Vitamin c garden

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

Dolev
quack
quack

Re: Vitamin c garden

Post Number:#31  Post by Dolev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm

You are right sweetjames. Instead of supplements, one should eat 3 kg combinations of oranges, tomatoes and peppers three times a day, plus a bushel full of varied greens. The ideal is a natural primative diet, but we live in the modern world. These organizations you mentioned, and the green freaks who deny lab-produced vitamins, supposedly want to base their opinions on SCIENCE, while ignoring a couple hundred thousand studies supporting the use of lab-produced vitamins. Enough of this BS.
Dolev

Lemonaid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#32  Post by Lemonaid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Without synthetic vitamin D added to food/milk everyone would have suboptimal vitamin D status by the end of the winter in northern temperate regions.

Technically almost everyone still is below optimal vitamin D status of a minimum 40 or 50 25(OH)D.

godsilove

Post Number:#33  Post by godsilove » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Dolev wrote:You are right sweetjames. Instead of supplements, one should eat 3 kg combinations of oranges, tomatoes and peppers three times a day, plus a bushel full of varied greens. The ideal is a natural primative diet, but we live in the modern world. These organizations you mentioned, and the green freaks who deny lab-produced vitamins, supposedly want to base their opinions on SCIENCE, while ignoring a couple hundred thousand studies supporting the use of lab-produced vitamins. Enough of this BS.

What does a "natural primitive diet" entail?

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#34  Post by sweetjames » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

dolev, I recommend you dont get caught up in going with the flow of the modern world to much, it can be hazardous to your health, fast foods, caned food, frozen food etc.... Its important to eat a well rounded healthy diet along with taking your supplements. Try to control yourself when eating, to much of the wrong foods can lead to many problems.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#35  Post by Dolev » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 am

sweet james, of course the supplements go along with improving diet as much as possible.

godsilove,

by primitive diet, I base myself on Weston Price's book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", possibly the #1 most important health book. Primitive diets were basically whatever was available before coca-cola and french fries. I highly, highly, highly recommend Price's book - to read, not to eat.
Dolev

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#36  Post by sweetjames » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 am

A new study from spain using the nutrigenomics technique says scientist report that people with the highest intakes of fruit and vegetables have significantly lower levels of markers of inflammation, thereby supporting recommendations to consume five servings of fruit and vegetables a day

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#37  Post by Ralph Lotz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 am

Both the american cancer society and the american institute for cancer research emphasize that getting cancer-fighting nutrients from foods like nuts, fruits, and green leafy vegetables is vastly superior to getting them from supplements. Eating a healthy diet is best.

Eating a "healthy diet" may be best, but most people don't eat one, and most people can't afford to eat one either.
Ascorbic acid only costs a few cents per gram.

Not only have slim-down programs failed, but government health promotion programs have not been met with much success either. The long-promoted 5-A-Day program (five servings of fruits and vegetables) embarrassingly did not reduce mortality from cancer or heart disease. So the recommendation is now 9-13 servings, but few Americans achieve that level of plant food intake. The failure to reach government established health targets has recently been documented.
http://www.bluecal-ingredients.com/what ... 100201.php
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#38  Post by sweetjames » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 pm

One of the best ways to cut produce costs is to grow your own vegetables and fruits. Produce from your own garden tastes delicious and reduces your food bill.

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#39  Post by sweetjames » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 am

Taking supplements is very important, i take many every day myself, but they dont work very well if they are taken in conjunction with a bad diet. Just because you take nutritional supplements daily, dosent mean you dont have to be concerned with the type of foods you eat. How you fuel your body makes the difference between a long healthy life, or- illness- even early death. Fresh vegetables, fruit, and a wide variety of other whole, natural foods are the very foundation of good health. To many people fall into the trap of believing that supplements are the savior for a less-than-healthy diet. It is always best to get your vitamins from the food you eat,- then your body is in the best positition to benefit from the supplements you take.

godsilove

Post Number:#40  Post by godsilove » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Dolev wrote:by primitive diet, I base myself on Weston Price's book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", possibly the #1 most important health book. Primitive diets were basically whatever was available before coca-cola and french fries. I highly, highly, highly recommend Price's book - to read, not to eat.

Are you talking about the diets of early hominids on the African plains or the diets of working class Englishmen and women during the Industrial Revolution?

And are all "primitive" diets the same? I think there are pros and cons of traditional diets, but I don't fully buy into this appeal to antiquity.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#41  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:40 am

The answer is to read Weston Prices' book, or get the synopsis in Dolev's book. Price went around the world to study societies whose diet had not been influenced by the modern world, as he had become convinced that the 'modern' diet of his time was ruining teeth and bone structure in general. So they are talking about "pockets" of people whose diet was "primitive" in the sense it hadn't been changed by the introduction of refined modern foods, and was the same diet the town or group had been eating for centuries. Interestingly there was little commonality that I could determine between the various diets - whether on Swiss mountaintops, or some pacific island jungle, other than they had not adopted a western diet. (In one case, even though they didn't brush -- and their teeth seemed to be covered by a "green mold" - the teeth and the person were healthy. No cavities, etc.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#42  Post by sweetjames » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:40 am

A primitive diet, (paleolithic diet) would have been mostly meat, fish or wild game that was freshly hunted. Ancient humans ate all the meat as well as organs of animals. Paleolithic humans did not domesticate animals, so milk would not have been available. Im sure they ate eggs when ever they found them, but eggs would not be available year round. Availability of fruit and vegetables would depend on the location and season. Primitive humans did not grow food and would eat anything that they could gather, certain vegetables such as potatoes, are poisonous raw and would not have been consumed. This diet was mostly meat, how primitive diet and green freeks gets used together like they mean the same thing dosent make any sense at all.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#43  Post by ofonorow » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:37 am

To clarify, perhaps "primitive" was the wrong word. Weston-Price was not studying and writing about a paleolithic diet - more than 10,000 years ago -- but of pockets of peoples who were eating the same way they had for hundreds, if not thousands of years in their isolated communities. (Dolev, feel free to correct me :) ) And again, thinking of another post about Kelley's metabolic typing, people at various latitudes and climates would have much different diets at any point in time up to the present - of necessity, depending on what plant and animal life was readily available.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sweetjames
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#44  Post by sweetjames » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:06 pm

The vitamin c content of many fruits is higher when it is slightly immature, and declines as the fruit hits peak ripeness. For only a few (such as the jujube fruit) the vitamin c content does the opposite, it rises with increased ripeness. Vitamin c content also decreases with storage, for example, the Kiwifruit is an exceptionally rich source of vitamin c- a medium sized fruit has 74 mg, while after storage it has 54 mg, still excellent, but a little less. The Kiwifruit is one of the best sources of vitamin c from fruits.

godsilove

Post Number:#45  Post by godsilove » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:23 pm

ofonorow wrote:To clarify, perhaps "primitive" was the wrong word. Weston-Price was not studying and writing about a paleolithic diet - more than 10,000 years ago -- but of pockets of peoples who were eating the same way they had for hundreds, if not thousands of years in their isolated communities. (Dolev, feel free to correct me :) ) And again, thinking of another post about Kelley's metabolic typing, people at various latitudes and climates would have much different diets at any point in time up to the present - of necessity, depending on what plant and animal life was readily available.

How did he know they were eating the same way for hundreds, if not thousands of years? Thinking of my own ancestry, I doubt my ancestors from a thousand years ago ate the same diet as my ancestors who lived 500 or 100 years ago.

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”