Is folic acid dangerous?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Is folic acid dangerous?

Post by ofonorow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:47 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... erous.html

This article sums up what has been spreading like a virus across the internet now that folic acid is recognized to prevent birth defects. It would be interesting to find and discuss any "science" to support the notion that folic acid is dangerous.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Is folic acid dangerous?

Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 am

Hello. I am receiving Ascorsine 9 on auto ship. I recently read some articles talking about the dangers of overdosing on folic acid. It seems that there is folic acid in the Ascorsine 9 and if I take 4 scoops a day, I
am getting an overdose. FIrst, am I reading the label correctly, and if so, which product would you recommend to me that does NOT have the folic acid.

Thank you. Holly

p.s. > Here is one link that actually references Linus Pauling: Can I Overdose On Folic Acid? @ LIVESTRONG.COM

And here is another: Is Your Breakfast Giving You Cancer? - Prevention.com

There are lots of articles like these. Simply google "folic acid overdose" or "dangers of folic acid." I know it seems odd, but it might be correct. In which case, I would like to try switching to just your basic product with only Vit C and Lysine.

I am going to have my blood re checked at the end of next week. I've > been taking your product for approximately two months, with an > occasional missed dosage. I am anxious to see the results of my blood work. But truly, if I can get the same results with the simpler product, I would prefer to do that.

All my best,

I went to livestrong.com - searched for "folic acid" - nothing came up.

Prevention has been "owned" by the drug companies for a long time - count how many pharmaceutical ads are in every issue.

We know folic acid is an essential nutrient. You must get it to exist. The only question is how much. In my opinion, it is being attacked because it has recently been accepted to prevent birth defects (particularly spina bifida) and it is now recommended that it be taken by the mother during pregnancy. There are unfortunately "evil" forces that seek to "debunk" supplements, and these forces are apparently hard at work attacking folic acid.

So I am looking for scientific references, not some online doctor commenting. Thanks!

p.s. What blood "results" are you looking for? Are you having you Lp(a) measured?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 am

Yes, I'm having Lp (a) measured. It was 15. That is what caused my doctor to recommend Niaspan, which I would not take. I am trying this instead and will get my bloodwork redone next week.

Too much folic acid linked to cancer - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com (Prevention again)

I do know that folic acid is an essential nutrient. And I am sorry if I upset you. I will continue to look for references to this. I want to make sure I am not taking too much.

You didn't upset me. Linking a single essential nutrient to cancer would be quite a feat! I am anxious to read the science!

I think the folic acid misrepresentation is based on economics not science. I've started a forum topic to discuss this supposed danger.

Niaspan is basically vitamin B3 - so you have a good doctor!

Lp(a) may require 12 to 18 months to respond downwards in a blood test.

A blood cholesterol test can vary during the day by 30 points, depending on what you have eaten, etc. (I assume they make you fast to try to get an unbiased reading). We discovered this from people who purchased their own home cholesterol test kits. We have also noted that after beginning the Pauling therapy, blood cholesterol can temporarily rise. We believe this has something to do with dissolving the plaques.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:46 am

Owen,=20

This is great information. Should I wait longer than two months to have my blood cholesterol and Lp(a) rechecked? I'm happy to wait a full year!

The most recent news I've seen is that the Niaspan doesn't work anyway, at least doesn't work to prevent heart attacks. It might reduce the cholesterol, but doesn't seem to reduce the heart attack. So what would be the point!

Do you think I should continue with the Ascorsine 9 or switch to your basic Cardio C?
And how long should I wait before I retest? My doctor will let me do it as often as I like.

You are absolutely right about cholesterol! (Most people don't understand this, so taking vitamin B3 is the least bad way to make them happy, to control cholesterol.)

Can we get more information about you? Age, weight, drugs, cholesterol numbers, current vitamin C intake, etc. (I'll move this topic to heart disease too.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by eDOC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:18 am

Won't agree that 400ug of Folic acid is dangerous in any way.

Have been taking 10mg of Folic acid daily for the last 15 years. My labs are perfect.

Advantages of Folic:

1. Prevents congenital defects.

2. Dermatological benefits......skin, strong nails & prevents hair loss.

3. Prophylactic against Strokes & MIs.

4. Prevents Presenile dementia.

5. Lastly anti cancer too.

My patients have been taking it in the same dosage for years.

For your Lipids Sytrinol would be my personal pick.
Rookie, rusty, sub average doc but one that gives results!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 am

Thank you EDOC! This is also an excellent summary of the evidence from the Linus Pauling institute.

Folate deficiency is a suspected cause of cancer.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/fa/

The only possible negative mentioned is that if you already have cancer, there is a possibility that large doses may increase the rate of tumor growth.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”