Question about Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question about Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)

Post Number:#1  Post by jpoww » Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Ofonorow, my husband's cardiologist has opened a renew and wellness office and is going to start doing IV therapy. He has already started the Meyers Cocktail. He knows my husband is on LP Therapy, and I was bugging him about when he is going to start a IV for vitamin C. He said he needs to do research before he feels comfortable with doing it but he asked me if I knew how much vitamin C to use. I told him I don't know but I will do try to find out. So I figured I would come to the only place I trust. Can you help me? I want this doctor to get it up and running as soon as possible so I can get my husband on it.

Thank You
Josie

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Question about Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am

Very interesting - on several levels. Sounds like a great doc!

Even IV/C expert and pioneer Dr. Robert Catchart relied on oral vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) for most of his patients. He only utilized Intravenous Infusions where necessary. And because of the bowel tolerance phenomenon (This paper might be interesting for your doc to read http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/Vitamin_C_Dosage_in_Disease.pdf) people who need more C (meaning that they have a higher bowel tolerance) can take a great deal more by mouth, in the case of mono, up to 200,000 mg daily!

The current push for IV/C is for cancer treatment is because of the very high blood concentrations that are created, but as Dr. Levy points out, he has seen ordinary oral vitamin C and lipsomal vitamin C work as a "monotherapy" even in cancers.

As far as heart disease - since a person cannot be hooked to an IV 24/7 (all the time) - the most benefit would be something like 500 mg of oral vitamin C (and lysine up to 6000 total per day) every 4 hours. This is inconvenient, so I myself used to take 9000 mg every 12 hours, and now I am putting many things into a water bottle (Cardio-C, ascorbic acid powder, sodium ascorbate power, and liposomal) and sipping throughout the day. I do not see a clear benefit of IV/C for heart disease - aka chronic scruvy.

Dr. Levy once said that a typical and useful IV dose that generally he found effective in more most issues: 50 grams IV.

(Note: He should start slow - say 10 grams IV, and if no blood in the urine, slowly increase in new patients because of the rare gpd6 deficiency possibility)

I noticed that Dr. Drisko in her podcast mentions that they give cancer patients up to 200 grams IV. (I'd love to know what vitamin C they are using).

There is a currently inexplicable difference between the standard commercial IV for injection (Bioniche - buffered ascorbic acid) and sodium ascorbate mix per Dr. Catchart's instructions. Bioniche is mild and seems well suited for cleansing, say after dental work. Cathcart's sodium ascorbate is much stronger, and seems to be capable of pulling toxins out of tissues, etc. Sodium ascorbate is what I would use for cancer.

Your doctor can get sterile, premixed Sodium Ascorbate from a compounding pharmacy. The local pharmacy charges $100 for 500 CC (250 grams sodium ascorbate) or the stock solution per Cathcart (Plus shipping). If he wanted to emulate Catchart and mix his own (most doctors don't these days) he could mix 500 CC (250 g sodium ascorbate) for less than $40.

Here is Catchart's written guide on IV/C preparation updated and with Dr. Levy's dosage recommendations. http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf and here is Catchcart's lecture at youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRTLoQlSks

The new book by Levy entitled Death by Calcium also contains an excellent chapter on vitamin C administration.

Added I was told by an AIDS patient who received IV/C at Riordan's clinic that they always measure blood levels of ascorbate after they administer ascorbate IV - and if vitamin C levels are zero, they prepare another bag, and infuse more. I also found a paper by Drisko's team that confirmed that you can use a glucose meter to take this reading (e.g. freestyle Lite from Abbott labs.).

Take blood sugar, e.g. 90 mg/dl
Give patient IV.
Take another blood sugar, should be about 300 mg/dl. If not, patient's tissues are soaking up the ascorbate, say if less than 100 mg/dl - infuse additional vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by jpoww » Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Ofonorow, thank you so much for the information. I will pass it all along to my doctor!!
so in your opinion you think there is no benefit of Intravenous Vit. C for people with heart disease? better to stick with orally taking the vitamin C.
You said that you are now "putting many things into a water bottle (Cardio-C, ascorbic acid powder, sodium ascorbate power, and liposomal) and sipping throughout the day." Do you put your lysine in there too?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Sat May 31, 2014 11:03 am

Yes (re: lysine), I currently get my daily preventive Pauling therapy as Cardio-C or Ascorbade. Both products have lysine and proline. Both are added to a commercial bottled water.

Under emergency conditions, I would want a heart patient to be on an IV drip that includes vitamin C - and magnesium, (and if Heart Surgeon (and Author) Dr. Grundy (Grundy's Diet Evolution) is correct, I was happy to read that IV magnesium is now a standard treatment for heart attacks.)

But for the condition generally referred to has heart disease (chronic scurvy) a flood of vitamin C from the IV may very well pass out of the body without doing a lot of good. It is better to take oral vitamin C, as I mentioned throughout the day, maintaining the highest levels of vitamin C in the blood. The Hickey/Roberts DYNAMIC FLOW THEORY as detailed in their excellent book: ASCORBATE: THE SCIENCE OF VITAMIN C (lulu.com/ascorbate) provides the reasoning behind the 500 mg every 4 hours approach.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”