Dummies Guide for Starting Vitamin C

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Solari

Dummies Guide for Starting Vitamin C

Post Number:#1  Post by Solari » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am

Greetings,

I am new to this and have been exploring a way to take Vitamin C to suppress my herpes simplex symptoms which aggravate my Meniere's Disease (since studies have shown the herpes virus can reside in the inner ear and wreak havoc). Quite a few folks are taking antivirals like Acyclovir, etc. to treat this, but I would like to explore Vitamin C because it can also help keep me healthy against a variety of other things. Plus I am being a willing lab rat for others with Meniere's who will have an interest in what I am doing. :)

I've read the book by Linus Pauling (How to Live a Longer Life, etc.) as well as researched a lot of material on the internet but there seems to be a wide variance as to what is an effective dosage for treating herpes so I figured just taking enough vitamin C for my body should work well enough and I would be "listening" to what it requires anyway.

My question is, and again there is a wide variance also on this, what is the effective titration method to bowel tolerance? I.e. how much do you take how often until you hit your limit? Do you spread it out over the day or do you start with a surge and then adjust as needed?

There seems to be conflicting data on all this i.e. some say its best to spread it out through the day, but some suggest loading up on it until you hit your limit, etc. I am looking for the most effective way to start this which is why I'm asking.

Also, once you find your comfortable limit and maintain it, how do you how when your body will need more of it if you're no longer "finding" your bowel limit once on a maintenance level? Is the maintenance level pretty steady or does it fluctuate pretty often?

I have already started taking Vitamin C for about a week now and will share my results but thought I'd ask this first and see what the responses are.

Many thanks,
Ray

VanCanada

Re: Dummies Guide for Starting Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by VanCanada » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Solari / Ray >> I am new to this...

Good. You're either lucky or smart (or both) to have found the best place on the planet to learn more.

>> I would like to explore Vitamin C because it can also help keep me healthy against a variety of other things.

You see, I KNEW you were smart.

>> Plus I am being a willing lab rat for others with Meniere's who will have an interest in what I am doing. :)

No Ray, lab rats are almost never studied by "respectable" scientists (smirk, smirk) using adequate doses of vitamin C. If you received a dollar for every lab rat tested using adequate dosing you would be, well, rather broke I'm afraid!

>> I've read the book by Linus Pauling (How to Live a Longer Life, etc.) ...

This puts you in the top percentile of the population already, in terms of knowledge and understanding.

>> My question is, and again there is a wide variance also on this, what is the effective titration method to bowel tolerance?

Have you seen this webpage yet by Robert Cathcart, M.D.?
VITAMIN C, TITRATING TO BOWEL TOLERANCE, ANASCORBEMIA, AND ACUTE INDUCED SCURVY
http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

I'm sure Owen will chime in here about this too with his expertise on the subject (and your many other questions).

>> I have already started taking Vitamin C for about a week now and will share my results but thought I'd ask this first and see what the responses are.

You've gone a whole week and you can still walk, and talk, and type on your computer? What does you doctor say about this? Did you get his approval first? Have you gone mad?

Solari

Post Number:#3  Post by Solari » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 am

I did read the Cathcart stuff as well as other things but there's no real specifics for my situation so I am hoping to get more input here.

Currently, I am trying 6 grams every two hours until bed time to see what my limits are but I have yet to hit them so I am wondering if I am spreading it out too far (although what I have read suggests spreading the dosage out is more effective)? The past three days I have hit between 42-48 grams total each day without hitting bowel tolerance so my guess is I either need to up the dosage every two hours or take it more frequently, i.e. every hour.

BTW I am taking them in 1,000 mg capsule format from the local Vitamin Shoppe. I also have the powdered version but the taste is pretty bad ;).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Ray

Solari

Post Number:#4  Post by Solari » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I ought to update that I finally hit bowel tolerance today after 42 mg. Looks like my limit has been reached even though I didn't have bowel tolerance issues over the previous week.

Would still love to have answers to my questions above, however. Thanks!

Ray

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Solari wrote:I did read the Cathcart stuff as well as other things but there's no real specifics for my situation so I am hoping to get more input here.

Currently, I am trying 6 grams every two hours until bed time to see what my limits are but I have yet to hit them so I am wondering if I am spreading it out too far (although what I have read suggests spreading the dosage out is more effective)? The past three days I have hit between 42-48 grams total each day without hitting bowel tolerance so my guess is I either need to up the dosage every two hours or take it more frequently, i.e. every hour.

BTW I am taking them in 1,000 mg capsule format from the local Vitamin Shoppe. I also have the powdered version but the taste is pretty bad ;).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Ray

Welcome. The only reason to try to "load" vitamin c all at once is to raise blood levels, perhaps to reach cancer killing levels. But I do not think this is the best way to reach tolerance, that is, Cathcart's indication of tissue saturation. Cathcart's table does mention that various levels require several dosages throughout the day.

The issue is diarrhea, and the theory is that whatever C isn't absorbed reaches the rectum cauing the diarrhea. Ergo, no diarrhea, then you have absorbed all the vitamin C into the blood stream . I can personally take 8-10 grams at one time without a problem, but you never know if the next dosage will be way too much which is why some people might take smaller amounts.

But the idea is to get as much vitamin C into your system (without wasting it through
the rectum) as possible. Sounds like your approach is fine, and 50 grams is a pretty high tolerance!

What is in those capsules? Just vitamin C I hope, mostly ascorbic acid?

Check out Lypo-c from Livonlabs.com as a way to add the equivalent of 5-10 g per packet

Solari

Post Number:#6  Post by Solari » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

I am just taking, for the most part, straight Vitamin C in capsule 1,000 mg each format from Vitamin Shoppe. When I run low, I'll run to the local store and get their Vit C 1,000 mg capsule as well but it has about 30 mg of bioflavanoids (in it so I'm not real comfortable with taking that in large quantities unless I'm being overly cautious?).

I also have the powder format from Vitamin Shoppe but dang, the taste isn't easy on me, esp. in the quantities needed.

I just may check out the lipo you suggested.

As for dosages -- it is still fluctuating -- needing to go up lately only because I am just taking enough until I know it's just before loose bowels but it has not been a consistent number just yet. Last week it was around 50mg daily this week it went down to 42 mg and now it has gone back up to 50mg. Any suggestions on what I should try?

Thanks,
Ray

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 am

First, I know you mean gm (grams) not mg (milligrams)

As far as further suggestions, I would add at least one packet of Lypo-Glutathione, and 2 if you can afford it (daily.) We just added it to our online store http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=27

I personally just took a packet for the first time today - and the taste is not bad at all. (I was told that their original version had a bad taste, but that Livon recently improved it). So, I would recommend adding 1 Lypo-Glutathione and 2 Livon Labs Lypo-C along with what you are taking daily. That would be an excellent regimen to resolve a viral infection. Let us know.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by sjmusic2 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:04 am

Not sure if you are already aware of this but another component of Pauling's CHD protocol, namely L-Lysine also has potent anti-viral activity and is specifically recommended to treat HSV. Try googling "lysine hsv" and you'll be presented with lots of info (over 500,000 results). I don't have any experience using it against hsv, but I have used it successfully in conjunction with vitamin C to stop or control cold and flu viruses.

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by sjmusic2 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 am

Another thought, would anyone think using dilute hydrogen peroxide drops in the ear would be of any use here ?

One example... http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/hy ... n-ears.htm

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:52 am

sjmusic2 wrote:Another thought, would anyone think using dilute hydrogen peroxide drops in the ear would be of any use here ?

One example... http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/hy ... n-ears.htm

I don't recommend it, but I have often done it myself before bed (works like an ear plug) - and the "hissing " seems to be a strong indication that there is a pocket of infection somewhere in the ear canal.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

VanCanada

Post Number:#11  Post by VanCanada » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 am

Or simply ear wax maybe?

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”