Severe Cold/Flu After Starting High Vit C

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Severe Cold/Flu After Starting High Vit C

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:38 am

From the email

I started taking the Tower Heart Technology formula (3000 mg vitamin C as ascorbid acid) about four weeks ago. Four days after I started I go the worst cold/flu/... that I have ever had in my life.

Throat burning, whooping cough fits to almost passing out, mucus of gross proportions...the whole works. The doctor put me on a 5 day antibiotic at the middle of the second week. After the third week it finally subsided. But now a week later I am getting symptoms for another cold or whatever. Normally I start in October with about 1000mg of C and continue thru the winter months with 99% success at thwarting flu season.

Now though with 3000mg of C I am sicker then I have ever been. I took the quiz thing on-line and I am at low risk so am on the 1 jar a month, but don\'t know if I should just go back to the 1000mg in pill form or try to stick this out? Have you had anyone else have this kind of problem?
J. B.

My initial response:

My first thought is a) coincidence and b) low vitamin D (D3) or c) missing a vitamin C dose. Put this on your reading list:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrit ... racle.html

Vitamin D3 1000 iu tablets are cheap. I'd recommend 5000 iu of vitamin D3 (in conjunction with vitamin C) on days you don't get at least 15 minutes of sunshine between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Otherise 1000 iu to ward of viral infections. Very important.

Sounds like you may have increased your vitamin C rapidly to 3000 mg from some lower intake. If you then forget a day, or perhaps only take one serving per day at the dose, the enzyme systems that are activated by high vitamin C may over shoot. This is what causes the discontinuation effect. These enzymes actually deplete blood levels of vitamin C if there isn't a new supply being ingested. And your requirement, especially during the cold/flu, increases dramatically, perhaps to between 50,000 and 100,000 mg daily. See

http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

If you have any doubt about the relation of vitamin C to heart disease, that can be dispelled with a single book: STOP AMERICA'S #1 KILLER by Tom Levy http://www.livonbooks.com

My recommendation.

Take bowel tolerance vitamin C, combined with 5000-10000 iu of vitamin D3, while you are fighting a viral infection. We recommend 8000 mg of ascorbic acid every 20 minutes for 2-3 hours to kill the virus in the early stages. See

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/surefire.htm

Take the Heart Technology 2-3 times daily, rather than 1 large dose.

You may decide that you require more C and may wish to add some pure vitamin C powder to your heart technology.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Did Miss A Dose

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 am

He replied

Thank you very much for your response .

As a mater of fact I do remember on the third day (Sunday) I forgot to take the evening dose. It was at 2:00 on the 4th day that I got the sore throat that developed into the horrible flu/cold/walking death. I also had gone from NO vitamin C to the 3000mg.

Someone also noted that I might be mixing the powder WRONG.

I mix about 4 one teaspon single servings at once.

In separate water bottles that I have just finished drinking out of I put one teaspoon of the tower powder, then 5 ounces of water. I cap each bottle, shake them vigorusly and put them in the fridge.

I grab one bottle when I leave for work the next morning, then that evening at supper I have another...but throw those bottles in recycling after drinking the formula. I do this for two or three days depending on how many I make at a time.

I noticed that if I used the Ice Mountain bottles they had a white risidue after drinking. The Aquafina bottles do not have the residue.

Could I be causing problems by using plastic water bottles and letting the formula sit in the bottle for a day or two??

It is just so hard to mix. It seems to stay powdery if I just mix one and try to drink it right away.

I was thinking of just mixing a quick serving in my high speed magic bullet mixer thing but did not know what that kind of action would do to the stability of the 'drugs'.

Could I mix up a couple of days worth in a glass container and just pour myself 5 ounces at a time without hurting the power of the mix, or does sitting around in the water hurt the effectiveness of the powders?

J. B.

>Could I be causing problems by using plastic water bottles and letting the formula sit >in the bottle for a day or two??

Yes, you can expect to lose about 1/2 the vitamin C in roughly 4 hours in water, and while the loss slows down, there is still a loss of more vitamin C over time (Ref: Sherry Lewin: Vitamin C: Its Molecular Biology and Medical Potential, 1976)

I know one man who makes a paste of the HT powder, puts it on the back of his tongue and swallows - avoiding water altogether. What ever you decide, premixing is not a good idea, and you would need at least DOUBLE the vitamin C in the water to get the same effect as not premixing.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

blueskymyne

the antibiotic

Post Number:#3  Post by blueskymyne » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:27 pm

well if it is a virus, which it most likely is then the antibiotic, which only works on bacteria wont effect it.
Im personally not to fond of antibiotics.

Ditto on what owen said about D-3 and sun. As much as possible while sick.

Hopefully you live in the southern states and not the northwest or highly lattitudes. Its the D-3 drops in sun light on skin due to indoor activity and shortened daylight that is highly suspected as the trigger to dormant virus.

The virus is always there yet kept controlled by D-3/hormone from sunlight synthesis.

In the future begin supplementing when changes in the season start such as mid August. Build up your D-3 reserves as much as possible before seasons turn this should carry you a month or so. Virus come out of dormancy in the population early fall up to March like clock work in the northern hemisphere. Has nothing to do with cold weather.

Also.

Hit it with a high dose of "virastop" by enzymedica.com. Great against virus.

Take on an empty stomach to put it to work within minutes in the blood stream breaking down this foriegn virus. Lots of water also to flush the residual garbarge broken down from kidneys and liver. For instuctions go to enzymestuff.com

Enzymes will leave the virus open to destruction for the immune cells. Virus have protective protein coats to evade the immune system. Enzymes break this down.

Avoid sugar, sugar in orange juice is not a good source of vitamin c. sugar in cough drops are not good.
sugar will surpress the immune system 40 percent for 4-5 hours after consumption and block vitamin c uptake in plasma for roughly the same amount of time.

Ive knocked down a full blown raw sore throat by mixing about 4-5 grams of ascorbic acid with bioflavinoid in a slurry with 1/2 cup of non sugared oj. Gargle with it. There is a momentary sting. Id did this twice in one hour and the sore throat was completely gone thereafter. The slurry makes a sticky layer that clings on the thoat. Might work with the other type of vitamin c I dont know in this way, I dont know whether it had something to do with the bioflavinoid type.

Have a good one.

Return to “Toxicity”