Help with Strange Blood Pressure Problem

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help with Strange Blood Pressure Problem

Post Number:#1  Post by sps2010 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 am

Hello,

I am 69 years old with no apparent medical issues, except high cholesterol (which used to control with 2g of Niacin, before I switched to Pauling protocol) and occasional high blood pressure spikes. When I started the protocol , about 2.5 years ago, my cholesterol got a lot better than what I had with Niacin alone (total: 200; HDL= 83: LDL= 99), and the blood started to remain around 115-120/65-70.

Here is what I take:
Ascorbic Acid powder (3.5 g) + Lysine powder (1.75 g) + Proline cap (500mg) : 3 times a day in 2-cups of water;
Niacin 1g/ day;
Now Foods Adam Soft-gel Multi-vit 2 caps/day; Vit E-400 mg;
Mag Glycinate 400X2 mg; B-100 1 cap; B-6 100mg; TMG 1X2 g; MSM 1g; CoQ10 100mg; SuperK (MK7-100mcg;MK41000mcg); Folic acid 1600 mg; Omega 3 comp. 340 mg
Grapeseed Extract 100 mg; Bio Sil (silcon 5mg);

Several months ago, my BP started a strange behavior: Morning = 105-125/ 60-70; then around mid-morning it would go up around 140-145/75-85, later it the afternoon up 160/90 or so.
In the evening it will return to normal values. My physician has done exhaustive diagnosis (like ech0-trdmil, echo-cardio, 24-hour blood pressure monitor etc), all show no signs of any problems. The BP monitor does show the fluctuations as I described.

I am trying to figure out what may be triggering this, carefully examining my supplements, food, caffeine etc. I have added Taurine ( 1g) in the morning along with Vit C +Lysine. Also, for now I took my Doctor's advise and started taking 12.5 mg of Metoprolol, while I investigate the issue.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Surendra

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Help with Strange Blood Pressure Problem

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Metoprolol Which one succinate or tartate??
Kind of important question in regards to your roller coaster ride (Up & Down)
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by sps2010 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 pm

M.Tartrate (immediate release) to get me through the high period. My night time (w/o medication) BP is 90-110/50-65, pulse 60-65. Also, my normal HR is between 72-85 (sometimes goes down to 65), but with Metoprolol, it has gone 60-65 (which worries me).

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:06 am

I'll be interested in johnwen's ideas because your supplement intake seems ideal.

Are you and have you been on any other medications?

The difference depending on time of day reminds me of another issue from long ago, but I'll have to research/refresh my memory.

Are you restricting salt?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by sps2010 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 pm

No medication except this Metoprolol (makes my head cloudy).

All my cooking is India -based, so I know how much salt I am getting and what kind (I use Sea-salt). I use usual amount (24 hr total might be ~ 1 1/2 tea spoon).

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by majkinetor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 pm

I would start 5000 IU vitamin D3 on your place and see how it goes (unless you already do so and didn't report it).

Consider low carb diet.

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by sps2010 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 am

Adam multi provides 1000 IU of D3. Due to high half life of D3, I do not like to take 5000 IU d3 daily, specially in California.

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by majkinetor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am

You should test your levels.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by Johnwen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:30 am

First the metropolo is a beta-blocker which reduces the force the heart pumps with and reduces the pulse rate. Have heard it called a “Chill pill for the heart.” and since it has the capabilities of relaxing the cardiac muscle it also can relax the intima muscle of the arteries which all combined, causes reduced blood pressure. The normal resting range for pulse is 60-100 so in his case of pulse dropping in the low 60’s really isn’t a big issue. Unless he becomes dizzy or passes out or experiences balance problems then corrective action would be needed. Other then these or some other problem arises it would be considered beneficial.
My thoughts on time related BP problems in a 69 year old male who has probably changed his daily routine sometime in the last 4 or 5 years is, His brain is still working and his body is not. What this means is during the last 40 or so years he has preformed a specific task within a certain time frame and this in it self puts stress’s on the body be it physical or mental. We call this function “WORK!!” or what ever it is we do for financial compensation. Now the person removes himself from this situation and changes this routine which we call “Retired,” at first it’s like having sometime off which was part of the work routine where we plan to do this and that or better known as “Vacation,” once this wears off the body goes back to it’s usual work routine but it’s not doing the work it once did and period of confusion sets in. Confusion of the body causes stress and stress cause BP to rise. Evident here is his comments that his Bp returns to normal in the evening which is where the confusion ends and his evening routine takes over. During his stress period he notices his BP more now then when he was working. Why because he is recognizing the confusion and relating this feeling as a Bp rise which more then likely has been happening for more then 40 years but since he was busy with his job, it never really gave any indicator. I think you can see where I’m going here I could carry this out but what he needs to do is get active with a hobby, book reading or some other function during these period or try to gain a new routine and make this his new JOB. I agree with his doc on his choice of med’s since anything that will cause physical relief. Will aid in diverting his mind to a more constructive subject. I used to get picked on about my old saying but now it’s starting to ring true because of research.
Stay active and stay healthy, Stop and you’ll drop!
Hope this helps! My opinion is based on prior finding’s and may not apply since I have not met or talked to this person. His doc is the best judge.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by sps2010 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:54 am

Hello Johnwen,

Thanks for this rather interesting analysis. I still do work (not retired), but, as you have point out about change in routine, yes it has changed since 3-4 yeas due to personal reasons (loss of wife) and now living alone. An other interesting fact I would like to point out that in summer I go overseas for about a month to stay with relatives. The routine there is not under my control. But when I am there, I never feel this feeling of my BP being high ( I actually I rarely measure it during day time). May be it is may be not.

So, you may have some thing here. I will try to modify my routine and report if it helps.

About Metoprolol: Day time dose is changing my high-low pattern and I am forced to take a second 1/2 tab in the evening on alternate days.I really hope to get off this medication in near future. Never being on medication, it is psychologically hard.

sps2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by sps2010 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

In the thread: Post Lysine and Nitric Oxide (NO), it has been suggested that Lysine may inhibit NO production (of-course person's health, diet, age etc may play a larger role), Could this phenomena cause increase in blood pressure ?

Any comments (or speculation) would be appreciated.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 am

sps2010 wrote:In the thread: Post Lysine and Nitric Oxide (NO), it has been suggested that Lysine may inhibit NO production (of-course person's health, diet, age etc may play a larger role), Could this phenomena cause increase in blood pressure ?

Any comments (or speculation) would be appreciated.

link? I remember the idea that they may compete for absorption - even into cells.

But I doubt lysine inhibits NO production, because there is little else to attribute the 10 days of feeling well after starting the Pauling therapy. The arteries are obviously opening, and NO is as good a guess as any.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”