What 'pharmaceutical grade' mean with Vitamin C?

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

orbitc

What 'pharmaceutical grade' mean with Vitamin C?

Post Number:#1  Post by orbitc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 pm

What does pharmaceutical grade mean exactly with ascorbic acid? Does it go through specific national tests or something? Is it a better type?

How does it compare with the ascorbic acid that is 'all natural'? What exactly do these two labels mean and which is better?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Natural Vitamin C Complex Forum

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 am

I hope you have noticed that we devote an entire forum to this topic - So called Natural Vitamin C.

I'm not sure if/what the official purity definition is, but every "synthetic" product comes with an assay of its purity and what else (impurities) may be in the product, etc. Ascorbic acid comes in different grades, but as the number of producers has dwindled, I doubt there is all that much difference.

As far as the Foundation product, it is made in Ireland by Roche, is the highest quality vitamin C there is. We asked our bottler, Douglas Laboratories, if we can say pharmaceutical grade on the label, and they said yes.

One of the problems with so-called "Natural C" is that there is no grade on purity, because it is a plant extract.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by Cis4me » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't have a reference handy, but I believe that "pharmaceutical grade" basically just means that a given product meets standards of purity, documentation of manufacture (lot numbers, locations of all sources are known etc.) sufficent to be allowed to be used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals. Food grade would imply that it is pure enough to use for making food or adding to food intended for human consumption.

I think pharma. grade is the more strigent of the two.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: What 'pharmaceutical grade' mean with Vitamin C?

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 am

orbitc wrote:What does pharmaceutical grade mean exactly with ascorbic acid? Does it go through specific national tests or something?

I asked at a health store if there was ever a test on impurities done with their 2,- €/100 gr ascorbic acid - and got no answer.

I asked at the local pharmacy if theirs - double the price - was tested. Allegedly they did test it on being real ascorbic acid, but not on any impurities.

Considering that most ascorbic acid comes from China anyway, I don't think there is that much difference here, except with the price.

If anyone heard of ascorbic acid tested on toxins I'm very interested to hear.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#5  Post by Dolev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:08 am

If anyone heard of ascorbic acid tested on toxins I'm very interested to hear.

You'll want Dr. Thomas Levy's book for that - Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins. He has around 850 references. I once counted.
Dolev

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by pamojja » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 am

Dolev wrote:Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins

The title suggests this book is more about detoxifying with Vitamin C - than impurities or even toxins which might come with some Vitamin C Products. I'll order it anyway, thanks.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#7  Post by Dolev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 am

Your language wasn't clear that you were talking about toxins IN vitamin C products. Out of the mistake, however, will come a very educational experience if you order the wonderful book.

I have seen lab tests of ascorbic acid from a Chinese company, and the material was quite pure.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 am

Every manufacture provides a "spec sheet" which specifies the chemical properties and purity of their chemicals, in this case, ascorbic acid. The manufacture tests the products, and provides the assurance that the product contains less than some part per (million/billion) impurities. Others may run tests, and a company's reputation is on the line.

Now I haven't seen the DSM Quali-C spec sheet, but I have seen sheets from vitamin C that originate in China and the purities are very high, from 99.9% to 99.999% pure, etc. It is my understanding, and I am willing to be corrected, that Quali-C is 100% pure.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”