Niacin- NIASPAN study halted increase in Ischemic stroke.

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

freeform

Re: Niacin- NIASPAN study halted increase in Ischemic stroke.

Post Number:#16  Post by freeform » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am

Jk- I don't blame you for wanting to have all the exit doors covered. I sincerely wish you health in your journey. if I didn't have such a reaction to them I would have probably made the same decision as you trying to eliminate the what if?
Good luck, and I hope we both have many years of banter left on this forum :wink: whether poor Owen, Johnwen etc will survive it is another matter :lol:

jknosplr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#17  Post by jknosplr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 am

Freeform
Speaking with my doc the other day, he also read these articles plus. My question was does this include all forms of Niacin i.e Slo-Niacin or is Niaspan the only name brand product that this study identified. Perhaps there is some constituent in the Niaspan that increase ischemic stroke that is not in other brands of Niacin???.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#18  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 am

According to the links provided, the increase in stroke was 0.7% to 1.6%.
The DSMB also noted "a small and unexplained increase" in ischemic stroke rates in the Niaspan group. During the 32-month follow-up period, there were 28 strokes (1.6 %) reported during the trial among participants taking the Abbott drug versus 12 strokes (0.7 %) in the control group. However, the NIH stresses that "previous studies do not suggest that stroke is a potential complication of niacin, and it remains unclear whether this trend in AIM-HIGH arose by chance".

The means to reduce ischemic stroke is known - increase consumption of vitamin C.

I don't see how this was a test of niacin anyway - since both groups were given Crestor...
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”