It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 am




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vitamin Overload 
Author Message
Post Vitamin Overload
Owen,

I have followed your advice on adding Vitamin E to my regimen. I used Unique-E from the Vitamin Shoppe. I am taking 400 mg per day. It does have a beneficial effect on me - improved memory and attention span. However, after a few days it seems to effect my sleep time. I don't seem to be able to sleep much at all. The brain is working overtime all night long. Do you have any solution for this. I am trying only taking it once or twice a week. So far that seems better.

Thanks.
John :D


Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:37 pm
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Posts: 9216
Location: Lisle, IL
Post Re: Vitamin Overload
johnor wrote:
Owen,

I have followed your advice on adding Vitamin E to my regimen. I used Unique-E from the Vitamin Shoppe. I am taking 400 mg per day. It does have a beneficial effect on me - improved memory and attention span. However, after a few days it seems to effect my sleep time. I don't seem to be able to sleep much at all. The brain is working overtime all night long. Do you have any solution for this. I am trying only taking it once or twice a week. So far that seems better.

Thanks.
John :D


Do you mean 400 iu? The recommended dosage is 2000 iu or 5 - 400 iu pills in the a.m.

Inability to sleep is a common side effect of many prescription drugs, especially the statins. Are you on any drugs at this time?

As I have mentioned previously, I read a book on the Miracle of Melatonin more than 10 years ago by Regalson. This book convinced me that melatonin, like other natural hormones, declines with age leading to sleep problems after age 40. My wife and I have been following Regalson's advice for 10 years. We sleep like babies, and my wife can tell when we take an inferior brand of melatonin. This is an orthomolecular therapy.

I hope that the previous "I can't sleep after taking high vitamin C" forum discussion is still available via the search. That discussion might also aid you. I have never heard of such a symptom with vitamin E,
especially uniqu-E, and you might contact the A. C. Grace company to see what they know/suggest and report back. Thx

_________________
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath


Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:27 am
Profile
Post 
What brands of Melatonin are high quality?


Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:56 pm
Post IUs and Melatonin
Dear Owen,

Thanks for the reply. It is 400 IUs that I am taking. I fear 2000 IU would be insomnia city for me. I have repeated this experiment often with E. I love the positive effects it has but the sleep problem always seems to manifest after a few days with it. The same happens with the B-complex vitamins.

I took melatonin in the past and it seemed to work but only for a while. I'll try it again.

I am not taking any prescription medication at all. Not even baby aspirin.

I'll give A.C. Grace a look as well.

Other people I have spoken to and participated in forums with have this overload problem. I have no ready theory for it. Someone suggested that our livers couldn't process daily vitamins and just to use the vitamins on a random basis.

Thanks again.
John :D


Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:40 am
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Posts: 9216
Location: Lisle, IL
Post Re: IUs and Melatonin
johnor wrote:
Dear Owen,
Other people I have spoken to and participated in forums with have this overload problem. I have no ready theory for it. Someone suggested that our livers couldn't process daily vitamins and just to use the vitamins on a random basis.
John :D


Huh? You may have some difficulty, but some vitamin E should be taken every day - even 20 iu.

Not taking vitamin E is the best way to induce a heart attack.

We know that low serum vitamin E is a 70% better predictor of heart attack than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol - according to epidemiologists at the World Health Org (WHO). This according to the author Sinatra.

Have you tried changing brands of B-complex with the same results?

_________________
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath


Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm
Profile
Post Vitamin E
Dear Owen,

I don't know if I have been getting the bare minimum amount of Vitamin E per day or not. I have a similar problem with the B vitamins.

Thanks.
John :D


Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:07 pm
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United States, Midwest
Post Re: IUs and Melatonin
ofonorow wrote:
johnor wrote:
Dear Owen,
Other people I have spoken to and participated in forums with have this overload problem. I have no ready theory for it. Someone suggested that our livers couldn't process daily vitamins and just to use the vitamins on a random basis.
John :D


Huh? You may have some difficulty, but some vitamin E should be taken every day - even 20 iu.

Not taking vitamin E is the best way to induce a heart attack.

We know that low serum vitamin E is a 70% better predictor of heart attack than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol - according to epidemiologists at the World Health Org (WHO). This according to the author Sinatra.

Have you tried changing brands of B-complex with the same results?


Are you saying that low Vitamin E is worse than having low Vitamin C? I understand that E and C work somewhat like a water brigade to move free radicals out of the body. Radical attaches to E, then moved to C and out the renal system.

However, are we saying the even with plenty of V-C you will still have severe heart disease? This seems to break a bit from the V-C theory of heart disease.

Most with low E would most certainly have low C. How many vitamin users do use both C and E?

As for dosage, I have moved up from 400IU to 800IU (Natural E). Should I move up to 1600IU or more? Why so much E?

Thanks for any explanation.


Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:10 am
Profile
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Posts: 9216
Location: Lisle, IL
Post Vitamin C and E
I suspect that more vitamin E is needed the less vitamin C is taken in the diet.

The report that low serum vitamin E is highly correlated with heart attack, and that low blood serum vitamin E a much better predictor for such an event than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol has been "buried" by conventional medicine. Also, because most of the population is on a low-vitamin C intake, this WHO finding does nothing by itself to obviate the Pauling/Rath unified theory.

Note that if you follow Linus Pauling's 1986 advice - you are covered.

_________________
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath


Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:03 am
Profile
quack
quack

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 783
Post 
Ascorbic joe,

Why did you go up to 800 IU of E? More should only be necessary if you have angina pectoris and/or intermittant claudication or some other obvious manifestation of heart disease.

Dolev


Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 am
Profile
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Posts: 9216
Location: Lisle, IL
Post Depends on the Brand
Dolev wrote:
Ascorbic joe,

Why did you go up to 800 IU of E? More should only be necessary if you have angina pectoris and/or intermittant claudication or some other obvious manifestation of heart disease.

Dolev


With some brands, people will notice taking more than 800 iu, even less. Racing heartbeat, etc.

With A. C. Grace, most people can take 3200 iu of their Unique-E, and not notice any side effects. The late owner of the company recommended 2000 iu, and this is the amount that seems to reverse bad EKG readings on demand.

We have seen another (buried) report of a study that found the optimal antioxidant effect with oral vitamin E was at 3200 iu (top of the curve).

Why do you think 800 iu is necessarily optimal?

_________________
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath


Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:34 am
Profile
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United States, Midwest
Post 
Dolev wrote:
Ascorbic joe,

Why did you go up to 800 IU of E? More should only be necessary if you have angina pectoris and/or intermittant claudication or some other obvious manifestation of heart disease.

Dolev


I rechecked Paulings HTLLAFB and it showed 800IU. I figured that I would change. I have no health problems, I would say I feel better than ever, since using vitamins more aggressively.


Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:26 am
Profile
quack
quack

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 783
Post 
:D I'm laughing at myself. :D One of the first times I think someone is taking a larger-than-necessary amount of a vitamin :!:

_________________
Dolev


Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:03 pm
Profile
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Posts: 9216
Location: Lisle, IL
Post By The Way
What is the vitamin E deficiency disease?

_________________
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath


Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:36 pm
Profile
Post Re: By The Way
ofonorow wrote:
What is the vitamin E deficiency disease?

Fetal reabsorption, if I remember correctly.


Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:23 pm
quack
quack

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 783
Post 
Vitamin E used to be called "a vitamin looking for a disease", according to the old theory of vitamins.

“toco”= childbirth (Greek) “phero”= to carry

So I guess that inability to carry a pregnancy is the deficiency disease.

In 1931, Vogt-Moller of Denmark successfully treated habitual abortion in females with wheat germ oil. By 1939 he had treated several hundred women with success rate of about 80%.

Health Culture Magazine for January, 1936 said, " E… Its absence from the diet causes sterility and degeneration of male sperm

_________________
Dolev


Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.