Dumb question about LDL and coronary disease

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

davsf

Dumb question about LDL and coronary disease

Post Number:#1  Post by davsf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:12 pm

I looked on the net but couldn't find any solid studies that show a definite correlation between LDL levels and heart problems. But, since every mainstream doctor assumes LDL must be monitored and lowered if higher than 70-75, or risk heart attacks, then, mainstream medicine MUST have at least ONE study somewhere that supports that theory - right?

So, ok, does anyone here know which study, or studies, were conducted, and by whom, which gives mainstream doctors the idea that LDL levels are so doggone important in avoiding blockage in the coronary arteries?

When were these studies done? Under what conditions?

I guess I am wondering whether or not LDL as a causative agent for heart disease still has merit.

I realize this group is concentrated on the opposite notion, but, maybe someone here knows the basis for LDL levels being considered so important by mainstream doctors - the idea that they just want to mislead their patients wholesale is not credible - I am convinced that the typical doctor believes it because he read a study somewhere along the line that showed a strong relation between LDL levels and heart "events".

Any ideas here?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Dumb question about LDL and coronary disease

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Good question. I doubt that you can find a study that supports "causation, " but I'm sure there are plenty of studies that "correlated" cholesterol with heart disease. As the cholesterol critics point out, they could probably correlate "microwave ovens" or "gym shoes" with incidence of heart attack too.

You might google for Malcomb Kendrick. He is British, and one of those folks like you, searching for the scientific proof that cholesterol "causes" CVD.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

TomD

Post Number:#3  Post by TomD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

I don't know the answer, but two studies seem historic, one is referred to somewhere on one of the Vitamin C sites and is the initial connection from autopsies at the time of the Korean war, comparing "healthy" young GIs, mortally wounded and other soldiers from Korea and China, noting differences in arterial fats. The other that seems to have kicked off the pill popping is some conclusions drawn from the Framingham Heart Study, if any of my recollections are correct, that led to resignations in protest of some heart board. Not sure what drove the good vs. bad theory. Also not saying either is in any way conclusive to skeptics.

OneSickPuppy

Post Number:#4  Post by OneSickPuppy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello! I'm totally new here and am excited that I found y'all. I am hardly an expert on all this, but it seems to me that I heard somewhere that HDL and LDL are not cholesterol, but proteins. Also seems to me that I read about a study some years ago regarding high and low cholesterol. The study took place in Finland. There were two large groups involved (the numbers escape me), one group consisting of folks with cholesterol readings in the 200 range, the other in the 500 range. It was discovered, after ten years of study (I believe that is correct), that there were no more heart attacks in the 500 group than in the 200! Imagine that. I also recall reading that the New England Journal of Medicine stated flatly that there is no evidence that cholesterol causes heart attacks. This was in one of their 2001 publications, I believe. Would appreciate correction if this info is not accurate. Thanks.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”