8G of vitamin C for a cold / flu ??????

The discussion of how Vitamin C cures infection based on Thomas E Levy book: Curing the Incurable: Vitamin C, Infectious disease and toxins.

Moderator: ofonorow

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

8G of vitamin C for a cold / flu ??????

Post Number:#1  Post by knuckle » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm

8 Grams? Am I reading this correctly?

Also, how inefficient is sodium ascorbate vs. ascorbic acid?

My stomach would burn a hole in it if I took 8G of ascobic acid.

Any comments?

Thanks, Kevin

fitzgerald

Re: 8G of vitamin C for a cold / flu ??????

Post Number:#2  Post by fitzgerald » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Where did you read it? A teaspoon is four or five grams, I would take one every thirty minutes at the onset, up to bowel tolerance then every hour. Taking it consistently at intervals is important.
It won't burn a hole in your stomach.

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by knuckle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 am

I read that on here. On the main site to get rid of cold / flu. I have sodium ascorbate powder. 1/2 tsp = 2g
I have ascorbic acid pills 500mg, but they tend to cause heartburn.

Kevin

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by joiv » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:39 am

The amount you take in at a time should be adjusted according to your needs. If your bowel tolerance is very high, then obviously 8 grams per intake would not be a problem. It is better to start with a lower dosage and then increase though. Otherwise you risk having both the flu and diarrhea. You will get a feeling for this when you have taken vitamin C for a while.

I find mixing a lot of vitamin C in a big bottle of water and sipping from it frequently to be a good way to increase blood levels with lower risk of too much ending up in your bowels. You may prefer to use a straw.
Bowel Tolerance: Approximately 30 grams – Prefers pure ascorbic acid.

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by knuckle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:55 am

So, on this site it says that ascorbic acid is the only preferred form of C.

On Levy's site he says the best form for oral is sodium ascorbate.

I've taken like 5 doses of 2x500mg of ascorbic acid and with the zantac it hasn't affected my stomach. I don't get the wet squirts, just a bit of loose stools.

I just want to take enough to ensure I don't get this F'N cold that the government released that everyone else I know has.

I think the government releases this sh*t in order to get folks to buy cold medicines, stimulate the economy you know. I mean it's like this. Nobody I know, or work with has had a cold in 2 months. Suddenly everyone has a cold? WTF?

I don't really think that it's the matter of the virus either. I believe every virus is in the air and everywhere and it makes not a sh*t of a difference how many times you wash your hands. I believe it has to do with how much your immune system is supressed from stress. I think that a lot of this stuff tends to come out around the times that the media is spreading fear about the economy.

A government stimulus package is being talked about, money is tight, bla bla bla, fear, fear, fear and suddenly everyone has a cold.

EXCEPT ME. I refuse to have one, which is 3/4 of the reason I don't get sick and when I do it goes quick. Coupled with what I know about C now, that will be even less. Nobody believes me, while the idiots and their 3 week colds press on.

Oh well.

Kevin

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by joiv » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 am

If you want to prevent a cold, the most important thing to do would probably be to optimize your vitamin D levels. The reason vitamin C is so valuable is that it works so quickly. Vitamin D works slowly, but is a lot more potent and has a longer lasting effect.

So:
1) Get your vitamin D levels to between 110 nmol/L and 130 nmol/L
2) Take vitamin C regularly*
3) Don't be zink deficient

* 8 grams per dosage is too much for most people when being healthy. The instructions on this website is meant for treatment of a cold, and that would be different, because then your bowel tolerance is increased. You should always increase intake of vitamin C when your bowel tolerance increases.

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by knuckle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm

joiv wrote:If you want to prevent a cold, the most important thing to do would probably be to optimize your vitamin D levels. The reason vitamin C is so valuable is that it works so quickly. Vitamin D works slowly, but is a lot more potent and has a longer lasting effect.

So:
1) Get your vitamin D levels to between 110 nmol/L and 130 nmol/L
2) Take vitamin C regularly*
3) Don't be zink deficient

* 8 grams per dosage is too much for most people when being healthy. The instructions on this website is meant for treatment of a cold, and that would be different, because then your bowel tolerance is increased. You should always increase intake of vitamin C when your bowel tolerance increases.

Seems everyone on here is a chemist but me. What is 110 nmol/L and 130 nmol/L
I don't know metric really.

Thanks

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by Cis4me » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 am

Seems everyone on here is a chemist but me. What is 110 nmol/L and 130 nmol/L
I don't know metric really.

A mole is a measure of the number of atoms/ions/molecules/particles, think of it as like saying you have dozen eggs. Whereas a dozen means 12 of something, a mole is a much, much larger number. It is very common to express things in chemistry (and biological systems) this way because most chemical reactions are dependant on the number of molecules or other particles that can come in contact with each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

110nmol/L means you have 110 nano (billionths) of a mole of particules (in this case one of the Vitamin D analoges/metabolites depending on what the test looks for) in one liter of solution (blood in this case).

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#9  Post by joiv » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 am

I listed the numbers as nmol/L, because when you measure 25OHD (vitamin D) in blood the results are often given as nmol/L or ng/L. The reference range is 50-150 nmol/L.

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by knuckle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 am

too complicated for me.

What do vit d pills typically come in as far as mg and how many do I take per day?

Is there a simple way to figure that out? I'm 175 lbs

DonHarry

Post Number:#11  Post by DonHarry » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:16 am

Vit D3 comes in a range of dosages ranging from 1000iu to a maxium (As far as i'm aware) of 5000iu. I personally take 1 5000iu capsule per day. I weigh approx 126lbs.

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#12  Post by joiv » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

When taking vitamin D, you should take blood tests to prevent overdosing and to make sure that you get enough. There might be big interindividual differences in absorption rate. 5000IU per day could be a good start.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:09 am

On Levy's site he says the best form for oral is sodium ascorbate.

Trying to catch up here, can you point me to Levy's site which says this? His books do not say this, and there may be confusion because sodium ascorbate is the only form of vitamin C that should be used intravenously. And Dr. Levy uses IVC extensively (or used to before Lypo-C).

As far as the 8-grams of vitamin C as ascorbic acid every 20 minutes (usually for about 2 hours) at the onset of the cold or flu, the idea is to create IV-like blood levels of vitamin C to control the virus early, when there is still a chance of controlling it. As I have related previously, I learned about this from a gentelman from Costa Rica. I was at a Chelation Clinic, and if you have done this, you know there are hours sitting where you get to know people quite well. One fellow had flown up from Costa Rica just for the treatment and mentioned that the last time he had had a cold, several years before, he began taking 8000 mg every 20 minutes, and he reported that this amount not only stopped the cold in its tracks, but that he hadn't had a cold for years since.

The next time (before vitamin D/UVB lamp) I had the start of a cold, nasal drip and tickle in the throat, I began the regimen. I was amazed by two things that occurred, first, the cold (nasal drip) was stopped. I didn't catch the cold, and second, I didn't reach bowel tolerance, even though I took 8 * 6 or 48 grams in 2 hours.

We then posted that page, because Irwin Stone/Pauling only recommended 2 grams per hour, which can help but certainly doesn't have the dramatic effect of 8000 mg every 20 minutes. We also like to emphasize that dosage is everything, vitamin C is safe and nontoxic, and it is silly for medicine not to explore vitamin C treatments at higher dosages.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

knuckle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by knuckle » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:26 am

the problem for me is trusting that I can take 16 (count them) 16 500mg Vitamin C pills at a time, for every 20 minutes for 2 hours? That's 48G in 2 hours??????? That's safe?????? Sorry for my skecpticizm, I just have never taken that many pills at once. What about the nasal spray? Does that not directly go into the blood? I've been taking 2G every 2 hours or so but it's doing nothing for this horrific cold. Probably too late now.

Here it is again. I posted this in another thread before. By regular supplementation, I assume he means orally.

Link
http://www.tomlevymd.com/health_ebytes/issue_9.html

Sodium ascorbate is probably the best and certainly the least expensive of the mineral ascorbates for regular supplementation at relatively high doses (six grams or more daily). Many doctors and patients fear the regular dosing of sodium, however, due to the long-standing medical admonition to minimize sodium intake, especially for hypertension and cardiac failure patients. Indeed, sodium chloride (table salt) has long been known to facilitate fluid retention (increased plasma volume), a state that directly aggravates hypertension and heart failure. However, it appears that only sodium really results in significant fluid retention when administered with the chloride anion. Sodium when given with the anions citrate, ascorbate, or bicarbonate does not appear to adversely affect hypertension or to increase blood volume. Because of these findings, it has been directly suggested that the concept of "sodium-dependent" hypertension should be changed to "sodium chloride-dependent" hypertension (Kurtz and Morris, 1983; Kurtz et al., 1987). Anecdotally, I have never found multi-gram doses of sodium ascorbate to adversely affect blood pressure or blood volume status. However, since there always appear to be exceptions to every rule in biology, anyone who notices elevated blood pressures or ankle edema after high doses of sodium ascorbate would probably be well-advised to supplement with a different form of vitamin C.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:51 am

Thanks for that link, which is a discussion of mineral ascorbates. The Foundation agrees that among the choices of mineral ascorbate, sodium ascorbate is the preferred form. In his book, Curing the Incurable, Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases & Toxins (2002) Levy recommends ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate orally, but I noticed that he does mention that while some people experience heartburn with ascorbic acid, there is no heartburn associated with sodium ascorbate. Sodium ascorbate is probably the best choice for you personally.

However, I doubt that sodium ascorbate can achieve the "ascorbate effect" (controlling free radicals) so I doubt that 8 grams of sodium ascorbate would be effective in stopping the cold. As far as the pills, I wouldn't. The pure powder or crystals can be mixed with water or a small amount of unsweetened juice, so it is merely a drink every 20 minutes.

But this leads to the lipospheric forms of vitamin C, which are some number of times more effective (and more expensive) than ordinary vitamin C. Livon Lab's Lypo-C encapsulates ascorbic acid, and whether it is twice as effective, 5 times as effective or 10 times as effective as ordinary oral ascorbic acid is subject to debate, but it should not cause you gastric distress and may be an option.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Vitamin C and Infections: e.g. Covid, Spike Protein, Vaccination”