Quercetin

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

BimLanders

Post Number:#16  Post by BimLanders » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:43 am

Would you imply that taking 500mg of Quercetin a day may have a toxic effect? Since it is found in so many produce items, and has only benefits listed, would I be wise to proceed with caution? Perhaps then I would be in a special needs category. For example, I used to require allergy medication almost daily. It would seem to me that taking quercetin instead would be much safer.

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#17  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:42 am

I take quercitin when Vitamin C alone is not clearing up my problem. Once the worst part of my problem is overcome, I just stick to the Vitamin C. I only take quercitin when I need the extra help/boost.

BimLanders

Post Number:#18  Post by BimLanders » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Since my body doesn't actually require quercetin, I will see what happens if I skip taking it today, and take only my other vitamin. That sounds reasonable to take quercetin only when my symptoms are very bad. But what about during bad allergy time periods that can last for weeks? Would a daily use of quercetin be a bad idea in this scenerio?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

We don't know

Post Number:#19  Post by ofonorow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:05 am

On the whole, quercetin seems very safe, so the word "toxic" probably doesn't apply, but I'm just pointing out that unlike the vitamins - molecules required for life else we die, but now manufactured for us in the DNA of plants - quercetin is not a vitamin. We can live without it. If you can live better with it, then by all means, use it.

But if you get a gouty arthritis, you'll have to ask yourself if that is worth the benefit.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Quercetin Toxicity

Post Number:#20  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:08 pm

I am reading an excellent book that I would recommend and don't mind plugging (What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Breast Cancer, John Lee, et. al, 2003) and normally I would have passed over the following without much thought.

However, this dicussion regarding quercetin made me wonder why it has to be neutralized by an enzyme in our cells?

Under ordinary circumstances, your body has two primary ways of neutralizing catechol and quinone estrogens. As we mentioned above, the methylacion process immediately takes care of probably 99 percent of the catechol estrogens with an enzyme called catechol ortho-methyltransferase (COMT). Red blood cells have some of the highest levels of this enzyme, and every tissue of the body is lined with it to protect it from the formation of catechols within or from incoming catechols. If this weren’t so, the catechols such as quercetin that are found abundantly in many foods would be toxic. Methylation by COMT effectively renders the estrogens inert and targets them for elimination though bile (feces), urine or sweat.

The mythylatio pathway can become overwhelmed under certain conditions in the body, allowing some of the 2- and 4-hydoxy estrogens to slip through the cracks and survive intact. Some of the conditions that can block the methylation pathway include:

· A genetic flaw in the production of COMT
· Nutritional deficiencies that result in limited availability of methyl groups for the enzyme
· Excess production of estrogens

Scientists have shown in animals that certain chemicals, when oxidized, will more readily strip the catechol or electrons and transform it into a quinone. For example, a combination of a peroxidase enzyme (which happens to be induced by estrogens) and rancid fats or oils will activate the bad estrogens. These unstable lipids often come from the polyunsaturated oils such as corn and safflower oil.

Flax seed oil is one of the most unstable and unsaturated oils we know of, which is why we are not keen on over-using it as a nutritional supplement. (It’s okay to grind the seeds and use those in moderation.) Mother Nature put these oils in our foods in small amounts for a good reason! Saturated fats such as those found in eat and coconut oil do not oxidize this way. So much for the nutritional wisdom doled out by the government and the processed foods industry for the past four decades" Page 125-126 What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer, How Hormone Balance Can Help Save Your Life, John R. Lee, MD, David Zava, Virginia Hopkins. 2003, ISBN 0-446-52686-X
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

BimLanders

Post Number:#21  Post by BimLanders » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:10 am

How much ground flaxseed would be considered too much? I usually put a spoonful into my oatmeal, daily.

schang1984

Re: Quercetin

Post Number:#22  Post by schang1984 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm

I researched natural antihistamines for and discovered quercetin. Recently I hastily purchased a bottle of quercetin in plastic capsule form. I try to avoid ingesting plastic whenever possible. Just for the first dose, I popped the pill, along with my Vitamin C. I noticed that my allergies very mild (and right during prime allergy time for me). I decided, though, that it may be a good idea to open the capsule and pour the contents into water, thus avoiding ingestation of plastic; this I tried today. After just a few sips, I noticed a wave of sensations over most of my face. Since I was about to go out for the evening, I didn't want to have an unexpected reaction and decided not to finish the drinking the dose. Then, something curious happened: my plugged up right ear that has been giving my problems for a couple of years now suddenly started to pop open a little. The feeling was terrific! It did not fully clear up, but you have to remember that this was not a full dose. I also noticed that I could breath easier and my asthma was non-existent.

Since I have never experienced this effect before, so quickly, and all at once, I immediately conisidered that taking the quercetin dose orally in water had a much more powerful and sudden absorbtion into my body. I was somewhat concerned about the intensity of the effect, which cause me to not finish the dose, but I am very optimistic.

Try combining Quercetin with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid).

I have a website that is about using vitamin C + Quercetin against cancer:

http://www.qcancercure.com/

Good luck!!!

johndolan

Best Solution for Inflammation

Post Number:#23  Post by johndolan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:10 am

inflammation can be unsightly and painful. I have gone through this in past.
I tried all kind of medicine but it didn't work on my body.
One of my friend suggested me to take natural ingredients like Bromelain AND Quercetin on regular basis. There are various supplier of this but I recommend to only use what my physician told me. I started to take 2 capsules everyday. Now my life is lots of easier without having any type of allergy.

sarachen

Re: Quercetin

Post Number:#24  Post by sarachen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:53 pm

I've found turmeric to have anti-inflammatory effects when I've used it.

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”