Vitamin Overload

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

johnor

Vitamin Overload

Post Number:#1  Post by johnor » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Owen,

I have followed your advice on adding Vitamin E to my regimen. I used Unique-E from the Vitamin Shoppe. I am taking 400 mg per day. It does have a beneficial effect on me - improved memory and attention span. However, after a few days it seems to effect my sleep time. I don't seem to be able to sleep much at all. The brain is working overtime all night long. Do you have any solution for this. I am trying only taking it once or twice a week. So far that seems better.

Thanks.
John :D

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin Overload

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:27 am

johnor wrote:Owen,

I have followed your advice on adding Vitamin E to my regimen. I used Unique-E from the Vitamin Shoppe. I am taking 400 mg per day. It does have a beneficial effect on me - improved memory and attention span. However, after a few days it seems to effect my sleep time. I don't seem to be able to sleep much at all. The brain is working overtime all night long. Do you have any solution for this. I am trying only taking it once or twice a week. So far that seems better.

Thanks.

Do you mean 400 iu? The recommended dosage is 2000 iu or 5 - 400 iu pills in the a.m.

Inability to sleep is a common side effect of many prescription drugs, especially the statins. Are you on any drugs at this time?

As I have mentioned previously, I read a book on the Miracle of Melatonin more than 10 years ago by Regalson. This book convinced me that melatonin, like other natural hormones, declines with age leading to sleep problems after age 40. My wife and I have been following Regalson's advice for 10 years. We sleep like babies, and my wife can tell when we take an inferior brand of melatonin. This is an orthomolecular therapy.

I hope that the previous "I can't sleep after taking high vitamin C" forum discussion is still available via the search. That discussion might also aid you. I have never heard of such a symptom with vitamin E,
especially uniqu-E, and you might contact the A. C. Grace company to see what they know/suggest and report back. Thx
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jman

Post Number:#3  Post by jman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:56 pm

What brands of Melatonin are high quality?

johnor

IUs and Melatonin

Post Number:#4  Post by johnor » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:40 am

Dear Owen,

Thanks for the reply. It is 400 IUs that I am taking. I fear 2000 IU would be insomnia city for me. I have repeated this experiment often with E. I love the positive effects it has but the sleep problem always seems to manifest after a few days with it. The same happens with the B-complex vitamins.

I took melatonin in the past and it seemed to work but only for a while. I'll try it again.

I am not taking any prescription medication at all. Not even baby aspirin.

I'll give A.C. Grace a look as well.

Other people I have spoken to and participated in forums with have this overload problem. I have no ready theory for it. Someone suggested that our livers couldn't process daily vitamins and just to use the vitamins on a random basis.

Thanks again.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: IUs and Melatonin

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm

johnor wrote:Dear Owen,
Other people I have spoken to and participated in forums with have this overload problem. I have no ready theory for it. Someone suggested that our livers couldn't process daily vitamins and just to use the vitamins on a random basis.

Huh? You may have some difficulty, but some vitamin E should be taken every day - even 20 iu.

Not taking vitamin E is the best way to induce a heart attack.

We know that low serum vitamin E is a 70% better predictor of heart attack than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol - according to epidemiologists at the World Health Org (WHO). This according to the author Sinatra.

Have you tried changing brands of B-complex with the same results?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

johnor

Vitamin E

Post Number:#6  Post by johnor » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:07 pm

Dear Owen,

I don't know if I have been getting the bare minimum amount of Vitamin E per day or not. I have a similar problem with the B vitamins.

Thanks.

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: IUs and Melatonin

Post Number:#7  Post by ascorbicjoe » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:10 am

ofonorow wrote:
johnor wrote:Dear Owen,

Huh? You may have some difficulty, but some vitamin E should be taken every day - even 20 iu.

Not taking vitamin E is the best way to induce a heart attack.

We know that low serum vitamin E is a 70% better predictor of heart attack than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol - according to epidemiologists at the World Health Org (WHO). This according to the author Sinatra.

Have you tried changing brands of B-complex with the same results?

Are you saying that low Vitamin E is worse than having low Vitamin C? I understand that E and C work somewhat like a water brigade to move free radicals out of the body. Radical attaches to E, then moved to C and out the renal system.

However, are we saying the even with plenty of V-C you will still have severe heart disease? This seems to break a bit from the V-C theory of heart disease.

Most with low E would most certainly have low C. How many vitamin users do use both C and E?

As for dosage, I have moved up from 400IU to 800IU (Natural E). Should I move up to 1600IU or more? Why so much E?

Thanks for any explanation.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin C and E

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:03 am

I suspect that more vitamin E is needed the less vitamin C is taken in the diet.

The report that low serum vitamin E is highly correlated with heart attack, and that low blood serum vitamin E a much better predictor for such an event than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol has been "buried" by conventional medicine. Also, because most of the population is on a low-vitamin C intake, this WHO finding does nothing by itself to obviate the Pauling/Rath unified theory.

Note that if you follow Linus Pauling's 1986 advice - you are covered.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#9  Post by Dolev » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 am

Ascorbic joe,

Why did you go up to 800 IU of E? More should only be necessary if you have angina pectoris and/or intermittant claudication or some other obvious manifestation of heart disease.

Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Depends on the Brand

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:34 am

Dolev wrote:Ascorbic joe,

Why did you go up to 800 IU of E? More should only be necessary if you have angina pectoris and/or intermittant claudication or some other obvious manifestation of heart disease.

Dolev

With some brands, people will notice taking more than 800 iu, even less. Racing heartbeat, etc.

With A. C. Grace, most people can take 3200 iu of their Unique-E, and not notice any side effects. The late owner of the company recommended 2000 iu, and this is the amount that seems to reverse bad EKG readings on demand.

We have seen another (buried) report of a study that found the optimal antioxidant effect with oral vitamin E was at 3200 iu (top of the curve).

Why do you think 800 iu is necessarily optimal?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#11  Post by ascorbicjoe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:26 am

Dolev wrote:Ascorbic joe,

Dolev

I rechecked Paulings HTLLAFB and it showed 800IU. I figured that I would change. I have no health problems, I would say I feel better than ever, since using vitamins more aggressively.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#12  Post by Dolev » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:03 pm

:D I'm laughing at myself. :D One of the first times I think someone is taking a larger-than-necessary amount of a vitamin :!:
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

By The Way

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:36 pm

What is the vitamin E deficiency disease?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

hyperascorbemic

Re: By The Way

Post Number:#14  Post by hyperascorbemic » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:23 pm

ofonorow wrote:What is the vitamin E deficiency disease?

Fetal reabsorption, if I remember correctly.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#15  Post by Dolev » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:08 am

Vitamin E used to be called "a vitamin looking for a disease", according to the old theory of vitamins.

“toco”= childbirth (Greek) “phero”= to carry

So I guess that inability to carry a pregnancy is the deficiency disease.

In 1931, Vogt-Moller of Denmark successfully treated habitual abortion in females with wheat germ oil. By 1939 he had treated several hundred women with success rate of about 80%.

Health Culture Magazine for January, 1936 said, " E… Its absence from the diet causes sterility and degeneration of male sperm
Dolev

Return to “Toxicity”