German Female Vegetarian with Ultra High Lp(a)

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

German Female Vegetarian with Ultra High Lp(a)

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 am

Hi! I am a slim, active, vegetarian 57 yr. old woman with relatively normal cholesterol, but unfortunately my lp(a) is 129 mg/dl.. I refuse to take statins and aspirin, as have been recommended by my doctor, and am skeptical about Red Yeast Rice, although it may be an option. Which of your products could you recommend for my particular case? I live in Germany. Do you also ship overseas? I´m very much looking forward to your reply. Thank you. Best
regards, Sue L.

That Lp(a) number is EXTREMELY high, so I hope it is inaccurate! (Or that the units are nmols/l - which would still be high!) (And since Lp(a) is part of the total cholesterol (in LDL) I don't see how that number makes any sense??)

How much vitamin C do you now take? I would begin the following protocol (link) and try to discover my personal vitamin C "bowel tolerance." http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8026

You can read about bowel tolerance at orthomed.com/titrate.htm and Dr. Cathcart's lecture is now posted on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmAxiR0SHE

Once you know how much ordinary vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) you can tolerate we can suggest a product. People with low tolerances might require a well absorbed liposomal form of the vitamin.

Smart about avoiding statins - esp. vegetarians. (I have spoken to attorneys whose clients are vegetarian women who have lost major organs (such as their livers) because they were on put statin drugs to be "healthy." A vegetarian does not obtain sufficient
Coenzyme Q10 in their diets to overcome losses caused by the statin-CoQ10-inhibition/depletion problem.

We do ship overseas but apparently there are severe import restrictions to Germany. (Germany is especially anti-vitamin C for some reason?!) People from Germany usually ship to other countries, e.g. France, and pick up the package.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

bbtri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: German Female Vegetarian with Ultra High Lp(a)

Post Number:#2  Post by bbtri » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 am

Consider adding fish oil and niacin. Vegetarians are often short on omega 3 oils. You may also need B-12 since there isn't much in a vegetarian diet.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:11 am

ofonorow wrote:That Lp(a) number is EXTREMELY high, so I hope it is inaccurate!

First of all I think it is important not get too upset about particular blood results, the more if it is indeed accurate. This would only raise your level of stress, and thereby Lp(a) too. Calmly try available strategies to bring it down. Here what was recommended in a TYP special report behind a paywall (already superseded by updated recommendations, therefore I don't believe giving this excerpt could be minded)

Lipoprotein(a) is reduced by:

* Niacin is the most effective direct treatment for Lp(a). However, higher doses may be required than for other abnormalities like low HDL or small LDL. The niacin preparations we favor are prescription Niaspan® (Kos Pharmaceuticals) or over-the-counter Slo-Niacin® (Upsher-Smith). Both are better tolerated than over-the-counter “immediate-release” niacin, which tends to cause intolerable hot flushing. However, immediate-release niacin is otherwise safe but should not be taken more frequently than twice a day. All three preparations are very safe, with little risk of liver toxicity if taken properly. Total daily niacin doses of >500 mg should be taken with the supervision of a physician.
* Estrogen in females may lower Lp(a) around 25%, though estrogen, of course, has other considerations that need to be fully discussed with your doctor. Testosterone can be helpful for men and reduces Lp(a) by 25%. We use testosterone cream with great success. (A common dose for men >50 years old is 50 mg twice per day of a topical cream; dosing is best based on blood levels and must be prescribed). For any hormonal preparation, we advise bio-identical human preparations, i.e, preparations that are identical to the human form, not Premarin® or other non-human forms.
* L-carnitine can be a useful nutritional supplement; 2000–4000 mg per day (e.g., 1000 mg twice a day) can reduce Lp(a) 7–8%, and occasionally will reduce it up to 20%. The only drawback is cost; it can be pretty pricey. L-carnitine is not powerful enough to be used as sole treatment, however. It’s better as an adjunct with either niacin and/or hormones.
* Ground flaxseed (2–3 Tbsp/day) exerts a modest effect of no more than 7% Lp(a) reduction, but it’s healthy effects on reducing LDL and perhaps small LDL make it a useful adjunct. Use it as a hot cereal or added to yogurt or other foods. The seeds must be ground (e.g., purchased ground or ground in your coffee grinder).
* Almonds—Preferably raw or dry roasted (with no added ingredients like hydrogenated oils), ¼–1/2 cup/day, are our favorite, as they not only reduce Lp(a) but also reduce LDL and partly counteract the small LDL particle abnormality.
* Vitamin C—1000–3000 mg/day, with reported reductions of approximately 7%.

Track Your Plaque target: If measured in nmol/l, <75 nmol/l is desirable. In mg/dl, <30 mg/dl is desirable. (However, because of the lack of standardization, “normal” values in your laboratory may vary, depending on the means of measurement; discuss with your doctor.)

Copyright 2006, Track Your Plaque.

The main recommendation nowadays against high Lp(a) there is high-dose fish oil, with a combined EPA/DHA content of 6 grams/daily, which has shown significant reductions in about 60% of those who tried it after 1 year.

ofonorow wrote:... but apparently there are severe import restrictions to Germany. (Germany is especially anti-vitamin C for some reason?!)

European customs handling of vitamins is crazily arbitrary. I heard the same: German customs sometimes don't let vitamin C through. At the same time you freely can purchase a 100 gram bottle of pure ascorbic acid powder for € 1,19 from the 'dm' store (the 4th bottle in the second row. It's Chinese, but in Pharmacies it's the same for at least 3 times this price).

Cobraman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by Cobraman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am

William Parsons,MD who brought niacin cholesterol therapy to the US by way of Canada and Abram Hofer states in his book that it is safe to take niacin 3 or even 4 times a day. His starting dose for immediate release niacin is 1000mg, 3x/day. For time released, 500mg, 3x/day. Do not mistake the two!! Time release in large doses can cause liver damage. Any of these should be done w/ a doctor's supervision.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 am

Maybe someone has an idea how to get high vitamin C/Lysine products into Germany..

Hi Owen,

I just received the vitamins which my doctor has ordered for me to reduce my lp(a). Unfortunately she couldn't fine the Proline to go along with the treatment that I suggested according to Pauling, so now I ll have to order it myself. As it's nearly impossible to get such high doses of Vit C and Lysine, it means having to swallow a lot of pills. I wish there were a way that I could get your products. (Sending to the hotel where my stewardess friend would stay is much to risky, as her trip schedule may change unexpectedly.)

If you can think of a way that it would be possible for you to ship to Germany I would be a very grateful customer!
Best regards
Sue

Well, we can always ship - but the customer takes the risk if it is confiscated by customs. If you live close to France or another country, we can ship there. (Lots of people in Canada have PO Boxes in the USA).

I think you and/your your doctor will have to figure out a way to get it through German customs.

I will post this at our forum. There are very bright people who read and they may have some suggestions for you.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am

It will be confiscated by customs - a friend has already attempted to send me vitamines without filling out the customs statement. I had to open the package in front of 3 armed policemen at the customs office - so I definitely learned my lesson. The vitamines were confiscated - luckily she wasn t fined.

If I make it to visit some friends in France this summer, I ll get back to you!!
Thanks so much for your help!Sue

You'd think some German politician would get on this!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 am

Beside pure Chinese ascorbic acid powder being cheaply available in certain german supermarkets, l-lysin is most reasonable by ordering if from the European distributor of LEF. There are also some German webshops which ship it for a higher price. Only for l-prolin I haven't found a reasonable priced source within the EU yet. Though as an Austrian I got it from iherb through customs already a couple of times (while surprisingly a bottle of TMG was confiscated).

Here a thread about these problems getting vitamins through German custom.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”