It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:47 am

Vitamin C, Lecithin, and Bowel Tolerance 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Vitamin C, Lecithin, and Bowel Tolerance
I have noticed a curious thing happen in my supplementation.

For the past several months, I have been gotten used to 5000mg of VC being my bowel tolerance level.

On the yahoogroup for DIY lipo, someone said that before they got their machine, they started just combining VC and lecithin and got good results from just that. (I don't remember any more detail off hand and could not re-find the exact post)

Because I got concerned about using distilled H2O from a plastic bottle in my lipo, I quit that. Now in combining liquid sunflower lecithin and VC, I find that 5000mg is no longer bowel tolerance.

While this is just anecdotal, does anyone have any comments as to what is happening here?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:01 pm
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Re: Vitamin C, Lecithin, and Bowel Tolerance
I the context of your post, did you mean 5 grms was your bowel tolerance with home-made lipo-C? If so, how high was it with regular oral ascorbic acid? - Such a low bowel tolerance with lipo-C is really surprising me, because when I experimented with regular ascorbic acid mine was at 50 grms, and using self-made lipo-C seemed to raise it an other 70%. Which I interpreted as 70% liposomal encapsulation, because I was under the impression lipo-C couldn't cause any bowel issues? (up to a certain amount, where lecithin would by itself)

Please clarify!

I would interpret your experience with liquid sunflower lecithin that some liposomal encapsulation occurred (which would be surprising only if you didn't used an ultra-sonic cleaner)

Where do you get liquid sunflower lecithin?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can see where my mention earlier of homemade lipo was confusing my message. That info was meant as background data to show how/why I got to where I am doing what I am doing.

For several months, I got used to 5000mg of regular (non-lipo) oral VC being my bowel tolerance, which I took first thing in the AM. Then I would make a batch of about 15000mg of homemake lipo which I would take throughout the day.

Then I saw a comment in the DIY yahoogroup cautioning that distiled H2O from a plastic bottle should not be used to make lipo. I quit altogether making lipo, shelving that activity for now.

Then I saw a post from someone that had not gotten their sonic cleaner just yet and decided to combine lecithin with VC, without sonicating. They thought that their experience was that the lecithin was having an effect on the absorption of the VC. I tried to back and re-find the exact post, but could not.

Liquid sunflower lecithin has the consistency of molasses. My protocol, using a Vitamix:

1. put 1 cup H2O in blender and turn on slow
2. put a tablespoon of lecithin into the slowly agitating H2O (This is a sticky, messy process. As the tablespoon is withdrawn from the container, It must be twirled or spun slowly. I use a teaspoon to scrape the lecithin off the tablespoon into the blender.
3. turn the blender speed up to the highest setting for 45 seconds to fully blend lecithin and H2O
4. With blender on slow setting, add 1 teaspoon of regular VC and 2 teaspoons of L-lysine. blend a short while.
5. drink without sonicating

Before 1 teaspoon of regular VC was definately bowel tolerance. Definately not the case now.

Is absorption improved now or is absorption being blocked?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

twowheelfree wrote:
For several months, I got used to 5000mg of regular (non-lipo) oral VC being my bowel tolerance, which I took first thing in the AM. Then I would make a batch of about 15000mg of homemake lipo which I would take throughout the day...

Before 1 teaspoon of regular VC was definately bowel tolerance. Definately not the case now.

Is absorption improved now or is absorption being blocked?

So you meant bowel-tolerance with non-encapsulated vitamin C.

However, there is a misunderstanding regarding bowel-tolerance, though there is definitely a 'bowel-tolerance' per serving, this is much much lower than what is meant titrating up to to bowel tolerance, where smaller doses are taken throughout the day until a liquid stool occurs. For example my 'single serving' tolerance was somewhere above 8 grams, but with the meaning of titrating up to bowel tolerance by taking 8 grams every 2 hours (9 times during one day) I was coming close to my bowel tolerance of 50 g per day. (By spreading it out even further by taking less but more frequently, like every 20 minutes, I probably could have pushed it even a bid higher)

By taking your maximal tolerable single serving of 5 gram once in AM only and not titrating any further you simple don't know your bowel tolerance yet (a term which is meaningless to apply to a single serving, since without titrating any further you wont be able to fight even a simple cold with vitamin C...)

To answer you question if absorption is improved because your tolerating more than 5 gram with a single serving as before, usually the bodies ability to absorb oral vitamin C is growing exponentially with, for example, some infection going on, and decreased with good health because it doesn't needs as much.

see here:

Quote:
BOWEL TOLERANCE METHOD

In 1970, I discovered that the sicker a patient was, the more ascorbic acid he would tolerate by mouth before diarrhea was produced. At least 80% of adult patients will tolerate 10 to 15 grams of ascorbic acid fine crystals in 1/2 cup water divided into 4 doses per 24 hours without having diarrhea. The astonishing finding was that all patients, tolerant of ascorbic acid, can take greater amounts of the substance orally without having diarrhea when ill or under stress. This increased tolerance is somewhat proportional to the toxicity of the disease being treated. Tolerance is increased some by stress (e.g., anxiety, exercise, heat, cold, etc.)(see FIGURE I). Admittedly, increasing the frequency of doses increases tolerance perhaps to half again as much, but the tolerances of sometimes over 200 grams per 24 hours were totally unexpected. Representative doses taken by tolerant patients titrating their ascorbic acid intake between the relief of most symptoms and the production of diarrhea were as follows:
Code:

TABLE I - USUAL BOWEL TOLERANCE DOSES

GRAMS ASCORBIC ACID      NUMBER OF DOSES     
CONDITION                  PER 24 HOURS           PER 24 HOURS
normal                       4 -  15              4 -  6
mild cold                   30 -  60              6 - 10
severe cold                 60 - 100+             8 - 15
influenza                  100 - 150              8 - 20
ECHO, coxsackievirus       100 - 150              8 - 20
mononucleosis              150 - 200+            12 - 25
viral pneumonia            100 - 200+            12 - 25
hay fever, asthma           15 -  50              4 -  8