Empty/full stomach and absorption

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

CeeCee101
Contributor
Contributor

Empty/full stomach and absorption

Post Number:#1  Post by CeeCee101 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:33 pm

I have a theory, it might sound silly for those of you who are experts in vit.C (or not), but it's plausible to me so I'm gonna propose it anyway. :D

So, I have noticed that the best way for me to take vit.C (sodium ascorbate, ascorbic acid) is on an empty stomach. Whenever I take it during or after a meal I get bloated and gassy. Now my theory is that perhaps with a full stomach the vit.C is more effectively absorbed, because it passes much slower trough the intestinal tract, thus you get symptoms of excess vit.C with smaller amounts. In this case, I would be wasting a lot of vitamin C by taking it on an empty stomach! That's why I wanted to check. Hope you guys can clear things up for me. :)

CeeCee101
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Empty/full stomach and absorption

Post Number:#2  Post by CeeCee101 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Anyone have a simple answer?

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by musashie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:29 pm

I would agree. I can delay bowel tolerance for a considerable dose on an empty stomach. With food, starts happening within 5-10grams. Empty tract, less chemistry at work expecially as the bowels are a hive of activity adding in a potential sensitve gut and kapow. I agree with less absorbancy on a full stomach. The advice is to ideally take c on an empty stomach not a full one.
Last edited by musashie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CeeCee101
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by CeeCee101 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am

That makes sense to me too. What doesn't make sense to me then, is why it is advised to take it on an empty stomach!

I wish there would be research exploring the different absorption rates. Would love to hear it if anybody knows more about this.

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by Joanna45 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:32 am

I take heart tech from tower labs and they say take 15 minutes before eating ..and at first I was taking pure AA and Lysine from the health food store..and could take 16 grams then would start to get diarrhea..so back off to 12 grams ..but after a month went to tower labs because they have all the ingredients in one powder...now get near bowel tolerance with 6grams.
What do others take ..and I find it inconvenient sometimes if you are active,, like skiing or out hiking ..I like tablets but then you get a high dose of fillers.

Joanna
Last edited by Joanna45 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Joanna45 wrote:...
Joanna

Wow you take 13 lbs of Heart ❤ Tech?
Lol. This gave me a chuckle.
You must mean 6 g.

Junk for pill forming is 50 % of the 1.5 g pill mass.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4 ... merReviews
You have to go to the manufacture's site to see the, mostly, cellulose and stearic acid.
This is what I am using at 40 g, in 8 to 10 doses of 4 g each, per day. Tolerance not reached yet. I must be very ill with CVD. I wonder how long to stay at 40 before jumping up to the next level? 50 seems reasonable.

Edit
Another Q
If I simple drink the needed baking soda solution with my dose of VC pills, is that sodium ascorbate?

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#7  Post by Joanna45 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:36 am

Skwoodwiva

I just read my post and no where in the paragraph did I say anything about lbs of heart tech I said grams so you should re read the article ...I take 2 jars of heart tech a month.

Regards Joanna

Annee
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#8  Post by Annee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am

I don't know about you but to me, I feel nausea when taking it on empty stomach :(

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”