertensio art., Status post infarctus cerebri reg. parietalis sin., Status post oerationem disc. herniam C5-C6.
Therapy
    Amitriptylin tbl 25mg, 3 tabs / day
    Tegretol CR 400 mg 2x1/2 /day,
    Cardiopirin 100mg 1/day after lunch,
    Presolol 50mg 2x1/2 tbl.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Doctor suggests stopping Q10 to statin patient

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 am

Obviously the good doctor is uninformed about CoQ10, and what its purpose is in the human body and what these drugs do to hinder normal endogenous production. It takes a certain amount of education to come up to speed. (He cannot be educated over night, and he sounds like a busy man.)

From your description, many or most of her symptoms are because the drugs are making her deficient in CoQ10! (This could be proven with a blood test, but these tests are not cheap!) It makes much more sense for her, as insurance, to pay less money to simply take CoQ10 (perhaps 1/2 as ubiquinol), at least 200 mg, but I would probably recommend 600 mg daily. Should be taken/eaten with or after eating fats, as bile is required in the GI tract for digestion. This should REDUCE not increase her muscle pain.

The ALA is less important (unless she is diabetic) but will help the body better utilize vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by Johnwen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 am

The problems she has now are neuropathy with severe pain, sleeping problems, memory problems, migrenes.

Presolol 50mg 2x1/2 tbl.

Presolol is a nasty Beta Blocker works good on some people most have a lot of problems with it.
Your list sounds just like the side effects listed by the manufactures of it.
Metoprolol succinate would be a much better choice. Lot less known side effects and is usually used as a first line Beta-Blocker.
As far as Q10 I agree with Owen a 100%
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

VanCanada

Post Number:#4  Post by VanCanada » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:43 pm

ofonorow wrote:The ALA is less important (unless she is diabetic) but will help the body better utilize vitamin C.
Andrew Hall Cutler wrote:If they're human, they have no business taking alpha lipoic acid unless chelating and on a chelation protocol except when they are in a situation where it is a proper treatment for urgent or emergent health problems that will lead to permanent and irreversible morbidity, or to mortality...

It is not ethical to use ALA routinely other than as a chelator. It is not ethical for people to practice as health care providers who can't understand why when it has been spelled out for them.
-Two excerpts from the complete Cutler post found at: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8417&start=105
In addition, no alpha lipoic acid should be taken until at least 3 months after all amalgam fillings have been removed. See the book Amalgam Illness for more details. 'majkinetor', best wishes to you and your family.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 am

Van Canada - I believe, per usual, that your refrain about ALA is wrong and this business about "being human" is dogmatic and bad advice. By the way, are you a doctor? Where and how have you been educated? Have your patients not responded to ALA? Do you personally know people who have had problems with ALA? What do we know about you?

p.s. if Mr. Cutler wants to join and debate, that would be wonderful!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”