What is the osmolarity of sodium ascorbate?

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the osmolarity of sodium ascorbate?

Post Number:#1  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 pm

In other words, if you add 50 grams sodium ascorbate to a .9% sodium chloride bag with a 350MMoL osmolarity, dextrose is 272 MMoL. So what is sodium ascorbate?

Riordan says to never exceed a solution of 1200 MMoL, but it sounds like 50 grams sodium ascorbate alone could exceed that in 1000ml. It donates 5grams of sodium alone, plus another 45 of a solution that needs to be absorbed. Thats a lot of stuff

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: What is the osmolarity of sodium ascorbate?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 am

jamesLdavis1 wrote:In other words, if you add 50 grams sodium ascorbate to a .9% sodium chloride bag with a 350MMoL osmolarity, dextrose is 272 MMoL. So what is sodium ascorbate?

Riordan says to never exceed a solution of 1200 MMoL, but it sounds like 50 grams sodium ascorbate alone could exceed that in 1000ml. It donates 5grams of sodium alone, plus another 45 of a solution that needs to be absorbed. Thats a lot of stuff

If I am the expert here, then we are in trouble, but in the first sentence, we do not recommend adding the materials you suggest. Dr. Levy recommends sterile water and that is what Dr. Cathcart said he preferred, by the way. See Cathcart's updated paper on IVC Administration: http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf

The Cathcart process is two-step. First a stock solution is created - 50/50 sodium ascorbate and sterile water. 250 grams sodium ascorbate and the rest of a 500 CC bag is filled with sterile water. (Levy recommends a filter). The stock solution is not infused directly into the body, but a smaller amount is added to a standard IV bag, and there may be other materials in the standard IV bag, but we have warned here against saline for reasons you suggest. So if a 50 gram intravenous vitamin C is required, 100 CC of the stock solution is added to the IV/C bag.

I am not sure it is osmolarity or simply the question of volume, but when I took my 200 gram IV/C (fighting the phantom that turned out to be a cortisol deficiency) that IV required two IV bags, and each looked to be about 700 CC's each (guess). This IV required several hours, and I don't know about the sodium, but it certainly is a lot of fluid! No adverse affects, other than temporary relief of the symptoms I was feeling at the time.

Since we don't recommend those materials, dextrose or saline, I believe the second question is moot?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

mihanico

Post Number:#3  Post by mihanico » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello Owen!

Can you please enlighten me on correctly preparing the Ivs in Cathcart style?

1. After preparing the 50/50 stock solution with sterile water, if I want to make a 150 g perfusion, how much sterile water should I add to the 300 ml solution?
2. How do you get your sterile water? I would rather sterilize it myself.

3. All the commercially available IV solutions contain other ingredients as NaCl, potasium, etc. Nothing like that will be added to the final IV bag, just the stock solution and sterile water, right?

PLEASE, PLEASE answer me... I really need these answers...

Thank You!!!

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by tjohnson_nb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”