New Report: Risks of Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

New Report: Risks of Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 am

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3099207

This does not imply that I play Russian roulette with my life. But I'm skeptical of research that I believe exaggerates the benefits of CLDs. Statistics can always be manipulated to show great results.

Besides, I'm not the only one that questions the use of CLDs. Dr. Ikas Sukhatme, Professor of Medicine at The Harvard Medical School, developed leg pain while taking a CLD. This prompted him to discover a gene called atrogen-1 which triggers the breakdown of proteins in muscle tissue. He also showed that the higher the dose, the greater the destruction of muscle tissue.

Another researcher, Dr. Annette Draeger, of the University of Berne, Switzerland, obtained biopsies of CLD patients complaining of muscle pain. Significant muscle injury was shown in 57% of patients.

These findings always confuse me in the context of statins being good for CVD. Isn't the heart a muscle?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jknosplr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: New Report: Risks of Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs

Post Number:#2  Post by jknosplr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 pm

It most certainly is a Muscle but its not a skeletal muscle there are two types of enzymes tested Troponin for the injured heart and creatine kinase is found in injured skeletal muscle.
I can attest to this for a fact due weight lifting which will in crease the creatine kinase due to muscle break down. At one time I was experiencing chest pain and after test in the emergency room it was determined NOT to be MI but skeletal muscle damage.
How ever doctors say its not the same type of muscle, I wondered why doctors started to recommend Q10 along with statins if some muscle fatigue is not occurring. :?

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by Johnwen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm

If you got problems with crestor you might want to check out these professionals! :o

http://crestorlegalad.com/index.php?CID ... DID=132738
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

jknosplr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by jknosplr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 am

These findings always confuse me in the context of statins being good for CVD. Isn't the heart a muscle?

O there is more to this

This is a life-threatening condition where a large amount of muscle tissue is destroyed, causing kidney failure. This complication occurs in about one in 10,000 patients. So if muscle pain develops, it should be reported immediately to the doctor.

After the age of 50 muscle is depleted 5% /year, this natural regression of muscle tissue is going to happen any way. 1 in 10000 is not to bad odds. I had muscle pain, back pain, leg pain long before I even tried a statin.
I will concede that liptor I was taking did produce more pain and lameness in my legs. how ever no memory loss that I am aware of or other terminal disease's.
Doctors are doing blood work every couple of months to expose these types of conditions in patients.

The journal Lancet also reports a 2010 study showing that a case of Type 2 diabetes occurs for every 255 people who take CLDs for four years.

Can any one figure for certain how many of this test group would of got Type 2 diabetes with out taking statins???

CLDs had 22 fewer deaths from cardiovascular disease, but 24 more deaths from cancer, hardly a good exchange.

My father died of cancer in 1975 and never seen a statin. Again how many people were going to contract cancer any way? I just read one post where the gent passed on, stomach cancer never took statins.??

These reports are interpreted by the "publisher" then construed in the format which behooves his position or agenda. The pro statin side publishes its study data, then is picked apart by the non statin group. As in all verbal publishing's, somewhere in the middle is the truth.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am

I agree that there are two kinds of muscle, but both types require the ATP reaction in the mitochondria for energy. Therefore, both types require CoQ10, and therefore depleting CoQ10 must reduce the energy content/output of all muscles, including the heart.

What you seem to believe is that statins only "break down" skeletal muscle, and that the product of this breakdown causes problems with the kidneys.

I submit that the tri-fold increase in heart failure since statins became popular indicates that statins do have a detrimental effect on heart muscle too. It must be hard for doctors to notice this because heart patients are already having chest pains, etc.

And no one has claimed that statins are the only cause of cancer!? (Only that in experimental animals, the incidence of cancer increases in the group given statins. My personal theory is that lower cholesterol in the blood leads to conditions that promote cancer, e.g. high levels of toxins. )
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by Johnwen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Site requires reg. to access so heres the leader for the post.

June 8, 2011 (Silver Spring, Maryland) — The Food and Drug Administration is recommending that physicians restrict prescribing high-dose simvastatin (Zocor, Merck) to patients, given an increased risk of muscle damage [1]. The new FDA drug safety communication, issued today, states that physicians should limit using the 80-mg dose unless the patient has already been taking the drug for 12 months and there is no evidence of myopathy.

"Simvastatin 80 mg should not be started in new patients, including patients already taking lower doses of the drug," the agency states.

In addition, the FDA is requesting that additional changes be made to the drug's label. The label will be changed to include the new dosing recommendations, as well as warnings not to use the drug with various medications, including itraconazole (Sporanox, Jannsen Pharmaceutica), ketoconazole (Nizoral by Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical), posaconazole (Noxafil, Merck), erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin (Ketek, Sanofi-Aventis), HIV protease inhibitors, nefazodone, gemfibrozil, cyclosporine, and danazol.

In addition, the 10-mg dose should not be exceeded in patients taking amiodarone, verapamil, and diltiazem, and the 20-mg dose should not be exceeded with amlodipine (Norvasc, Pfizer) and ranolazine (Ranexa, Gilead).

The changes to the label are based on the Study of the Effectiveness of Additional Reductions in Cholesterol and Homocysteine (SEARCH), a study reported by heartwire . In that trial, 52 patients taking the 80-mg dose developed myopathy compared with one patient treated with the 20-mg dose. In addition, 22 patients treated with the high dose of simvastatin developed rhabdomyolysis compared with none treated with the 20-mg dose.

The FDA notes that the risks of myopathy and rhabdomyolysis were highest in the first year and that older age and female sex increased the risks.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

jknosplr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by jknosplr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:12 am

n addition, 22 patients treated with the high dose of simvastatin developed rhabdomyolysis compared with none treated with the 20-mg dose.

lower dosing appears to have minimalism side effects.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 am

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/health/new-report-risks-of-cholesterol-drugs-56156.html
Risks of Cholesterol Drugs

Nice article by Linus Pauling friend W. GIfford-Jones.

This does not imply that I play Russian roulette with my life. But I am skeptical of research that I believe exaggerates the benefits of CLDs. Statistics can always be manipulated to show great results.

Besides, I’m not the only one that questions the use of CLDs. Dr. Ikas Sukhatme, professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, developed leg pain while taking a CLD. This prompted him to discover a gene called atrogen-1, which triggers the breakdown of proteins in muscle tissue. He also showed that the higher the dose of the CLD, the greater the destruction of muscle tissue.

Another researcher, Dr. Annette Draeger, of the University of Berne, Switzerland, obtained biopsies of CLD patients complaining of muscle pain. Significant muscle injury was shown in 57 percent of these patients.

Other researchers are concerned that by lowering blood cholesterol, patients may be substituting one devil for another. For instance, in one study, those taking CLDs had 22 fewer deaths from cardiovascular disease, but 24 more deaths from cancer, hardly a good exchange.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#9  Post by Dolev » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am

physicians should limit using the 80-mg dose unless the patient has already been taking the drug for 12 months and there is no evidence of myopathy.

How stupid is that? Aren't there people who can withstand the drug for 12 months but not 13?
Dolev

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”