Pimples from vit C ?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Pimples from vit C ?

Post Number:#1  Post by Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:27 am

I'm taking around 10grams + of asorbic acid for about a month for chronic fatigue but have noticed I'm breaking out in a lot of pimples . Is this normal ?. My diet has not changed .

davids

Re: Pimples from vit C ?

Post Number:#2  Post by davids » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi Guest,

As "grist for your mill," I have been ingesting around 50,000+ milligrams per day of ascorbic acid [in tablet form] for many years [in virtually perfect health], and have never had it cause any "pimples." My guess would be that you are probably having some sort of elimination "reaction." If it were me, I would keep up with the ascorbate [daily], and lessen the amount, if need be. As the elimination, i.e. "pimples," lessened, I would then increase my ascorbate intake [up to "bowel tolerance" http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm daily].

Just my view,

David

Alohamora

Re: Pimples from vit C ?

Post Number:#3  Post by Alohamora » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:47 am

Anonymous wrote:I'm taking around 10grams + of asorbic acid for about a month for chronic fatigue but have noticed I'm breaking out in a lot of pimples . Is this normal ?. My diet has not changed .

FWIW, I'm getting the same thing recently, a patch of pimples at my neck & jawline. I'd been taking 1g of Vit. C for several months, but recently increased to 6 to 8 g a day.

I was wondering if it was the C or some other small change in my diet.

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#4  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:44 am

Breaking out in pimples sounds strange. What kind of brand Vit C are you folks using? Just curious.

Post Number:#5  Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:49 am

I'm using the solgar crystals Asorbic acid and also the same brand of tablets....
http://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk/de ... _acid.html

J.Lilinoe wrote:Breaking out in pimples sounds strange. What kind of brand Vit C are you folks using? Just curious.

Alohamora

Post Number:#6  Post by Alohamora » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:16 pm

Most of what I'm taking is in the form of a Rite Aid tablet, ingred. - Ascorbic Acid, Cellulose, Stearic Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate. Also, finishing up some Ester-C w/ Quercetin capsules from Vitacost.

johnorguest

Post Number:#7  Post by johnorguest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 pm

I have used as much as 60,000 mg a day for a while and only have experienced the best skin I've ever had. If I back off much from 10,000 mg a day I start to get blemishes again. So, guess I'm just the opposite of the two posters here.

Complexion problems are very cyclical, though.

:D

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Experiment

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:05 pm

If it all possible, can the poster try pure ascorbic acid, and then report whether the pimple problem remains.

This would eliminate any reaction to the fillers in the pills that were mentioned. When you begin taking very large dosages, the best way is pure ascorbic acid powder.

As per David's post, if this is a reaction to the ascorbate, then very likely, it is the body "noticing" toxins that weren't noticed before, and I would image that like cold sores, these pimples will clear as the toxins are taken care of.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

hyperascorbemic

Post Number:#9  Post by hyperascorbemic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:51 pm

I have noticed improved skin healing when taking ascorbic acid in large amounts, although at first it did tend to make me break out. This effect went away with time. By regenerating vitamin E and providing the skin with antiinflammatory and collagen-supporting benefits, I imagine vitamin C is of tremendous value to the skin. Keep on your current regimen and switch to plain ascorbic acid as Mr. Fonorow suggests. Let us know how it goes.

If you want a specific supplement regimen that has been very useful in controlling acne for me, feel free to PM me.

blueskymyne

pimples

Post Number:#10  Post by blueskymyne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:25 pm

The IGF-1 hormone in dairy products will elevate sebum considerably. Are you consuming dairy?

IGF-1= increased androgen=increased sebum & rapid keratization=increased surface bacteria=acne infection.

Re: pimples

Post Number:#11  Post by Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:59 pm

blueskymyne wrote:The IGF-1 hormone in dairy products will elevate sebum considerably. Are you consuming dairy?

IGF-1= increased androgen=increased sebum & rapid keratization=increased surface bacteria=acne infection.

Yes I do take a small amount of dairy but did before the pimples .

Alohamora

Post Number:#12  Post by Alohamora » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:13 pm

I eat about a cup of yogurt a day and have been doing so for quite a while, not a recent change.

My pimples are clearing up now, even before I changed from the Vit C tablets. It's possible it was a "toxic elimination" effect, but diet and hormonal fluctuations can't be ruled out either.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#13  Post by Dolev » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:59 pm

Q: Why do most mammals have fur?

A: They make vitamin C in their livers, so they have pimples. :wink:
Dolev

zucic

Post Number:#14  Post by zucic » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:26 am

Dolev wrote:Q: Why do most mammals have fur?
A: They make vitamin C in their livers, so they have pimples.

Chimps have fur too, yet they can't make any ascorbate, like humans.
Humans are the only naked animals unable to synthesize ascorbate.

Return to “Toxicity”