It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 am

bells palsy 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post bells palsy
Would mega dosing vitamin c reduce symptoms of bells palsy? Could it possibly reverse bells palsy?

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:00 am
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Re: bells palsy
Quote:
Bell's palsy is a form of facial paralysis resulting from a dysfunction of the cranial nerve VII (the facial nerve) that results in the inability to control facial muscles on the affected side. Several conditions can cause facial paralysis, e.g., brain tumor, stroke, and Lyme disease. However, if no specific cause can be identified, the condition is known as Bell's palsy. Named after Scottish anatomist Charles Bell, who first described it, Bell's palsy is the most common acute mononeuropathy (disease involving only one nerve) and is the most common cause of acute facial nerve paralysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_palsy

I wouldn't think so given the issue is a damaged nerve. But a good nutritional program a la Pauling's regimen would be a good foundational nutritive start (to make sure the body has everything it needs to repair the nerve if it could.)

My current understanding is that for the body to repair anything (generate new tissue) there must be stem cells available. And for most of my existence, it was thought that brain cells (nerves?) do not regenerate.

I have an old memory of early research on the mother hormone pregnenolone that found rats with damaged spines taking this hormone would regrow some nerves in the spinal column.

Lots of cholesterol, another recommendation, as this substance is not only used to make hormones like pregnenolone, but the protective sheaf around nerves (which may be damaged.)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 am