It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 am

how does vit. C work in the body? 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post how does vit. C work in the body?
Hello. I urgently need a succinct explanation of how vitamin C works in the human body. I believe such explanation is in Tom Levy's Primal Panacea, but I've loaned that book to someone (& don't remember who).

I'm in considerable conflict with a govt department that has cut all financial assistance to me for e.g., Na ascorbate (which I've used minimally 20grams/day since 1983 for immune system support -"lived with" MS & autoimmune iridocyclitis for decades. In 1983 advised by Carl Pfeiffer, Bill Philpott & Archie Kalokerinos to continue so doing without ceasing - they each took 20 grams/day themselves & none had MS. Was virtually told my neurologist in 1982 that I'd be in a wheelchair by 1987. That hasn't happened [yet], but I've experienced a very severe relapse of MS since late Nov. 2011 - slowly getting "better" with (I believe) aid of 4.5mg LDN for around past 4 months. I've been informed that vit C & other nutrients I've long used are: "... not the primary first line of treatment for (my) conditions", "... that it's (my) choice that (I) take them" and that "There is no medical evidence provided that these (nutrients) are essential or necessary and cannot be obtained from a balanced diet." These nutrients were signed off for around 30 years by a previous GP & more recently, by a "new" GP who supports my management approach.

I also take high B Complex (50mgr/50mg) 2-4 tabs/day, flax seed oil (for EFAs) & magnesium(for hypertension) + use MSM for pain relief - I can't tolerate the "safe" drugs - paracetamol or ibruprofen.

Without daily Na ascorbate, I cough up purulent, green mucus every morning, & at times throughout the day. As a registered nurse (retd) I've long understood/known that such mucus is indicative of foci of infection in one's body. At the severest of my MS relapse, great mouthfuls of such mucus would rise into my mouth without coughing & only recourse to lipospheric vit C caused that nasty symptom to abate. I had to stop taking that form of vit. C as it's too expensive for me. I find it very difficult to raise the level of my serum ascorbate with Na ascorbate alone- managing only to take a max of around 25gram/day at most now.

Any advice/information greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 am
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Re: how does vit. C work in the body?
I believe in your case Owen's approach with cortosteroids and V-c would be of great help to you so I'll leave that for him to address.

Somethings you should talk with your doc about is a course of Tmp-Smx antibiotics such as Bactrim or septra. They do a lot more then just kill bacteria and may be helpful for you.
There is also a drug that has been more and more acknowledged as helpful for MS however it does have some nasty side effects in some people and needs to be monitored closely when used. It's called Mitoxantrone do a search on it and ask your doc what he thinks if it can help you or not??
Hope things go better for you and remember persistence is the key when dealing with the goverment. Yes become a pain in their butt and document everything because when your case gets handed off the next person in the chain will have no idea whats going on. My people deal with this everyday for our patients.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 am
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Quote:
Hello. I urgently need a succinct explanation of how vitamin C works in the human body. I believe such explanation is in Tom Levy's Primal Panacea, but I've loaned that book to someone (& don't remember who).

I agree that Dr. Levy's Primal Panacea has the most succinct explanation of how vitamin C works, and why dosage is relevant, and explains why higher dosages work better. (However, Dr. Hickey is not a fan of this explanation.) If you still think those paragraphs will help you, I will copy them here.

However, fighting a government/medical establishment, especially in the case of vitamin C, (where there are reports and papers of high dosages, but almost no independent clinical studies using large doses), is usually a losing battle. Dr. Levy's books, especially CURING THE INCURABLE, are probably you best bet.

Here is one study that miraculously made it through the medical establishment gatekeepers (who work constantly to keep important studies about vitamin C out of the regular journals)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&orig_db=PubMed&term=The%20effectiveness%20of%20vitamin%20C%20in%20preventing%20and%20relieving%20the%20symptoms%20of%20virus-induced%20respiratory%20infection&cmd=search&cmd_current=
The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing and relieving the symptoms of virus-induced respiratory infections.

Quote:
RESULTS:

Overall, reported flu and cold symptoms in the test group decreased 85% compared with the control group after the administration of megadose Vitamin C.

CONCLUSION:

Vitamin C in megadoses administered before or after the appearance of cold and flu symptoms relieved and prevented the symptoms in the test population compared with the control group.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 am
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

IsabelH wrote:
I'm in considerable conflict with a govt department that has cut all financial assistance to me for e.g., Na ascorbate (which I've used minimally 20grams/day since 1983 for immune system support -"lived with" MS & autoimmune iridocyclitis for decades.
I don't know where you are from, but if I were you I would write to get Dr. Thomas Levy to try to get him interested in your case. Maybe Owen could pass this thread along to him. I believe he is both an M.D. and a lawyer (or according the link below, at least has been admitted to the Colorado bar and the District of Columbia bar). I'm not sure if he stills works in the legal arena.

Even if he can't or won't help with his legal advice, maybe he knows the right people who can and will...

Perhaps by pursuing the legal avenue (in addition to other avenues of course), any victories you gain for yourself you'll likely gain for everyone.

Good luck.

http://www.tomlevymd.com/downloads/Curriculum_Vitae.pdf

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quote:
but I've experienced a very severe relapse of MS since late Nov. 2011

Dr. Terry Wahls (MUST SEE!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 am