Does Vitamin C Harm Teeth?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Does Vitamin C Harm Teeth?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:28 am

From the email
Good day,
I was wondering if you have heard of any problem with the high dosage of vitamin c that is in the Pauling Therapy drinks coming in contact with one's teeth. I've tried taking vitamin c crystals dissolved in water and after a while my teeth started to feel 'different', like maybe the enamel was being affected.
Thank you for your time.
Bob A.

We're approaching our first-year anniversary of this forum, and I remember that this question generated a lot of posting early on.

My response usually is a) ever since I begain taking more than 6000 mg of vitamin C daily, my teeth stopped having dental caries (cavities) and b) if you are worried about the acid you should drink you vitamin C drinks with a straw.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

BimLanders

Post Number:#2  Post by BimLanders » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:00 pm

I haven't been to the dentist since I've started megadosing with C crystals about two months ago, but I do notice that my teeth seem to feel stronger than I ever remember them being. Besides, if ascorbic acid could ruin your teeth, wouldn't citric acid be even worse? I don't remember dentists ever telling me to lay off the oranges...

blueskymyne

teeth

Post Number:#3  Post by blueskymyne » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:28 pm

frankly id be more concerned with stronger acids produced by three types of bacteria that inhabit the mouth and in between teeth when exposed to refined sugar. Not so much with raw sugar.

Use of stevia is a better option to sweetner.

It is a herb that is 200 times sweeter than sugar, no calories, no effect on insulin and doesnt effect teeth.
It is pricey but then a little goes a long way.

Try stevia.net for more info.

Second phosphoric acid in soda is highly erosive combined with refined sugar.

Thrid is mercury amalgams. Nothing breaks down the entire gum and surrounding teeth faster. Not in a corrosive way however. Teeth are porous and living tissue. This mercury leaches into the gum structure as well as its components, nickle, tin and copper. The more you have the faster the degradation.

Sometimes the leaching can be seen, this is called the amalgam tatoo. A black spot on the gum just below the tooth.
Other times the leaching cant be seen from the center of the roots.

Mercury is second in toxicity only to arsenic.

If concerned about vitamin c as a mild acid. Drink with a straw, brush with water only after and rinse well.

Return to “Toxicity”