It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) & Erosive Gastritis 
Post Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) & Erosive Gastritis
Last year I was diagnosed with Erosive Gastritis. Moreover, the doctor found no indication of H. Pylori bacteria. A few months after, I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. One of the results of hyperparathyroidism is the excessive production of gastrin which can cause gastritis. Thus I discovered the probable cause of my gastritis. I had surgery to remove the offending parathryroid gland (not to be confused with the thyroid--parathyroid glands regulate calcium levels. I had one parathyroid gland which was producing too much PTH hormone causing my bones to release too much calcium into the blood creating havoc on my body.) I recently began to take Vitamin C and am concerned if the "acid" in ascorbic acid could exacerbate my gastritis. I have noticed occasional burning in my chest when I take Vitamin C and am now concerned about this. Does any one have any ideas or experience with gastritis and Vitamin C? I prefer ascorbic acid to other forms of Vitamin C.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have any experience with your ailment but I have recently started to put a pinch of bakingsoda in my ascorbic acid + water for a less acidic drink. :)

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:10 pm
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Reasons for Burning
Not familiar with your ailment either, and adding Baking Soda a good idea. The reason for the burning is (probably) the acid iritating the bottom of the esophagus. Vitamin C is a weak acid, and it won't make your stomach more acidic.

You can get the benefit of ascorbic acid - without burning, bloating, gas or diarrhea. See http://www.livonlabs.com Lypospheric C, but it is expensive.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]